My first rig at 14... HJ47 83 trayback (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well guys this is my first post on these forms and I'd like to start off with my 1983 HJ47 trayback RHD. It got given to me when I helped my dad build a retaining wall for a diesel mechanic. More pictures coming. Also, tray isn't fixed on yet. Saving up for a used mig so I can get it fitted :)
DSCF3598.jpg
DSCF3600.jpg
DSCF3601.jpg

Last edited:
you lucky bastard!!!!!!! Good for you, that is a great looking rig. Take care of it and it will take care of you........

Oh and weclcome to mud:flipoff2:

Odo is broken and I have no clue how long ago that was so it could have done anything!

DSCF3602.jpg

DSCF3605.jpg

DSCF3604.jpg

DSCF3609-1.jpg

DSCF3607.jpg

DSCF3614.jpg

And yes I did install air horns...

DSCF3617.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in Victoria and I got my 40 last year when I was 18 and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Might try the air horns actually coz my horn sounds like s*** atm.

stock '77 fj40 with 31x10.5's daily driver

sebfj40 said:
I'm in Victoria and I got my 40 last year when I was 18 and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Might try the air horns actually coz my horn sounds like s*** atm.

stock '77 fj40 with 31x10.5's daily driver

Got some hella air horns for cheap. I just wired them up to the existing horn but the switch on the dash (top right) stops power to the relay if I don't need the horns.

Like your truck. Looks decent without any restore needed at the moment

Sweet man... Congrats & Welcome!!! Jealous...

-Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

Kid I friggin' hate you! :D No, just jealous, good stuff, enjoy it!

You're not only in the lucky country but you're obviously lucky personally with who you've got for family and friends there Dogdigger.

Many people around the world (and even some in Australia) can only dream of owning and driving a vehicle like that.

And at 14!

:flipoff2: Welcome. I bet you'll be wanting to do much more hard labour now to raise the money to get it how you want.

:beer:

PS. I bought my BJ40 in Perth quite some while back. Here's a pic of my :princess: with it not long after purchase:

1982LandcruiserSandyWA.jpg

I didn't get given it though. It cost me $A8000. Grrrrr.

PPS. That's my wife Sandy there. (We look a bit different now.)
1982LandcruiserSandyWA.jpg

Last edited:
lostmarbles said:
You're not only in the lucky country but you're obviously lucky personally with who you've got for family and friends there Dogdigger.

Many people around the world (and even some in Australia) can only dream of owning and driving a vehicle like that.

And at 14!

:flipoff2: Welcome. I bet you'll be wanting to do much more hard labour now to raise the money to get it how you want.

:beer:

PS. I bought my BJ40 in Perth quite some while back. Here's a pic of my :princess: with it not long after purchase:

I didn't get given it though. It cost me $A8000. Grrrrr.

PPS. That's my wife Sandy there. (We look a bit different now.)

Wow... nice 40. It looks clean! Your wife looks proud as punch!
The hard labour that I do is hauling aroud about 800kg of PA gear. Then I have to set it all up and then use it!

I do have good family and friends. The guy that gave me this is a good friend of dad whom he's known for a long time. My best friend's dad is a rally driver and my other best friend's dad is a fitter and owns a stock 40!

Anybody got any tips for getting it past the pits in 2 or so years time? I just wanted to get an early start :p

Anybody got any tips for getting it past the pits in 2 or so years time? I just wanted to get an early start :p

Hullo again DD.

What's with the railway sleeper under the tray? - I think that needs fixing. (With it sticking out the side I think your vehicle would attract the attention of any passing police car right now.)

Check/replace all suspension bushes.

Check for play in wheelbearings, steering balljoints etc and repair as required.

Check exhaust system for leaks and repair as necessary.

Halt the body rust (regardless of whether your authorities regard it as serious or not).

Check for chassis rust and halt that too if you find any (because they'll definitely classify chassis rust as serious).

Make it weathertight. - The roof gutter area is probably dodgy and when that lets water inside you get further rust problems pretty soon. (But being in Oz you don't have as much rust trouble as we do over here.)

Fix the snorkel inlet and replace those mirrors. (A nicer-looking vehicle with a cared-for appearance is more likely to attract sympathy from the vehicle inspectors than one that looks like a bush hack.)

:cheers:

PS. And obviously change all fluids/filters as a first step in your new ownership if you value reliability and want to keep it running well.

PPS. Oh. And I'd pull the plug on the bottom of the fuel tank to drain any cr@p that may have accumulated there over the years.

lostmarbles said:
Hullo again DD.

What's with the railway sleeper under the tray? - I think that needs fixing. (With it sticking out the side I think your vehicle would attract the attention of any passing police car right now.)

I knew someone would point that out. I forgot to mention that we don't have a welder yet and we need to move the mounts on the tray but it's going ro be permenarntly fixed on within the next month or so

Congrats!!!!!! You're off to a good start. You shoulda seen the piece of crap I had. Treat her right!

lostmarbles said:
PS. And obviously change all fluids/filters as a first step in your new ownership if you value reliability and want to keep it running well.

PPS. Oh. And I'd pull the plug on the bottom of the fuel tank to drain any cr@p that may have accumulated there over the years.

It was only parked for 3 and a bit years but there is a lot to fix up. Dad and I changed the oil and it was as thick as paint (not to mention the "big surprise" of a lot of oil that filled up the oil pan and a bit of a bucket). We also checked the radiator fluid and it came out to be drained recently and we topped it up. The radiator is right about stuffed but the engine temp doesn't ever go past 1/4 on the dial but I'm still shelling out $400 for a new radiator when I fix her up. Thanks for the advice.

anyone know exactly how many HJ47's were produced. On wikipedia it said the 83' models bring a premium for their rareity. Is this true?

Update:
The power socket, clock, horn, lights, heat and fan are now working (all of these were not working before) It's coming along now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom