My FJ60 is stranded (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yel

Threads
to start off, i'm a mechanical idiot, so i hope someone out there will help me despite my shortcomings.

bought an '84 fj60 w/ 120,000 miles in florida a few years ago. drove it as a commuter vehicle for 2 yrs w/o major problems. jumped on a plane to california and ordered a vehicle mover to ship it out to me, but the damn thing wouldn't start to get on the truck, and I had to buy a beater to get by as i was already out here. truck ran fine later that week without a visit to any mechanic. the truck's at my parents' house where their equipment mechanic is telling me i have a blown cylinder. a random toyota mechanic from florida said that sounded very unlikely for the miles. my beater in LA has now died a slow death and i really want my cruiser back. it hasn't been driven much since i moved to LA and i didn't have a great mechanic in florida, so i'm sure the engine will have to be cleaned or whatever. wondering if it will pass smog out here.

here are my questions:
-anyone know a good land cruiser mechanic in polk county, florida?
-about how much will i spend to get it to pass smog? will someone in florida be able to test my vehicle for california emissions?
-it hasn't been driven much in at least 3 years. is it likely that the sitting has killed it?
-anyone have a good mechanic in LA area?
-how much would an engine cost if i need one?
-am i an idiot for wanting this truck in LA and having such a mechanically challenged brain?

i love my truck. anyone who could help would be my hero. i want to ship it out here, but can't decide if it's too far gone. please help. thank you!!!

You could end of spending alot to get it to pass smog or just a tuneup and you might be good. It is hard to say. A smog station in FL can do smog but not matter what you will have to get it resmogged at a CA station. But it might give you idea in FL if it is a dyno test on what shape the smog equip is in. If it has been sitting for 3 years the first thing I would do is check the fuel system. Fuel filter, plugs, drain the gas..clean gas...change oil..oil filter.. and so on.

Mark's Offroad in Burbank and he is also on this list.

http://www.marksoffroad.net/

You can find used engines from 3K down like at:

http://www.cruiserparts.net/

No you are a idiot for wanting to drive a cruiser. If you are going to be commuting in it along ways you might not like it.

You need to find some help where the cruiser is in FL. Maybe someone from this list can go over and do a compression test to find out if the motor is still good and check things out.

Goodluck

Just have the it shipped to CA in its current condition and deal with it when it gets there. Most vehicle movers should be able to get a non running vehicle on the truck.

thanks for the help, kevin. may find someone to at least take a look in FL. appreciate the guidance. gives me an idea of where to start!

not ready to get rid of 'er, gainesville, but i'll let you know...

thanks! got a few quotes on shipping a nonrunning vehicle today!

Yeah that is a good idea about shipping it non running. Then you can work on it or just have them deliver the truck to a mechanic if you like.

No reason a truck with miles that low should be dead. "A blown cylinder"...well, blow me, dude. What an ass...get quotes from www.movecars.com for free from dozens of shippers...I've used A=AAA a number of times, cheap, no problems. Start with a compression test. Post your numbers here, we can armchair you through it from there. Don't worry about the smog until you get it running reliably. Oh, and if possible, and it can be started, get all the gas possible out of it before you ship, it'd cost you a fortune to get rid of it in Cali. I don't suppose you stuck a can of stabil in it?

Awesome. Found some good quotes and will get it out here. Trying to get someone to get the gas out first if poss. What is stabil?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom