My first FJ40 “Carolin 2.” (build) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As some of you guys saw on my other thread, I have been looking for a nice FJ40 for a while now, and I finally found it thanks to @notaclue.

So here we go. You may ask why I named my FJ40 “Carolin 2” for me to buy this FJ, I had to sell lots of my other toys, one of those being my beloved motorcycle that I purchased 13 years ago from NC and because she was from NC, I named her Carolin so naturally she was sold to buy this FJ40 from NC. So the name “Carolin 2” was fitting.

Here is the picture of Carolin
0B518E78-F581-45D9-A17D-EDFBFA7FA193.jpeg

Ok, let’s dive into this FJ40. First, I am grateful to the previous owners and how they all kept records. The history of this FJ40 is incurable, and I am still working on getting all the timelines, but here is a synopsis of its history.

In August 1976, the FJ40 was purchased by the first owner from Downey Toyota in Downy, California, currently known as Penske Toyota. Based on my research, owner #1 bought the vehicle at the age of 63. He had the dealer install air conditioning, and the FJ40 came with two options a Waren Hub and AM radio. He paid a total of $6427 for the vehicle, equivalent to $33,525. Owner #1 kept all the paperwork and receipts from the vehicle, even the SOLD sign that was placed on the car when he bought it. Owner # 1 took the vehicle to a Toyota dealership every year for its service and kept handwritten notes if he bought filters and other parts. The records from Owner #1 stop in the late 1980s, to which I can only believe the owner was not driving a car due to health reasons maybe. Unfortunately, owner #1 passed away in 1994, and someone with the same last name inherited the vehicle. In 1995 the vehicle was sold to owner #2 in Anaheim, CA. Owner #2 also kept a good record of all services as well as carwashes. Owner #2 bought mostly Toyota parts or high-quality replacements for the FJ40, and it appears he took care of the car. Owner # 2 sold the vehicle to Owner #3 in 2001. Owner #3 was located in Rancho Cucamonga, CA, and also took care of the FJ and had the FJ serviced by a Toyota dealer at one receipt in 2014; the dealer notes the mileage of the vehicle to be 66382. The vehicle was sold to Owner #4 in 2016 with 68709. Owner #4 bought the vehicle from California, and the vehicle was shipped to NC. In October 2022, I purchased this FJ40 with 69277 original miles on it and planning to keep it as simple and healthy as possible. The FJ has some surface rust but nothing crazy and it appears to be garaged kept its whole life.

I have driven the FJ40 for about 40 miles now, and because it has been sitting around for a while, it needs work and help, so I will be asking a lot of questions here as I get this FJ40 back to its prime.

Things that I am starting to work on:

Gas tank the smell of fuel in the cab is very strong, and there is a noticeable leak underneath.
The brakes are shot. Going to need new front calipers and pads for all 4 rear wheel cylinders and shoes.
All tie rods need to be changed as well as the steering damper.
Changing all fluids.

A75D6CF9-BBEB-4232-9433-21261FA7B460.jpeg

9C5D4991-3E72-4DCC-93CC-5AE96D7C8EB1.jpeg

8798BEFC-9DDD-4F4D-B154-A8EFEF75CC4F.jpeg

B0CCD9B0-3484-4FCF-A085-3F64EF1AFC74.jpeg

I am changing the fuel tank today.

F7DA673E-37E3-4968-8A06-4109596D3A08.jpeg

6CEC00D9-5DCA-4C59-8C7D-891A92741C25.jpeg

Looks like a first time anyone been here since 1976 🤣. Will clean it up looks like no rust on the car just the tank so it should be easy cleaning.

I believe I found the leak

52428F4E-BA07-416E-A615-7578545F32EB.jpeg
9B67CF9A-C6D3-49E4-9C8A-3668A2237867.jpeg

I am also replacing the filler neck, fuel filter, and all the robber fuel lines. I forgot to order the check valve do you guys recommend to wait and get the part or should I just use the old one? They are expensive.

We have the same pliers! People need to get more excited about pliers. Looking forward to the progress pics.

How do I take this off I can't figure it out?

It has 2 broken hose in the bottom that needs to be repaired and the drain hose for cowl drain needs to be change.

CC1B0719-7A64-465A-9DF9-1E28F2FCD776.jpeg

Has anybody done Raptor Liner or similar inside the FJ40? I am thinking since I have everything out and fixing the rust to go ahead and do that at the lower part as a protector.

Plenty of people have done Raptor and other spray on liners in the interior, maybe they can chime in.
I would be verrry hesitant to add any spray on liner to that cruiser due to the originality.

The plastic piece in your other picture looks held on by the philips head screws that run from left to right in the picture.
You may also have some adhesive/ sealant to deal with from the picture. Probably used to limit air escaping, not sure I don't have dealer installed air!

Have fun

1st I'll say it's your 40 and you can do what you want with it . Personally I would not put any floor liner on that 40. Sterling comment are spot on. Keep the originality. You should find the preserving patina thread that @wngrog started. I think he does a lot with clr, scotchbrite pads, maybe rust converter and fluid film. Then make or get a rubber matt for the rear.

Last edited:
1st I'll say it's your 40 and you can do what you want with it . Personally I would not put any floor liner on that 40. Sterling comment are spot on. Keep the originality. You should find the preserving patina thread that @wngrog started. I think he does a lot with clr, scotchbrite pads, maybe rust converter and fluid film. Then make or get a rubber matt for the rear.

Thats what I am struggling with. I don't mind to see the rust but don't want it to get worse there is only 2 spots that needs help the rest are surface rust so was thinking to protected by the liner but at the same time love the originality.

Plenty of people have done Raptor and other spray on liners in the interior, maybe they can chime in.
I would be verrry hesitant to add any spray on liner to that cruiser due to the originality.

The plastic piece in your other picture looks held on by the philips head screws that run from left to right in the picture.
You may also have some adhesive/ sealant to deal with from the picture. Probably used to limit air escaping, not sure I don't have dealer installed air!

Have fun
The screws go all the way around and can't get to the back screws that's why I thought it would some how come out but haven't found the way yet 😁. As you said the struggle is real one day I am good for liner the next day I say no keep it like this.

For the rear screws this has saved me a time or 2.
3ZH36_AS01.jpg

lining that original floor would be a huge mistake.

I think if you do liner, it will cover the problem, but not fix the problem. It may make thing worse. It will also likely lower the value of the vehicle. There are ways to convert the rust or to do proper repairs and paint the offending spots.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom