My FJ45 relationship - It’s complicated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finished the pressings in the crossmember and started riveting today. The dies we made to match the factory rivets is working well and holding up great. Check it out

A3032474-F857-43BB-A0E4-0915815C12CF.jpeg

BA2C821D-5173-4EC9-AB42-D607E262AED9.jpeg

39C7B367-8592-45B9-9DB4-F8BC9759EA1D.jpeg

You’re good. Understatement.

The rivets are 3/8 x 1 inch steel rivets different thicknesses were used in different places so we just cut them to length. I measured the original rivet heads and made the dies in the mill and just TIG welded the forming die to an old air hammer chisel which I then heat treated. I used an old snap on air hammer to set the rivet when they were hot which I heated with a small welding tip on my Oxy rig. I used two bucks one chonky boy made from a hydraulic cylinder ram and another short one welded to a lever to fit inside the chassis rail where it attaches to the rear crossmember. Typically the formula for trimming the rivet to the correct length for proper forming of the rivet heads is 1.5xDiameter plus the grip range but we found the volume of the original rivet head was more like 1.25xD so they formed a bit nicer a tad shorter. I do a lot of riveting for work so it was a fun side project.

Nice work on the rivets !! Could you show what parts you used, or where you got them?

Great info. Very riveting

Nice work, just love these type of treads. Thanks for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom