Builds The 60 known as Mamabear: a tale of rust and good times. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm going to throw this at it for now:

DENSO 4710204 (471-0204) A/C Compressor $ 231.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 231.79
DENSO 4770154 (477-0154) A/C Condenser $ 118.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 118.79
DENSO 4780101 (478-0101) A/C Receiver Drier / Accumulator $ 16.93 $ 0.00 1 $ 16.93
FOUR SEASONS 26751 A/C System O-Rings, Seals, & Gasket Kits $ 5.77 $ 0.00 1 $ 5.77

My friend has an ac machine and can clear the system and recharge with R12 for me. I'm going after work to clear it out. Once the parts get in, I'll assemble it, leave the belt off and take it to be filled with oil/Freon at his place.

Are you sure the compressor and condenser are bad? That's a lot of coin to throw at something when it may not need it.

The sound coming from the AC compressor sounded like it was pumping air directly out or the compressor has no oil in it.

Those green seals are for R134 systems, not sure if they are backwards compatible with R12. May be better off ordering OEM seals from Toyota if they are available.

Are you sure the compressor and condenser are bad? That's a lot of coin to throw at something when it may not need it.

The sound coming from the AC compressor sounded like it was pumping air directly out or the compressor has no oil in it.

Those green seals are for R134 systems, not sure if they are backwards compatible with R12. May be better off ordering OEM seals from Toyota if they are available.

It's blowing cold and the AC works...its just noisy and worrisome.

If its been out of oil or low, I'm going to venture and say the compressor may be going out due to age and its been under lubricated.

Condenser is visibly bent from a tree branch, so it may not be bad but looks terrible and is fully of bugs and dirt. I've read that the condenser and drier are the two most likely places to hold debris and cause issues. I don't want to dig into the dash unless absolutely needed.

Since that noise is controlled completely by the ac clutch, I'm going to say the belt and idler pulley are fine (both new anyway). If its the clutch, that requires compressor disassembly....if its the bearing that requires the same. Might as well clear the system out, throw a compressor, condenser and drier at it since I'm clearing the system out anyway.

I'm open to anyone locally who wants to help take a look at it. I should be getting parts from rockauto this week.

Oh okay, I didn't understand that the AC was working as it sits. My Condenser has a bent pipe from a car accident, still works. Lol.

New parts should fix it, so no need to take to a mechanic. I'm no AC guy, I just turn the wrench to replace parts :)

I just checked it. There was plenty of charge. If the compressor didn't sound like the death rattle was so serious then I would have let it keep cooking.

My mechanic buddy says 100% certain it's just the compressor having bad bearings.

No leaks on the system so we evacuated the r12 and I'll start repairs when my parts come in. Summer in Houston is no joke. I have to get this fixed or the truck gets parked.

Parts for the AC will be here Thursday and I just ordered all the parts from @beno to refresh the oil cooler system.

One by one, all of the systems in this truck will be replaced.

Is the guy from Coolstream still on here? I haven't seem him post in forever and know that he helped a number of guys out with the conversion parts to go to R134. May be worthwhile to take a look.

Is the guy from Coolstream still on here? I haven't seem him post in forever and know that he helped a number of guys out with the conversion parts to go to R134. May be worthwhile to take a look.

Back when I bought a condenser from them (3-4 years ago), I tried to reach Rex (IIRC) and all I could get was someone else. Then the price for either the condenser or the dryer was higher than advertised on their website. Wasn't really the experience I expected. Take that with a grain of salt because it was some time ago.

I believe Rex no longer works for Coolstream, but they still have the Land Cruiser section on their website.

MUD

This just came in.

Now I need to find r134 conversion fittings, today. And I can have ac by this weekend!

image.jpeg

Sweet. If that's a Denso, mine came with R12 oil in it....

It's a denso. I'll be going 134 so I've already started sourcing the fittings. I'll get it vaccumed and set up right.

Normally I would push for R-12 but my friend with the AC machine isn't set up for it. He's charging me $free.50 to vacuum and charge it up so 134 it is.

Working on this truck is a pleasure! I knocked out the condenser, put the drier in twice (backwards first time) and got the ac compressor bolted in within an hour.

I just need to break the Allen bolts and fittings off of the old compressor, install them on the new one and then replace all the o rings and check fittings.

I didn't expect it to be this easy.

I've been busy for a while. A few weeks ago I took the head off and I've been travelling since....so the head is just now ready to go back on.

I had a "cracked" exhaust valve. I knew this buying the truck, and it didn't intimidate me. So I ordered new valves and springs in preparation. The guides were not worn and the valve seats were fine. It also was surfaced while it was out.

I did have two cracks from the spring seat to plug, so we lead stitched them back together. They were only superficial cracks, so this was purely preventative. No coolant or oil had leaked past anything.

C6CBA5FE-C953-4EF7-9C6D-68F43C266CA3.jpg

F6ED7318-7A42-4DA4-8103-F64351EDA3EB.jpg

DE0C9381-57C4-4B09-8B7F-12192BB1C618.jpg

38BC069E-23EF-47A1-9F44-7DF45B10282E.jpg

Last edited:
A few more. I'll scrub the Pistons when I get a chance to get the carbon off. Shortblock is in great shape. I've seen motors with less miles be far worse.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Eh you have about as much as I had. Small pneumatic 3" 90*angle grinder with a soft 3M pad made quick work of all that.

@gregnash While were talking about it, what is the most certain way to not put the head gasket on upside down and restrict oil?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom