MY FIRST FJ40 and link to pics!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
photos.yahoo.com
Whats up guys. Well I finally got my first FJ40, 1972. Got a few questions though.

Q1: It needs a new hard top. I was looking at the fiberglass tops and sides for the total hard top look. I want to keep that look but don't know if the fiberglass will go onto the stock steal body and how will it mount to the original steal body?? Also, how hard would it be to use my original windows from the original hard top and put them into the fiberglass sides for the fiberglass hard top??

Q2: I have the original doors that came on the '72, with the windows that slide up and down, and some half doors that would be good for wheeling. I really don't like the original doors and plus you can not lock these doors. I was wanting the doors that come on the 75 or later models w/ the speaker, locking capability, and the windows that rolled up and down. I was looking at the fiberglass doors for the 75 and later models, does anybody know if these will fit the '72 model?? What is yalls feeling about the fiberglass doors, well made or P.O.S.??

Q3: I was looking at the front bumper/stinger and rear bumper/tire carrier from ironpigoffroad.com. Does anybody have anything good to say about these guys and their products??

Here is the website/link to my pictures of the FJ40.
http://photos.yahoo.com/sebo4wd

Thanks for the help guys. Sebo

, looks like a fun project.

answers to questions

1. im sure you can find a used hardtopin good condition for alot less money than you will spend on a fiber glass one.

2. ehsankiani makes some SWEET half doors, you should have no problem using the newer style doors, i was considering doing this as well

3 check out www.man-a-fre.com they have some nice tire cariers. also metal tech makes nice front/nose protection

the doors will fit but they don't seal as well, due to minor differences in the sealing surfaces.

i would try and find a set of correct hard doors for the year. i think those look better anyway, what with the wing windows and all. plus they area little slimmer=little sideways leg room. in addition they are lockable, and have window cranks.

Last edited:
Hi All:

I know 1974 year doors have the roll-up/roll-down windows and door locks (but no stereo speaker spots!) and shouldl fit your '72 FJ40.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Where can I find some 1974 doors that will fit my '72 with the roll up/roll down windows and door locks?
I can find a spot to put 2 speakers.

Not the doors that came w/ my '72, both the half doors and the original doors. The original doors have windows that slide up and down. Not too fond of this feature.

It looks as if your PO removed a portion of the window regulator. As far as the door locks go; they were a simple tab mechanism as you can see in this photo.

send me a pic of the bumper you want, i can build you one at a fraction of the price

camcruiser13,
the bumper you have on your website under the file 'my rig posing'. Thats the bumper I'm interested in. I saw that one at metal tech and its pretty awesome looking. On Metal techs website it looks like they have bolted it to the existing stock bumper and welded the rear bars onto the frame. How will it mount to the fj40?? Also, what size winch will fit in that bumper and how will that mount?? One more question (promise), gotta have some fog lights. Where do you recommend welding in a spot to mount those?? Thinking of some regular 6" round KC or Hellas. Let me know. Thanks for the offer.

Alaskanwheeler
In regards to the doors, with the window regulators, you are able to use them with the original doors that I have and I don't have to pull the window up or down anymore?? I am able to roll up the windows with the new regulators?? Also, those tab mechanism door locks. Is there a way to lock them with a key and if not how do you get into the cruiser after it is locked??
Thanks

Last edited:
I had the same locking system on my '69; there were locking cylinders on the outside of the rig. Sounds like the PO pulled a numder on you and maybe sealed where the cylinder holes should have been. I could be wrong though; LandPimp would be the person in the know on this subject

sebo4wd said:
Not the doors that came w/ my '72, both the half doors and the original doors. The original doors have windows that slide up and down. Not too fond of this feature.

Are you saying that your hard doors have windows that you manually raise and lower, with a small "handle" that fits into notches at different levels?

If so, this is the same way that OEM Soft door windows work. Your hard doors, if they are this way, are a pretty rare OEM item. There are probably alot of folks who would like to have them.

sebo4wd said:
Thats the bumper I'm interested in. I saw that one at metal tech and its pretty awesome looking. On Metal techs website it looks like they have bolted it to the existing stock bumper and welded the rear bars onto the frame. How will it mount to the fj40??

Pics of how I did mine. I bolted it to the frame using a piece of angled steel welded to the Metal Tech stinger and then bolted THAT to the frame.

See the pics...

DSC00462.JPG

Another one, a little better detail.

We made sure we could retain the tow hooks, as a buddy of mine has a Jeep.... :D

DSC00451.JPG

sebo4wd said:

Those half doors sure look like early to mid 60's FJ40 doors. I found a 1964 pic in my archives with that style. The full doors you mention are worth something to the right person :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom