My FJ40 Was in a Wreck Yesterday... (pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was driving down the road and a girl trying to cross the 4 lane I was on ran a stop sign and pulled out in front of me. Not much I could really do. Locked up the brakes (thanks to the new master cylinder and wheel cylinders I JUST put on it!), but it was useless. Plowed right into the side of her car. I couldn't get it to start so pushed it off the road. Found out the battery got knocked loose and unplugged some wires. Plugged everything back in and started right up. My girlfriends head cracked the windshield and busted the dash. Front bumper bent and some of the steering linkage was tweeked. Not sure about the frame, I'll have to get it checked. Her car was totaled and put on a wrecker. I asked the tow truck driver to help me pull the bumper back so it didn't hit the tire when I turned. We hooked a chain around it and his bumper and I backed up and straightened it out a bit. These things are tanks! The sad part is I was already down one truck because the transmission is broke on my daily driver Tacoma, now it looks like I'll be down 2 depending on what the insurance company decides and I don't have anymore vehicles! LOL Does anyone know how an insurance company can get a value on theses things? I know they are worth whatever someone else is willing to pay and that price keeps going up. I priced the windshield at Safelite and it alone is $1000! Who knows how much else everything else will add up to...

crash1_zps1955d052.jpg

crash2_zps5ddba212.jpg

crash5_zps9719b00d.jpg

crash4_zpsb83faff7.jpg

crash6_zps2dddaddd.jpg

looks like you dodged a bullet on that one.
in all reality, if you do not have any type of collector insurance on it, with the 1k window, the bumper and any frame tweakage they may try to total it.
value to them is something as simple as age and mileage. collector value means nothing to them upfront.

Same thing happened to me on the 23rd of May. I was driving down a 4 lane street when a guy ,not paying attention, pulled out of a parking lot in front of me and I hit the brakes they locked up and I slid at about 40 mph Into his drivers side. I had the roof and doors off and when I hit I saw all of his airbags come out. Luckily no one was injured at all and the police gave him a ticket for failure to yield and he admitted fault. The down side was the guy had some cut rate insurance ,ocean harbor, who never answered the phone and never reached out to contact me. The up side is I have State Farm and they're handling it and will go after his insurance to get the money and my $250 deductible back. The frame was bent and little and need to be fixed along with my bumper, gusset plates, winch and winch plate, spring shackle, and steering wheel needing alignment. No issues from the insurance company trying to total it out or not pay. It does take a while because the 40 isn't in their system and they have to do at least 2 supplement estimates based off what the shop tells them. So I would definitely take it some where that's knowledgable on 40s. But it's taking me a month and I still don't have it back, and it's my only car.

...via IH8MUD app

I got lucky enough that she has Nationwide insurance and they already called me today to handle the situation. The claim rep asked me about what happened and the damage to my vehicle. He then asked me what it was and I said 1975 Toyota FJ40 his response was "Oh, my client said it was a Jeep." It's not a damn Jeep!! lol I told him I didn't know a shop around here that would even be able to give me an estimate because it's a rare vehicle and parts are expensive and hard to find and all the places around here do newer vehicle accident damage. Not much around here in the way of a custom or restoration type shop. You're right on the Blue Book, it doesn't go back that far but I never thought about CL or Ebay for a pricing reference.

The winch appears ok. Didn't look like it broke anything there. The frame gussets were are bent and rivets sheared off where it attaches. The dash got busted up foam and tore off the mounting. Hopefully the frames not bent.

Hey 74 fj40, do you have any idea what they've figured in cost for your repairs??

In the insurance industry, for older collector type vehicles, always go with what is called AGREED value. I have my F67 j45 insured for an agreed value of 35K . Agreed value is what you get if the vehicle is totaled or a complete loss

In the insurance industry, for older collector type vehicles, always go with what is called AGREED value. I have my F67 j45 insured for an agreed value of 35K . Agreed value is what you get if the vehicle is totaled or a complete loss

I did the same thing on both of my Cruisers. I presented the insurance company with appraisal letters and they agreed to insure them for a known value.

Sorry to hear about your 40, that's really unfortunate. Just so you know, you can get a windshield cut for much less than that... closer to $200. If you take yours out carefully, or have a glass company do it, they will use yours as a template and go from there.

Good luck

I got lucky enough that she has Nationwide insurance and they already called me today to handle the situation. The claim rep asked me about what happened and the damage to my vehicle. He then asked me what it was and I said 1975 Toyota FJ40 his response was "Oh, my client said it was a Jeep." It's not a damn Jeep!! lol I told him I didn't know a shop around here that would even be able to give me an estimate because it's a rare vehicle and parts are expensive and hard to find and all the places around here do newer vehicle accident damage. Not much around here in the way of a custom or restoration type shop. You're right on the Blue Book, it doesn't go back that far but I never thought about CL or Ebay for a pricing reference.

The winch appears ok. Didn't look like it broke anything there. The frame gussets were are bent and rivets sheared off where it attaches. The dash got busted up foam and tore off the mounting. Hopefully the frames not bent.

Hey 74 fj40, do you have any idea what they've figured in cost for your repairs??

As of now in not sure because the shop is waiting on the supplement estimate request they sent State Farm to be approved. The initial estimate that State Farm came up with was $700.53 for the bumper and gusset plates and labor but the guys at State Farm were familiar with what a 40 is and were actually excited to see it and look it over. They knew their system didn't have it listed and just came up with a quick estimate to get the ball rolling knowing the shop would have to come up with a real estimate. I should know sometime this week what the final estimate is. Probably $2500- 3000.

...via IH8MUD app

Glad you're OK. Direct your insurance guy To the ICON website and him your rig is worth $100,00 and hope he's stupid.;)

hahahahaha

you can get a windshield cut for $100. Glad everyone is okay...

oh and if you didn't have a battery tie down before... please get one! You're lucky it didn't start a fire... seen first hand what a battery flying around can do.

oh and if you didn't have a battery tie down before... please get one! You're lucky it didn't start a fire... seen first hand what a battery flying around can do.

new oem still available.

you can get a windshield cut for $100. Glad everyone is okay...

I have the battery clamp, but one of the nuts was missing and it just knocked out from the impact.

Two things, check, the cast ears on the PTO winch where it bolts to angle. Those can and will crack. Second invest in some sort of three point seat belts. Back in the mid eighties I came across a 79 in a junk yard. I could see where the driver's head had hit the windshield. That rollbar and three point seat belts went into my 68. The belts lock up fine so I know the 79's driver wasn't wearing it.

Two things, check, the cast ears on the PTO winch where it bolts to angle. Those can and will crack. Second invest in some sort of three point seat belts. Back in the mid eighties I came across a 79 in a junk yard. I could see where the driver's head had hit the windshield. That rollbar and three point seat belts went into my 68. The belts lock up fine so I know the 79's driver wasn't wearing it.

I agree with the seat belts. I had thought about looking for some 3 point belts before, but mainly to keep the cops off me because I've been stopped before when they didn't think I was wearing one until they came up and saw that I only had lap belts. Safety will be the main reason now! Good tip on the winch ears, I'll go take a closer look at those. Thanks.

Flat glass runs around 100 buck installed.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom