My first Bodge (FUBAR stabilizer) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My first Bodge (FUBAR stabilizer) NOW FIXED !!!!

I probably have the most destroyed steering stabilizer ever seen. Of course I first read all the threads about this, carefully examined OEM set up, and inspected the new EMU damper. Set out the pickle fork, TRE lifter, torch, and BFH. Six pack in the fridge in case things got nasty. They did.

Long story short, step 6 came quickly.
One end of the original stabilizer sort of fell apart after the heating/beating. I have the stubby ball joint piece left on the DS rod mount, and I unbolted the SS plate from the PS side with the rest of the damper body attached (this just to claim some small temporary victory). Two questions:

1) If I cut the :censor: bolts off will there be joy, or are they threaded in there too? I have a 4" grinder/saw I'm just itchin to use.

2) Pickle fork slipped and took out a TRE grease bag. Man that happened quickly! TREs are in perfect shape, so I'd rather not replace. Will silicone patch the tear well enough? A bit of grease stays in, so maybe I should just keep an eye on it?

Slee will have to install my caster bushings anyway, so I guess that's my plan B. Since they are in Moab it gives me a few more days to try to resolve my mess.

I was a better mechanic with my D-90!

Last edited:
jim, have you read my recent thread on this? Mine were giving me hell and I had tried all the tricks in the book, but the only thing that worked was a special tie rod seperator from Napa.

Yes ...

I have the NAPA one. Read all the threads ... used all the tools. No joy.

I must admit to some extra "therapuetic" hammering, after it was clear I had already bodged it.

You could probably use a gear puller or a pitman arm puller to separate it. These things are a pain...

Gear pullers were ineffective for me, I finally gave up and took it to a shop and told them to "just do it"... Didn't have a pickle fork or BFH at the time....

This thread is worthless w/o pics. :flipoff2:

pneumatic pickle fork for the win.

Anything I have EVER needed a hammer and pickle fork for had always been a huge PITA. I would spend an hour or 2 beating things apart with the 8lb sledge and the pickle fork.

I used to part out old Rx-7s and one day NOTHING was working. I bought an air hammer from Walmart and the forks in a kit from an auto parts store.

I kid you not, everything comes apart in about 2-5 seconds. It was about $45 for the air hammer and like $20-30 for the fork kit. Best money I ever spent.

Thanks, but ...

I'd need to buy a compressor and tank too. I'm air-tool challenged. A good idea though, and wish I had tried that. As most know, the pullers don't usually work. Yes, a PITA!

Problem is ... The damper is off now. So my questions are not how to get it off but whether I can cut off the remaining bolt and repair the grease boot.

Man, a forum noob and I've already lost at least one banana.

You still have to get the remaining bolt out of the hole... I think cutting it off would be a bad idea because then you have nothing to push against it.

You are saying you used one of these:
Tie%20Rod%20End%20Lifter_t.jpg

???

For me, it took one of those, a MAPP gas blowtorch, and a picklefork + BFH to remove it. I used the separator as tight as I could possibly get it, then I heated the steering arm around the bolt (but not the bolt) and then I pickle forked with a hammer. The first few whacks nothing seemed to happen... the all of the sudden I whacked it and with a loud "bang" it shot out and was done... so it seems to just give, but you gotta talk sweet to it to get it out.

Aftermarket boots are readily available at your local automotive chain. I've never tried one on an LC, but I've seen success with them on other makes. I've found them displayed amongst the (Excell? Energy? some brand like that) urethane suspension parts- sway bar bushings, shock bushings, and like that.

-Spike

NaterGator;2119429 ... but you gotta talk sweet to it to get it out.[/quote said:
And therein lies my failure!

Thanks everyone. Seems like I need to give the lifter/BFH another go, and then get a boot (really didn't know these were available!).

Before the sweet talk, I may try a nice dinner with some wine. Usually works w/ the wife.

all too familiar a story... good luck man. seriously though, post some pics! are you trying to get just the stabalizer off or the drag link ends as well?

Success!!!!

Nater was right ...

the love talk did the trick.

and heat. Lotsa heat.

Funny how those two things work in so many areas of life.

So thanks for taking it easy on this noob. I think I just gave up too soon. Glad you all talked me out of the saw.

Here's to all y'all :beer:

Congrats Jim :cheers:

I do hope you gave 'er a nice glass of merlot to grease the wheels first though :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom