My Dual Swing Arm FJ40 Rear Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have been working on this one way or another since January. I searched everywhere for a dual swing arm bumper that I liked - one side a tire carrier and the other side setup to hold 3 jerry cans or a cooler. There were a few designs out there, but nothing that fit exactly what I wanted.
The first thing I wanted was to make sure I could open the passenger side rear door without having to unlatch the swing out all the time. I don't need the basket on all the time, really only when we go out on trips. The rest of the time when running around town my kids use that door all the time. The solution here was to design the swing arms so that they both sit under the clearance level of the rear doors, then to make the basket detatchable. When around town, we would pull off the basket, and leave the swing arm in place with no interference to the door. The next thing I wanted was a little corner protection, and I wanted this bumper not to look like something made out of 1 or 2" channel.
Found a designer, and have been working on this for a few months now. I have one picture posted now, and will add more later over the weekend. Right now we are working on the clasp that keeps the swing arms closed, we hope to have this bumper done over the weekend and get it powder coated next week.
We are also testing the waters on this one; I have not seen a similar design for an FJ40 (dual swing, removable basket). Don't have a price quite yet, but let me know what you think this could be worth based on what else is out there; if your interested in getting one, let me know that as well.
Pics to come, should have lots more on Mon/Tues just after Fathers Day.
iPhone 006.jpg

More pics. Arm pivot welded in and what the back of the bumper where it bolts in looks like. On the swing arm, we reduced down the end of it to allow for a clamp. More to come next week; time for fathers day.
iPhone 020.jpg
iPhone 021.jpg
iPhone 010.jpg

This is where we reduced the swing arm down to allow for a clamp
iPhone 011.jpg

I've got to come see this sometime soon, Scott. Gotta start mine soon.

Nice lookin' design! Looking forward to seeing more pics of this!

Bumper is done and on the 40, been out on the trails with it a few times, still no scratches :)

Basket portion is still not finished - will get some pictures up as soon as I wash all the mud and dirt off of it.

We got this finished a while ago, finally found some time to post the pictures and such. These first three are of the bumper, basket not attached, the clasping system and the hitch.
Naked.jpg
Clasps.jpg
Hitch.jpg

Last edited:
These three pictures show the corners, which offer some corner protection and show how the swing arms are stopped when fully opened.
Drivecorner.jpg
Passcorner.jpg
Stop.jpg

A couple points were added for D-Rings, and this shows what the swing arms sit against when closed. The tire carrier also has two tabs on it, one for the CB antenna and the other for a whip flag for my sand dunes trips.
Towpoints.jpg
skidplate.jpg
Tire.jpg

This is what the bumper looks like when opened (no basket) with and without the tire.
Open.jpg
Nobasket.jpg
IMG_4520.jpg

Pictures of the basket on and off the bumper. The basket bots on with 5 bolts; three vertical and two horizontal. The bolt head is recessed into the swing arm. I drove around for a week with three full water cans on the back before the bumper was powder coated; some off roading in there as well, and have had no issues as of yet.
basket.jpg
basketbolts.jpg
Rearcomplete.jpg

A few more pictures. I have a front runner water can with a spout on the bottom, which you can utilize even when the cans are strapped in the carrier.
Sidecomplete.jpg
IMG_4530.jpg
Spout.jpg

Last few pictures of the cans/cooler in the basket.
Gas.jpg
Water.jpg
cooler.jpg

The overall goal was to build something that would offer some corner protection (like the Kaymar), have the ability to carry a cooler or 3 jerry cans (like the 4Plus) but with a removable basket (which neither have) and combine what I thought were the good points from those and other bumpers. I have been very happy with this setup so far. It is a complete bolt-on setup; no modifications were required to the vehicle. The bumper attaches with 12 grade 8 bolts to the points where the old bumperettes and hitch ball were mounted. I used my factory tail-lights; no extention of wiring was required (I did replace the tail light lenses and gasket).

Dude....That is SUPER COOL!!!! Nice job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom