My first service flyin solo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kon

Threads
So is it as scary as it sounds? :D jk

sorry for the noobish questions but here we go......

iv got a BJ61 here in western australia, 3B with h55f, brakes were recently done 4mths ago by my mechanic (who retired, the bugger!!) so im pretty much concentrating on oil & filter change, check belts etc

i do have a oil transfer link for transmission but would like to check/topup/replace..

wats the go for engine oils? stick with big name brands? go toyota genuine?

anything i should know before i start?

cheers for any help!

Well for the transmission and transfer case I recommend, 80w90 Amsoil gear oil, it is pricy stuff, but you can change it less and it makes you truck shift better, both the transmission and transfercase.

I would amagine toyota has some great toyota genuine oil's for diesel over there, but if it is too pricy I would just put rotella in it, find one brand and stick with it. Good filters are key.

cheers

the diffs/case/tranny use the same weight oil.
only difference is if you have a limited slip rear, then it needs additive.

your 3b likes 10w30 most of time in warm weather. Also there is a chart in the owners manual(have that?)
as far as brands go, anything that is diesel rated will work. afterall, are we chemist that know the difference? Gotta remember the first 20 yrs of it life saw less than perfect oils. Compared to todays synthetics.

belts, buy yota if availible.

oh ya and get a FSM. (factory service manual) buy from toyota. it is highly recommended on here. read and then ask questions. Also use the search function for this forum. There is much good info here.

Also read the FAQ sections, and the tech section. everything is easy enough for a non wrencher. learning your truck is essential if you drive in the back country.

brownbear said:
your 3b likes 10w30 most of time in warm weather. Also there is a chart in the owners manual(have that?).

I would go with a 15W40 diesel rated engine oil. It's what most people who have B series diesel engines run here in NA, and would be even better for you in the warmer Oz climate. As far as brands go, the most popular seem to be Shell Rotella T or Chevron Delo 400.

As far as the chart goes, there is a Recommended Viscosity chart on page LU-2 of the Toyota B series Engine LC Repair Manual #211-10.

Stone said:
I would go with a 15W40 diesel rated engine oil. It's what most people who have B series diesel engines run here in NA, and would be even better for you in the warmer Oz climate. As far as brands go, the most popular seem to be Shell Rotella T or Chevron Delo 400.

As far as the chart goes, there is a Recommended Viscosity chart on page LU-2 of the Toyota B series Engine LC Repair Manual #211-10.

looking at the chart in my owners manual,

10w30 is the standard one from -20 to almost plus 30.

15w40 is from about -10 to somewhere higher than 10w30, it gets blended on the table with 20w50 and 20w40.

thicker for hotter.

Maybe 13b-t would be better with thicker oil due to higher temps from the turbo.

but for canada it looks to me like 10w30 would be a better choice for 3b guys, as our temps vary soo much.

Personally, I do not like too thick of oils, especially with the vacuum pump and all. thinner oils flow better, only important thing in my mind is adequate pressure.
with thin oils you could have lower pressure do to the oils thinning out too much in the hotter conditions.
thicker oils are harder on everything from the oil pumps to the vacuum pump and on, starting px is or can be too high etc.

I ran 10w30, it got very cold and I had to sw to 0w40. But once it got hot outside I switched back.

This winter I am trying some 5w30 to see how it flows.

what is your average temperature where you are in oz?

Hi Kon Just curious as to how a BJ61 ended up in WA?

avg temp winter = 10-20*Celsius ( 50-70* Faren)
summer = 25-40*C (80-100* F)

rosco - i have no idea.. i bought it from a good family friend who had it as a dd & barely touched dirt with it, but the guy he bought it off was a british backpacker who travelled up and down WA with it until it met an unfortunate ending in a mud pit up north, where it was hauled out, ripping out the front axle and bending the rear!!! Fresh set of axles from the wreckers, quick mechanical checkup and service, he came back down to Perth sold it 6 months later. I only know this cos iv got all the receipts! Before him, i havent the slightest clue who imported it.. or why really...

i do have a gregorys repair manual and a factory repair/service manual, just was hoping for tips and tricks from the masters!!

*cough* suckup *cough*

brownbear said:
15w40 is from about -10 to somewhere higher than 10w30, it gets blended on the table with 20w50 and 20w40.

Hi bb...

I would not worry too much about running 15/40 all year on the Island or the Lower Mainland of BC, Canada, where moderate is the weather. Most 15/40's have -25C to -30C as their pour points. That said, I have run 0/40 Esso XD Synth for my "winter" oil (this is the second year now) in my 13BT, so I can simply jump in and go north or east if I choose during the winter, and not have to change out from the 15/40 I run spring/summer/fall.

hth's

gb

Greg_B said:
Hi bb...

I would not worry too much about running 15/40 all year on the Island or the Lower Mainland of BC, Canada, where moderate is the weather. Most 15/40's have -25C to -30C as their pour points. That said, I have run 0/40 Esso XD Synth for my "winter" oil (this is the second year now) in my 13BT, so I can simply jump in and go north or east if I choose during the winter, and not have to change out from the 15/40 I run spring/summer/fall.

hth's

gb

when I used 10w30 in the winter it was quite heavy to crank. 0w40 starts soo nice. I could not imagine 15w40 for cooler weather starting.

be like cheesewhiz. pour point indeed at -25 but thick as snot. you would definately need manual controlled glowplugs and great set of batterys.

or use thinner oil and not stress it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom