My exterior brake light won't turn off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

Just seeing if it's a common issue.
Arrived home last night, turned the car off and realised my rear right brake light was still on, despite the car being off.
It just remains on, even with the key out of the ignition.
Couldn't get it to turn off. Ended up pulling the fuse out for the stop light and that turned it off.
This morning went to check it, turned lights on, the stuck light works, but the left does not. Same for when I put the fuse back in. Stuck light just stays on, left rear light does not turn on.
All other lights work fine, indicator, reverse etc.
Anybody come across this?

Cheers

for all vehicles, usually when the brake lights stay on like that it's because that little plastic "washer" thing on the backside of the brake pedal has finally disintegrated; are there small pieces of broken plastic laying on the floorboard? Maybe the right-side light bulb is burnt out now? Look for that plastic debris.

for all vehicles, usually when the brake lights stay on like that it's because that little plastic "washer" thing on the backside of the brake pedal has finally disintegrated; are there small pieces of broken plastic laying on the floorboard? Maybe the right-side light bulb is burnt out now? Look for that plastic debris.
I will double check in the morning, but the reason I don't think it's this common issue is that the rear right brake light stays on even after I turn the car off and remove the key.
The only way I have figured out to even turn it off, so I can leave it in the garage overnight, is to remove the stop lights fuse

The brake lights on the 60 series (and on most US cars in my experience) are not switched. They are always "hot" and if you press on the pedal, regardless whether you have the key or not, the lights will go on. Same thing with the hazard blinkers and the headlights on the 60 series land cruiser.

When you turn on the running lights, the rear lamps should light up (tail lights). But when you step on the brakes, the light should get brighter. I believe a dual filament bulb is used. The wiring to light one filament or the other is different. The tail light filament is switched from the head lamp switch and the stop light filament is switched from the brake light switch.

It sounds like (1) the brake light switch at your pedal is not working (per Kevin) and (2) your left dual filament bulb is burned out.

As @kevin in okinawa said it's probably the cushion. The brake light are always active, hence you can step on the brake without the key even being in and active the brake lights. I think this is a safety feature of most cars.

Here's the part number 90541-06008

In the mean time you can shove a plastic trim clip in the hole on the pedal arm. I did that for a while no issues and waited to throw the actual "cushion" on a larger order. You may have to adjust the brake light switch up or down a little bit to get it to work correctly.

thank you for that, never really took notice to check and assumed that brake lights were not "hot" all the time.
will have a look in the morning. hoping that this is the issue as it seems a simple fix

...the rear right brake light stays on even after I turn the car off and remove the key.
this right here is why I said check for that plastic washer thing. when it fails, the only way to get them off is to pull the fuse or disconnect the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom