My first post - Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All!!! I've been looking for an expedition vehicle...been drooling over at Expedition Portal...and have decided that an 80 or LX450 are the ticket. I've found a 97 LX450 thats 400mi away and I have a few questions.
1. How many miles are good for a 97? This one has what looks like 94,117.
2. What is involved in the big 90K service? Who does this service? Cost?
3. From the pics he sent it looks like it has the FF and RR lockers. I'm asking him to send a pic of the data plate to verify.
4. I've gone to the Slee website and read about what to look at. Any more ideas what I can do from here before I travel 400mi to look it over?
5. There are a million reasons why I should, are there any reasons why I shouldn't buy this rig?

What concerns me about this LX450:
In his add he didn't have any pics or info on his/her LX. Just that it was a 97 LX 450 and 13K.
When asked to send pics, he/she took only pics of the drivers side and the interior(where I saw the FF/RR selector and mileage) The pics are very grainy and can tell he/she didn't wash the LX or vacuum it out. In fact no attempt at cleaning it up was made.
I'm thinking I'm not getting a grandpa/grandma driven truck. Or maybe he/she just don't know the way to sell something. It's got some scratches on the front left fender and the paint is worn off on the running board where it looks as if he/she drags his/her leg or something.
Is 13K a good buy? Or are these going for less now that it 2008?
Nada has it for 11250 low, 13200 clean, and 14350 for high.
Nada has a LC for 10475, 12300, and 13300.
KBB is within 300 bucks of the above numbers.

Thanks for any and all helpful advice! This is my first dive into a daily driver that I'm going to make into an expedition vehicle. If this thing really has lockers and is in good shape, I'm gonna freak out! It's also the closest 97 LX/LC to me which is great! There are just none of these things out there! And I was willing to travel! Again, thanks! Walt

Walt,
Post up the general location and ask if any 'Mud members would go check it out for you. If you don't get any bites then find the e-mail list for the closest TLCA chapter and post the same request in their forum/list.

Mileage is low for a 11yo vehicle. Most '97s are now over 150k. There are several "what to buy" threads in the 80-Series FAQ here on 'Mud... read those. When you go check it out, try to buy a RT refundable ticket. If you don't like it then fly back. If you like it, drive it back.

You ask about the 90k service and the cost involved. I believe most here in the 80-Section will agree that you should think long and hard about buying an 11yo vehicle with 100k miles and expecting to have all the service done by a dealer/mechanic. These things are solid and reliable but parts and dealer service are expensive. If you can afford dealer service then fine... go for it.

If you cannot afford dealer service then you need to plan to do most service yourself. Virtually every single thing that you might want to do to your "new" 80-Series has been well documented here.... with tips, tricks, parts lists, photos, etc.

To the question... at 90+k miles, that truck will be due for a front axle service. $200-400 DIY. $1,200 to $1,500 to farm it out. That is about the only thing that the vehicle is certain to need. Other things that it will probably need have been discussed in the numerous threads and it is just speculation until someone looks at the vehicle.

One more thing.... get the VIN and call the local Lexus dealer. They should have the full service history if the PO had it serviced by Lexus (and most POs do.)

Good Luck,
-B-

Last edited:
B- provides good advice

BTW- I cut this out of the thread it was posted in and started its own.

If you post the VIN or message it to me I will give you the carfax for it. I found one with odomotor fraud (at a used car dealer) for sale locally before finding mine.

Also, seeing if a local can check it out for you is a great idea. Otherwise pay the local dealer to do a thorough inspection of it.

That sounds just like me when I was searching for my landcruiser. I searched and searched for months to find a locked 97 cruiser. I got exactly what I wanted except the color. I got a 1997 LX450 with 115,000 miles on it. I paid the full asking price of $13,500 because its never pulled any type of trailer (no harness or plug in for lights or brakes back there), its got the factory lockers, I got 20 or good pictures of it, top to bottom including undercarriage for proof that it was never off-roaded, and besides the usual small scratches and chipped paint and front seat leather wear it is awesome. I contacted my bank and they contacted his and I flew to Colorado and he picked me up at the airport in it and I drove him to work. I had my bank hold off on mailing the check till I called them to let them know its a go. I drove it 1000 miles home to Phoenix with no problems. My seller was top notch so unless you get the same with quality pictures and you feel totally confident I wouldnt do it. There will be more to choose from. Where is this one anyway, I probably seen it on my searches? Good luck with your searches, and dont worry too much about the mileage, I tried to keep the mileage down to like 130, 000 or so and there are plenty, just dont look to hard for a landcruiser with lockers, from this boards info they say there are only like 7% of landcruisers made in 1997 with factory lockers. Thats why I have a Lexus LX450. Take it easy and good luck, you'll love it when you get it.

Thanks for any and all helpful advice! This is my first dive into a daily driver that I'm going to make into an expedition vehicle. If this thing really has lockers and is in good shape, I'm gonna freak out! It's also the closest 97 LX/LC to me which is great! There are just none of these things out there! And I was willing to travel! Again, thanks! Walt

Welcome! Slow down a little on the excitement of this being THE rig for you. It may be, or it may not be... there actually are perfectly maintained, well built rigs available, primarily thru this board. If you are ready to buy, you can monitor the vehicles for sale board and find rigs you can buy with confidence, because the history is documented on mud. That is the safest way...

As previously suggested: post where this rig is so someone can check it out for you. Even a well maintained 80 will need care and feeding, that is the nature of these. But one that has been neglected will need much more, and that will add up fast even if you do it yourself.

Good luck with the search, i know it is hard to contain the excitement of hoping you found THE ONE, but if you're willing to travel to get it, there will be many solid choices over the next few months or so.

mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom