My FJ40 hand throttle + crusie(r) control (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rig had a choke that was not being used. cable was just tied out of the way (as it is not needed on my engine/carb setup) and knob just sat dormant. So, I rigged up the choke to attach to the Edlebrock carb at the throttle arm.

Now, I have a hand throttle that allows me to increase RPM's (up to well over 3000 if I wanted) - which I used yesterday wheelin up some hill climbs - without the gas pedal and it has the side effect of being a cruise control on the road (except, obviously, when you hit the brake it does not terminate the cruise control).

choke.jpg

Last edited:
2badfjs said:
home made cruise control........i like the idea :D

no no - home made cruiseR control ;)

I have a similar setup using mountain bike shifter and cable and misc stuff. Ran mine up to the shifter where I can control it on the fly without adjusting my position in the seat to reach for it. Works great for hand throttle, but I wouldn't recommend using it as a cruise control. In a panic situation on the road the last thing you need to be doing is taking a hand off the wheel to reach for the dash.

BMAN said:
Works great for hand throttle, but I wouldn't recommend using it as a cruise control. In a panic situation on the road the last thing you need to be doing is taking a hand off the wheel to reach for the dash.

For same reason as listed above. Getting to the knob to shut down, versus tapping the brake, would be difficult at best. It would work well in situations where you are trying to work the brake, throttle, and clutch at the same time.

my truck came with a setup sort of like that, except its ride beside the ebrake... i'll see if i have any shots of it.

seen here. i thought it was stock? attaches to the gas pedal itself, scary to use at speed because as mentioned you have to reach down to turn it off
truckpic22l.jpg

trainrech said:
For same reason as listed above. Getting to the knob to shut down, versus tapping the brake, would be difficult at best.

I kind of figured this is the route you might go, but.....

somehow we all find it possiblle to talk on a cell phone, listen to a radio, eat, have conversations, watch the road around us, day dream, shift a stick shift, apply makeup, control kids & dogs in your lap AND drive a much more compicated vehicle than a 1974 FJ.

Given that, I think I can manage just fine as I do not see this as a major feat in eye hand cordination when the push in knob is less than an arms length press away on the dash - even closer than the radio tuner knobs and easier to adjust.

chuglife said:
seen here. i thought it was stock? attaches to the gas pedal itself, scary to use at speed because as mentioned you have to reach down to turn it off

interesting... not seen that before. mine is the CHOKE knob right on the dash right in front of me.

wantatlc said:
interesting... not seen that before. mine is the CHOKE knob right on the dash right in front of me.

i couldn't tell you for sure but its got a little picture of a butterfly opening (like in a carb, can't really explain it too well) so really you could call it a choke knob. maybe its just been relocated but its a pretty clean setup so i assumed it was stock. i do still have the manual choke hooked up on my dash

I also have the hand throttle that I thought was stock, is it a canadian thing? Same location as yours (chuglife) mine says "throttle" on it. Looks pretty stock to me. I also have the manual choke still hooked up on the dash. Have used this as CC, but not for very long. full out seems to be about 110km/hr. one click in about 95km/hr

wantatlc said:

somehow we all find it possiblle to talk on a cell phone, listen to a radio, eat, have conversations, watch the road around us, day dream, shift a stick shift, apply makeup, control kids & dogs in your lap AND drive a much more compicated vehicle than a 1974 FJ.

Given that, I think I can manage just fine as I do not see this as a major feat in eye hand cordination when the push in knob is less than an arms length press away on the dash - even closer than the radio tuner knobs and easier to adjust.

Rationalize all you want. All it takes to shut off conventional cruise control is a tap of my foot, which isn't directly involved with any of the tasks mentioned above. I'm comfortable with your setup as you are in California and I am in Kansas. :D

wantatlc said:

Your comparisons are off base. Except for the stick shift thing they are all outside distractions from actually driving the vehicle. In a panic situation, your natural reaction should be to grab the wheel with both hands for maximum control, then step on the brake to either apply brakes and stop the vehicle or cover the pedal in case it is decided that te brakes need be applied. In conventional CC systems once the pedal is depressed the applience keeping the throttle in an open position is released allowing the engine to idle down. You are talking about using a manual lever to hold your throttle open. When you hit the brakes in an emergency situation your throttle will stay open, potentially pushing through the brake system causing un-needed danger to you and others.

Your statement seems to be that you are a better driver than most and are therefore able to control your vehicles steering stystem with one hand while remembering to reach forward and shut off a manual lever that is holding your throttle in an open position as you cruise down the road with your foot kick up in who knows what position.

While I agree whole heartedly that a hand throttle is a useful tool in our rigs. A tool that typically use in at least one or two situations each time I wheel. I also whole heartedly believe that using the same tool as a cruise control in normal driving conditions is a bad idea.

BMAN

TO BE CLEAR: I understand fully yours (and others) points about the risk associated with using it as a cruise control - though my original post does say " it has the side effect of being a cruise control" - as my intention is the utility in off roading application.

However, you are off base in this assumption: "Your statement seems to be that you are a better driver than most....". I am not saying, implying this.

What I do believe is that there are so many, much risker behaviors we engage in when driving, with the point being that I do not put this on a list up any higher than any of those on the list I provided - a list we all engage in. I believe if we can manage all of those aspects of driving, when used in the correct situation (and several have assumed it would just be used inadvertantly and wthout thought) this is no more risker than that incomplete list of behaviors we all engage in that can and do distract us from quality driving.

jeezzzz

Me too

I've used the choke for a hand throttle for some time now.
Not as a cruise control.
I use it in conjunction with a Weber on a "F" w/ electric choke.
I made the final attachment point a section of link chain.
As the floor gas pedal is depressed the link chain is free to go limp.
Works great. By link length adjustment I've been able to
control maximum effect. It has been nice to have with
the winch/ shower/ cold mornings etc.
It's nice to have in-cab idle fine tuning. :grinpimp:

If I remember correctly this option is for a PTO set up. Can you take pics of braket. I'm curious as to how it is attached.

chuglife said:

fjwagon said:
If I remember correctly this option is for a PTO set up. Can you take pics of braket. I'm curious as to how it is attached.

Yes, the hand throttle under the dash is stock for the PTO, for the two barrel carbs, attaching to the pedal (there are still some kits at SOR, I think). The one barrel carbs had an in-dash that went directly to connect with the carb itself. I've posted pics before (of both ends) that might even show up in a search! :rolleyes:

Thanks.....I think I will slap this set up on the 45 wagon I thought I had most of the hard hardware but the more I read, I'm thinking the shaft that comes from the PTO going back to the PTO gear box is not the same length or is it as the fj40. I think the PTO hardware was removed off a 76 fj40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom