My fix for the ever-elusive hatch struts (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello all.. very interested in the McMasters solution. Quick question - a majority of this thread (yes, I read ALL of the posts) seem to deal with 80-100 Series. I have a 2009 LC (200 Series) with the spoiler. Would I order the same size strut as in the OP? I measured my stock ones and the newer version looks to be ~3/4" to 1" longer which as far as I am concerned is just fine.

Anyway - just checking to see if the same part would work. Thank you!

Hello all.. very interested in the McMasters solution. Quick question - a majority of this thread (yes, I read ALL of the posts) seem to deal with 80-100 Series. I have a 2009 LC (200 Series) with the spoiler. Would I order the same size strut as in the OP? I measured my stock ones and the newer version looks to be ~3/4" to 1" longer which as far as I am concerned is just fine.

Anyway - just checking to see if the same part would work. Thank you!
I would start by finding the spec differences between the stock part on an 80 and the stock part on a 200 to see if they're even close.

Otherwise, I would start with the extended length on the 200, then the compressed length on the 200, then take off the strut and weigh the rear hatch at the lift point to determine total pressure to lift the hatch, divide by 2, add 10%, then determine the proper end attachment I could make work by going through MMC's website.

You also need to look at how much extra length in the extended length will affect the opening. The rear deflector on my 80 almost comes into contact with the body at full extension. Some folks' deflector actually dented the roof. I don't know if you have a deflector or anything like that, you may have a roof rack or RTT that you need to consider it may hit as well as if you open your gate inside the garage. Mine will now hit the garage door easily and hard because of the extra length and pressure. But I wouldn't have it any other way because I don't hit my head on it anymore.

I would start by finding the spec differences between the stock part on an 80 and the stock part on a 200 to see if they're even close.

Otherwise, I would start with the extended length on the 200, then the compressed length on the 200, then take off the strut and weigh the rear hatch at the lift point to determine total pressure to lift the hatch, divide by 2, add 10%, then determine the proper end attachment I could make work by going through MMC's website.

You also need to look at how much extra length in the extended length will affect the opening. The rear deflector on my 80 almost comes into contact with the body at full extension. Some folks' deflector actually dented the roof. I don't know if you have a deflector or anything like that, you may have a roof rack or RTT that you need to consider it may hit as well as if you open your gate inside the garage. Mine will now hit the garage door easily and hard because of the extra length and pressure. But I wouldn't have it any other way because I don't hit my head on it anymore.
Thank you VERY much for the info! I’m look at the differences and go from there. Had a face-palm moment after I posted my reply.. didn’t realize this was the 80-Series Forum..

Got the 90# springs in and installed. While they do lift the hatch up, it is very slow and strained. The last few inches it pops right up.. and as expected opens more/wider than stock. Have contacted MMC and they are sending me 120# springs.

i also received the front/hood springs from Lift Support Depot and they are just perfect!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom