My dream Hilux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well after Land Cruiser Round Up at Katemcy rocks I pulled the trigger on a 1985 Hilux. Looks to be in pretty good condition but I'm going to give it a thorough shake out. Drove all the way from San Antonio to North Austin fairly well. Anyone have any recommendations of things to do to this thing to make it an off road monster? Or places that sell the accessories and parts I might need or want?
thanks

Pics man, pics!

1. Uselesswithoutpictures.jpg

====
1984 BJ42 frame-off restored, 4E9 Toyo beige
1983 BJ45 P/UP resto project

Last edited:
So what do you plan on doing with it? I think you might find it pretty capable already off road.

So what do you plan on doing with it? I think you might find it pretty capable already off road.
Honestly just a bit of tuning.
I’m new to the classics but love my 16 dc tundra and my old 07 tundra
But I was worried the lil 4 cylinder wouldn’t have the guts to do much on trails

But I was worried the lil 4 cylinder wouldn’t have the guts to do much on trails

For crawling, trails, etc., you don't need power - just the right gearing. Big horsepower is a mudpit thing... oh and that point and shoot rocky buggy kind of 'wheeling.

Depending one what you want to do and how it is already, you might just want to think about lockers, sliders and making sure the gearing is correct. Horse power is more for the swamps etc, but even that stuff needs the right gearing.

I have no doubt! I also have no doubt it is more capable off-road than any of those trundras you've had previously. I am currently looking for a tundra but I don't plan on it getting me to the places my 80 goes or my mini truck will take me. Some vehicles we need, and some are just cool to have and drive. I am sure the tundra is comfortable, but were is the fun in that!

I have no doubt! I also have no doubt it is more capable off-road than any of those trundras you've had previously. I am currently looking for a tundra but I don't plan on it getting me to the places my 80 goes or my mini truck will take me. Some vehicles we need, and some are just cool to have and drive. I am sure the tundra is comfortable, but were is the fun in that!
Man I do love my tundra but it’s my work / daily. I’ve taken it across country and have done some stuff with it but I’d barely call it off road.
My lil Lux is my new baby. I’m blessed that my wife was as excited as me. 40 now and finally getting rondo what I’ve been wanting to.
Love this community as well lots of solid people and knowledge here.

Throw a rear locker in it with some 4.7 t-case gears and let the smiles unfold. You’ll also want sliders... truck looks solid though!

Yeah I heard somewhere that works pretty well. ;)

Add twin lockers, 4.88's and dual tcases leave it looking relatively stock and surprise a few people
hilux river.jpg

First thing I would do is torch off that... thing... hanging off the front bumper.

(you asked...)

First thing I would do is torch off that... thing... hanging off the front bumper.

(you asked...)

LOL! I was thinking it but leave it to KLF to say it!!! Keep it relatively stock looking. Please don’t hack that beauty up.

Looks like a great survivor. Please don't cut/hack/redneck it up.
There are plenty for sale that are already cut and hacked for 40" tires if you want to go that route.
No man this is staying this way
Minus the addition of sliders

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom