Builds My first 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I decided to buy an 80 series last weekend. It's a 1997 Land Cruiser Collector's Edition with a TRD Supercharger. It came with a ventilated oil pan, so there's some work to do. I'll have some questions, so looking forward to learning from the board! I completely rebuilt the entire drivetrain with goodies on the Trooper and learned a lot in the process I can apply to the Cruiser. Thanks in advance.
IMG_5556.JPG
IMG_5555.JPG
IMG_5562.JPG

Nice score

Welcome to the addiction...

Welcome!

Thanks everyone! I don't know how unusual this is, but my Cruiser does not have a factory roof rack, running boards, or wood grain trim. Not sure I've seen one like this before.

I'm not positive but I believe all of that stuff was port or dealer add on. My 92 doesn't have a roof rack or running boards. I'm thankful every day that I couldn't afford those options when I bought it new in 92. :)

Oh, and nice 80 by the way. :)

Thanks. It appears they must have drilled the roof for the rack at the port??? If so, I'm definitely glad not to have it.

It towed great behind my Trooper, better than I expected! I was probably at the tow capacity for it.

The previous owner had a shop with scrap metal and said I could use his welder, drill press, and anything else I needed. I just used a piece of angle iron bolted on each frame rail top with a couple of Isuzu ISO #9 bolts. I can't recommend what I did for towing, but for my temporary use needs it worked flawlessly. 2 bolts isnt much, but than again many tow bars only use 2 bolts that aren't fine thread either. I'll try to post a pic up later.

Word to the wise, if flat towing slow way down below recommended speed limits on curvy roads. The Cruiser didn't like tracking back and forth.

Here's some pics of the temporary mount. Again, I wouldn't recommend this for any other purpose. For long term duty, it's easy to pull the stock front bumper and you could box the end's of some C-channel to bolt to the side of the front frame.
IMG_5681.JPG
IMG_5682.JPG
IMG_5683.JPG
I decided to throw some Sta-bil in the gas tank since it can take awhile for a rebuild. Started some clean up as well and ordered an engine stand.

Good score with supercharger and no roofrack!! Welcome :flipoff2:

Thanks. Here's a picture of the ventilated oil pan. Notice a drip of antifreeze. Not much loss in radiator or overflow tank. I'm wondering if the headgasket blew and it hydrolocked. PO states his kid was driving it when this happened and I noticed the overdrive was off. Piston is intact. I don't see any bore damage from this angle. Rod is broke on one side and it hit the block on both sides right where the pan bolts up.
IMG_5690.JPG

wooh!:cheers: nice truck ..

Thanks. I wonder if anyone here who has had this happen to there motor could chime in on what kind of damage they found on disassembly?

Update from the past week. A buddy of mine who is a good detailer came over last Saturday
IMG_5758.JPG
IMG_5748.JPG
to see how one of the seats would do with his products. The color came back to original and I think the interior will clean up real nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom