My first FJ40 “Carolin 2.” (build) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found a wire (black) that I don't know where it goes. This wire starts from top of the coil then to what looks like a resistor and then near the battery where I found it, so possibly to the battery, but positive or negative.

Any help would be appreciated

351C06FE-72C6-44C8-8D7B-9A8DD0220787.jpeg

2BCA4B5D-1B47-4095-B52B-1B63F06CD7F8.jpeg

FAD265DD-18E9-4325-B6AB-679E8F0A0F38.jpeg

/\This my 2F does not care

Was looking at my heater today and inside is very dirty and the foam inside is disintegrating. From what I saw it looks like there are 2 hoses going to it that are for coolant I assume and it is held on by 4 bolts on the back.

I was thinking to take it off, wash it, paint it and change the foam inside. Is this as simple as I am thinking or there is there more involved in taking it out?

Was looking at my heater today and inside is very dirty and the foam inside is disintegrating. From what I saw it looks like there are 2 hoses going to it that are for coolant I assume and it is held on by 4 bolts on the back.

I was thinking to take it off, wash it, paint it and change the foam inside. Is this as simple as I am thinking or there is there more involved in taking it out?
It’s pretty much that simple. You need to drain the coolant to get the hoses off that heater core or you’ll have a mess in the cab. There’s heater kits out there but it’s nothing more than open cell foam sheet and some adhesive backed foam tape you can find at any hardware store. There’s a few threads on it on here. I can post some pics if needed.

Not a bad idea to just replace the heater core while it’s out. They seem to start leaking once it’s all freshly back together.

It’s pretty much that simple. You need to drain the coolant to get the hoses off that heater core or you’ll have a mess in the cab. There’s heater kits out there but it’s nothing more than open cell foam sheet and some adhesive backed foam tape you can find at any hardware store. There’s a few threads on it on here. I can post some pics if needed.
Thanks. I was thinking if the heater valve is closed there shouldn’t be much coolant in the system good to know it needs to be drained all the way.

Thanks. I was thinking if the heater valve is closed there shouldn’t be much coolant in the system good to know it needs to be drained all the way.
Only 1 side closes! The heater valve just shuts the door on flow but you still have the other line open.

Looking to buy stainless steel braided brake hose kit for my FJ. There are few out there which one you guys recommend?

Sending you a PM on the spillover hose.

I found a wire (black) that I don't know where it goes. This wire starts from top of the coil then to what looks like a resistor and then near the battery where I found it, so possibly to the battery, but positive or negative.

Any help would be appreciated

View attachment 3167178

View attachment 3167179

View attachment 3167180

Congrats on such a great 40! I'm green with envy over that factory A/C and PTO winch.
My Feb. 1976 CA spec 40 was originally Dune Beige too, but a previous owner (I'm the 4th) painted it P.O.S. (Previous Owner Silver). The only thing left beige is the dash and windshield frame.

A8AEAA3A-83F3-4700-986A-2F482AC63039.jpeg

The black wire you asked about is a ground for the ignition condensor. Here's where mine is mounted under the radiator support rod.

29825EB1-8C7B-4112-8FCA-38ED65751B36.jpeg
AB42687F-8911-4AE1-B149-60A6FA9E8B82.jpeg

Congrats on such a great 40! I'm green with envy over that factory A/C and PTO winch.
My Feb. 1976 CA spec 40 was originally Dune Beige too, but a previous owner (I'm the 4th) painted it P.O.S. (Previous Owner Silver). The only thing left beige is the dash and windshield frame.

View attachment 3172620

The black wire you asked about is a ground for the ignition condensor. Here's where mine is mounted under the radiator support rod.

View attachment 3172624View attachment 3172625
Thanks man. From the pictures you have a very clean and nice FJ40.

I was looking through your pics again and noticed you don't have the PTO winch control shifter in the cab.
????
797D46AF-4467-4146-8A59-CE14A39B4A18.jpeg

Last edited:
So as I was working on the car this thing fell a part. Base on my understanding it’s a hot air intake for the carb and it is impossible to find that part. Is that correct? What happens if I just don’t do anything for it?

A1DAB24D-D716-48D6-BC30-442A12476DE4.jpeg

1361DD31-1B8D-4CEE-9600-9A662E7CD2CB.jpeg

Very nice find! This appears to be a solid truck--What's really cool is you have the history of your new rig--Check out Toyota South Atlanta for parts--I didn't look yet but they may have the carb hot air intake parts--look at their online parts catalogue-(Mr. Kyle Edwards was their Parts mgr for a while--offered discount to MUD members-think they still offer this--one of Beno's legacy innovations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom