1967 desert find (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After selling my 80 series to start my business two years ago I'm really happy to be back in a cruiser.

It's a '67, I picked it up from Winnemucca, NV. Hasn't ran in a few (5?) years and needs a lot of work. Plans are to sort out the mechanicals and leave the exterior as is. It's got a welded rear which will probably be fixed and go with an OEM style steel wheel. Appears to have original F engine with 3 on tree. There's a little Bondo but very little rust.

If anybody has a line on seats for the front, drop me a line! I'm in Grass Valley, CA

IMG_20211031_203125_956.jpg

PXL_20211031_180210634.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Smart of you to strap the roof down. I bought a ‘64 in ‘92 that was about 10 miles from my house and paid a tow truck to move it. When he got to my house, no roof!😱

Excellent!

OK well 8 months later and things are finally happening. Had our wedding on the property last month so that took up a lot of my bandwidth. I'm going to post a lot of photos as I'm sure some folks will be able to point out some things I have yet to learn.

Step one was cleaning the thing! About a trash can of leaf litter and dirt came out of it. The underside was caked with some crazy sandy mud that basically dried like concrete.

PXL_20211107_174328003.jpg

Got the top and doors off, quickly learned about JIS screws after I stripped out the first one with a phillips bit. Vessel impact driver in tandem with PB blaster worked great on those

Initial state of engine bay
PXL_20211218_205527360.jpg

I'm assuming this is the original F-engine.

Frame tag says FJ40-44215
Engine block tag says 226097
Titled as a 1967

PXL_20220716_192823564.jpg

Got rid of all the random auxiliary light wiring to simplify things. Radiator out, was happy to see good green fluid in there. Plugs out, mystery oil in, and the engine spins freely! Now onto getting things ready to fire- anybody have some insight into this carb? It looks non-original

PXL_20220712_011443936.jpg

PXL_20220712_011454498.jpg

Top and side doors guessing 1/76-8/76 if the three point seat belts are attached to the hard top sides. Picture of the interior window crank handle would probably comfirm if they were off the same cruiser as the top.

Does it have a hatch and barn doors or ambulance doors? If ambulance doors would be curious how they handled mounting the rear doors to the tub. Up to 1/75 rear doors fit against the tub. 1/75+ ambulance doors fit flush.

Interesting set up on the brake master. Also the Rochester one barrel carburetor.

Forgot I have a set of 64-67 front seats. If the latch from a 68 to early 70 driver seat doesn't fit earlier driver will probably sell them.

Top and side doors guessing 1/76-8/76 if the three point seat belts are attached to the hard top sides. Picture of the interior window crank handle would probably comfirm if they were off the same cruiser as the top.

Does it have a hatch and barn doors or ambulance doors? If ambulance doors would be curious how they handled mounting the rear doors to the tub. Up to 1/75 rear doors fit against the tub. 1/75+ ambulance doors fit flush.

Interesting set up on the brake master. Also the Rochester one barrel carburetor.

Forgot I have a set of 64-67 front seats. If the latch from a 68 to early 70 driver seat doesn't fit earlier driver will probably sell them.
I swapped 66 front seats into my’68 for a while. Driver’s seat interchanged no problem. Passenger inboard leg was the only difference.

The view through the windshield looks like ambulance doors.

Thanks for the insight into the carburetor. It actually sounds like folks overall have a good experience with these rochester carbs on 40's. It looks a lot like this model:
I may give them a call and see if I can get a rebuild kit for it

It has ambulance doors. Here is a photo of the setup the day I picked it up:

PXL_20211031_164805929.MP.jpg

PXL_20220717_200703764.jpg

Method of attachment was just drilling more holes.

I swapped 66 front seats into my’68 for a while. Driver’s seat interchanged no problem. Passenger inboard leg was the only difference.

What I am interested in is if the hinge bolt pattern on the driver's outside hinge is the on the 68 to early 70 model as the driver's seat 64-67. For some reason think I may have a spare 68 hinge which is really the main difference between the two. The earlier didn't lock upright. Here is my 10/69 70 model hinge. My early seats are stored in another location.
20220718_125847.jpg

The brake master is a disaster. A dual circuit converted to single circuit. That is just plain dangerous. Please upgrade to a full dual circuit system for ALL of our safety.
Dyno

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom