My First FJ. 96 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to post pics of my first LC, it will be a little bit of a project, but runs and drives, well kind was able to drive it home, now it cranks but doesn’t fire, anyways for $2500 I did expect to put in work, would be my 1st FJ rebuild, I have rebuild 4Runner, corvettes and classics. 216k on the clock, seems like a solid deal. Feel free to tell me ur thoughts, I do have a good vision for what I see it looking like within a year.

89F0CBC4-CFA4-4F05-BDBD-1684C4DCFDFF.jpeg

20739E24-CB59-492E-AEAC-98C29E72C840.jpeg

E81B5F51-9B3E-491B-AF53-F117C93FC9D8.jpeg

33459E30-03C3-4647-B2CC-9F5AD5E5C098.jpeg

248EF91F-10C2-444C-833E-8134EE6029BE.jpeg

Not a bad deal! Sounds like a worthy project. You'll learn quickly we don't refer to these as Fj's, lest these be confused with those cute cruiser impersonators

Nice find and good price!

Look at the intake hose between the filter housing and throttle body. Most likely cracked. Can cause MAF issues and give no start.

Post pics on under hood from different angles. We can help diagnose

Last edited:
Welcome to the club and great find. Finding an OBD2 LC for 2500 is a great deal. Get yourself a scanner and see if it will direct you in the right direction of the no start. But as mentioned earlier check the intake hose as it could introduce extra unmetered air causing an issue.

I’m having no spark, I put 5 gallons in thinking it was just low on fuel, fuel gauge doesn’t work tho, tried to start it with starter fluid, nothing, pulled #1 spark plug, no spark. So a lot of people think it’s the fusible link, so I ordered 1 just hasn’t arrived, I know it starts and drives, drove it home, just waiting on that part now. Once I get it fired, gonna do all the basic stuff, oil change, spark plugs n wires, cap n rotor. Story goes it has been sitting for 2-3 years, so I’m sure a lot stuff to go thru. Plus when I got it the battery cable was so corroded it ate thru the metal, so I’m sure some electrical as well, but so far all buttons, Sun roof work, shifter is annoying, power seats work, seats are torn tho. So lil by lil I’m gonna work on it, just need to get it started back up again to move it do the oil change right now it’s sitting at an angle, plan is to drive it daily. So I’m sure I will find out pretty quick what needs to be replaced.

I’m having no spark, I put 5 gallons in thinking it was just low on fuel, fuel gauge doesn’t work tho, tried to start it with starter fluid, nothing, pulled #1 spark plug, no spark. So a lot of people think it’s the fusible link, so I ordered 1 just hasn’t arrived, I know it starts and drives, drove it home, just waiting on that part now. Once I get it fired, gonna do all the basic stuff, oil change, spark plugs n wires, cap n rotor. Story goes it has been sitting for 2-3 years, so I’m sure a lot stuff to go thru. Plus when I got it the battery cable was so corroded it ate thru the metal, so I’m sure some electrical as well, but so far all buttons, Sun roof work, shifter is annoying, power seats work, seats are torn tho. So lil by lil I’m gonna work on it, just need to get it started back up again to move it do the oil change right now it’s sitting at an angle, plan is to drive it daily. So I’m sure I will find out pretty quick what needs to be replaced.
If your battery cables are really that bad look at replacing the terminals with some MILSPEC terminals and heavy gauge wire. There are a few companies that sell replacement cables and you can still utilize the fusible link.

Starting with a good baseline (replacing all fluids, hoses, thermostat, ignition, knuckle rebuild) is a good starting place. Then worry about the other items.

A lot of people prefer to use OEM Toyota parts, and a great source of OEM Toyota parts is Partsouq out of the middle east. I and others have used them with great success stories.

I already have a few sets, ordered them for my boat and for some reason Amazon sent me like 6 sets of them, so replaced them in the boat, 4Runner, pickup and in the LC, love them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom