My Dog has parvo :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, So I had my original dog, a mini pin mix, Scooter

and this past January my GF and I took in a rescue Italian Greyhound. My dog was healthy, immunized, and good to go.

The Greyhound was healthy, registered, and happy. But from piece of trash owners. AFAIK she was all up to date. Untill she went into heat in the spring like a month later. Well, needless to say, that proved she wasn't spayed, or immunized. She had puppies (my other dog was the dad, never thought about neutering him as I though SHE was fixed).

No big deal, til she had the puppies, nursed them, weaned them, and gave away nice healthy puppies a few weeks ago.

Today, the italian greyhound got sick and was diagnosed with Parvo. So the fxxxer PO not only lied about the spaying, also lied about the shots. I was going to get her shots once I foudn out she was pregnant, but we couldn't (per the vet) untill the puppies were weaned. As soon as that was over, this happens.

FWIW, all 3 puppies are still alive and well and with new owners, so she apprantly got this within the days the puppies left the nest thank God. They've all since been immunized to make doubly sure. Scooter, my other dog, is fine as well. We've updated the new puppy owners just to be honest with them though (they were given away, btw not sold).

But right now the Italian Greyhound is at the vet, in critical care, and hopefully gets well enough we can keep her around a few more years. She's only two. Scooter, my mutt, is sad his pal is gone. And I'm pretty shaken up that Lady is at the vet and I can't see or talk to her :(

Anyone have any happy endings?

Good outcome both times. Don't delay.

My Chocolate Lab is now 4 yrs. old. When he was a pup he got Parvo, he had already received 2 of his shots...but came down with it anyway. It was on a weekend when he first became ill. I called the vet and she said I could bring him in or treat him at home with a non-stop regiment of Gatorade. She said he had a 50/50 chance either way. With those kind of odds... I elected to do it myself, care would be 24/7 that way.

I stayed up 48 hours straight... force feeding him Gatorade. I put it in a syringe (without needle), 10cc's at a time. I took a blanket and pillow and made the pantry room my home (with him) for the next two days.

He got so sick from vomiting, and discharges (from the other end) that he couldn't lift his head on the second night. I put drops of Gatorade on his paw, and he would lick it off. The second day he seemed to get a little better and started drinking a mixture of water and Gatorade on his own. Then he started eating small pieces of hot dogs I hand fed him.

Two days later, he had his full appetite back.

The first dog that had Parvo ( a Lab/Dalmatian Mix), I took to a good friend of mind who was a Vet. I told Ricky to spare nothing in his attempt to save this dog. He used a Bassett Hound as a "Donor Dog" for blood transfusions, and had an assistant stay up with him all night the first night to monitor an IV drip of electrolytes. Three days later...I got a very happy dog back.

Two happy endings! Two periods of terrible worry!

I am praying for good results for you and your companion.

26 or more years ago i had my first Lab and at around 6 months she got parvo, after 4 days at the vet she was home. If it was caught early enough she should be fine. good luck.

Thanks flinkt for the compelling stories and thoughts. Seriously. It means alot.

1 more question: Did the pups have any type of remission or anything later on? I know when they initially get it they are sick, but they can improve as yours did. Any complications months from now... years from now?

My eyes got a little wet reading that... half being happy for you and your friends, and half worrying and hoping Lady pulls through.

Cards81fan said:
Thanks flinkt for the compelling stories and thoughts. Seriously. It means alot.

1 more question: Did the pups have any type of remission or anything later on? I know when they initially get it they are sick, but they can improve as yours did. Any complications months from now... years from now?

My eyes got a little wet reading that... half being happy for you and your friends, and half worrying and hoping Lady pulls through.

No after effects aside from some residual "sluffing" of the intestinal wall for a few days.

Once they "pull through" they seem to be pretty much immune. Its a very serious illness, make no mistake. If caught early, and treated aggressively, chances are decent for a recovery.

Every dog is different of course, if yours is a "trooper"... then I like the odds better than for a dog that gives up easily. I do think that human interaction helps to keep them alert...and less likely to get "shocky" and go down hill. You might check in on her if time allows, and its alright with the Vet.

I'll be praying for you guys. No joke!

My friends dog, a German Short-Haired Pointer, got Parvo what he was just a puppy. Long story short, he is 13 years old now and still kickin. I hope everyting works out for you.

He will make it - good luck - ain't nothin better than a dog!

My lab had parvo, and as stated above by others is currently living a long life.

When I first went to the vet he wanted $500 bucks each day for treatment. I asked how many days he would need to keep Gabby and what the treatment was. Answer 3 days $1500, and keeping her hydrated.

I took her home got an I.V. from a Doc who lived near me and stuck her. After she was feeling better she ripped out the I.V. and I had to resort to a sub-quetanious (sp) injection of 65cc drawn from the old I.V. bag.

From what I learned It is keeping them hydrated until as Flint said the "sluffing" of the intestinal wall can repair itself. Just having them drink does not do the job because the wall is not repaired.

Good luck

Last edited:
have you heard anything about your dog yet? i really hope that she is ok and i will pray for her

Card,
Before moving into pharmaceutical research, I spent nearly 17 years as a lab/surgical tech at a veterinary hospital and have treated hundreds of cases of Parvo virus. It is a nasty disease no doubt about it. The good thing for you is that you seem to have caught it early and have taken your dog in for treatment. The vast majority of dogs that died in our care were either puppies, older dogs or in some way immunocompromised (ie: cancer, kidney failure). The otherwise healthy adult dogs that died usually were not brought in for treatment right away and had progressed to a point of no return.
As has been mentioned already, fluid and blood loss from vomiting and bloody diarrhea are the biggest concerns. Dehydration occurs very rapidly. Treatment includes a constant IV drip of electrolytes along with vitamins and antibiotics to prevent secondary infections. Also of concern is the risk of disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) which is an autoimmune reaction that can be instigated by the infection. The body begins to attack it's own blood cells. It's not good. In the veterinary field DIC is also referred to as "death is coming" because once that immune cascade begins it is next to impossible to reverse.

As you can imagine the treatment is very labor intensive. Aside from being a horrible mess; each dog admitted into the hospital must be kept in an isolation ward and monitored continuously - even throughout the night. Everything that comes in contact with him must be sterilized or disposed of. That is why it is so expensive to treat.

Trust your vet to give Lady the best care possible. We have learned a lot about treating this disease since the early eighties when it first hit the US with full force. From what you describe it sounds like she is a good candidate for a full recovery. Good Luck

I almost lost my now 4 year old aussi/bc mix from it, lots of gatorade, beef broth iv drips and love and she is fine now.
Make them drink, the dehydration will kill them if you don't.
Dave

Well, I spoke to the vet today and also my GF visited her.

She's on 24/7 fluid IV, with antiboitics for secondary infection and also ani-nausea medicine mixed in. ALso getting additional electrolites and sugar (dextrose? IIRC) to balance her metabolism and give her some type of nutrition.

Lady has ceased the bloody loose stools, and while still vomiting it is now devoid of blood and foam. It appears the hydration has at least giver her something substantial (bile?) to vomit. Which overall this is a huge step from 24 hours ago. Vet also said she seemed hungry and interested in the dog food she gave other dogs (but Lady's not allowed yet to eat due to the condition).

She's more "alert" as in keeping her head up, and standing in her cage and lookign around. She's not really walking, or tail wagging, but when the GF visited her, she did crawl immideately into her lap and curl back up.

The vet tech who's giving her the care seems positive, but of course is very direct in saying that they cannot promise any recovery. But so far, I'm thinking for the best :)

Oh, FYI the whole she-bang is runnign me 95 a day, and from what I have found i'm getting off fairly cheap. Also the GF is a grad student which lands us 10 more percent off. Not that it matters to me for my dog.

THANKS ALL FOR THE SUPPORT! It means alot to have the genuine concern and thoughts you all offer! :)

Oh, and I've been told I need to lysol my house and shoes, and throw away the food bowls. Which all makes sense.

The odd thing (which still makes sense but seems excessive) is I need to bleach my grass :( My 1st house I bought 2 months ago had wonderful lush Bermuda, and now I get to kill it all!! :(

Last edited:
Cards81fan said:
Oh, and I've been told I need to lysol my house and shoes, and throw away the food bowls. Which all makes sense.

The odd thing (which makes sense) is I need to bleach my grass :( My 1st house I bought 2 months ago had wonderful lush Bermuda, and now I get to kill it all!! :(

I'd skip the "bleach the grass" thing. It's virtually impossible to keep Parvo Virus out of your yard. It can be distributed on the feet of birds, people, other dogs, cats, etc..

Do throw away the food bowls and sanitize sleeping quarters and other areas she would frequent. Don't spray your lawn though, its a waste of time IMO.

Hoping you guys have a happy ending!

UPDATE: Day 3

I went and saw the girl at 7:30 this morning. They're keeping her with all the cats so she doesn't infect any dogs. She hates cats. I think it's hilarious, but kinda sad at the same time. But she does seem to look around alot, maybe plotting to get them when she gets out. Who knows, but I think the company is good for her :)

She's still kinda weak, but now she's staning up in her cage, and walked up into my lap to greet me. Not really tail-wagging or licking me yet, but still cuddled up to me. I guess she seems more alert and aware (she was like... almost stoned... before), but not really more active.

She definately is more hydrated; the veisn are no longer showing and not drooling/foaming at the mouth.

She had vomiting, but its more substantial fluid (no blood/mucus) and less frequent, and her stool today was only traces of blood (not like the exorcist before).

So she's coming along in my option, and I'm thinking more positive each day. But she'll still be a few more days out I think.

EDIT: Flint, Funny I typed this update as a bump as you were posting the grass advice :D And THANKS AGAIN FOR THE SUPPORT!

Last edited:
Sure sounds like shes headed the right direction. You are to be commended for taking fast action, and making sure she got the care she needed!

Hats off to you Sir!

UPDATE:

She's home! :D :D :D

We picked her up this morning. She's not vomiting, not bleeding, and has regular stool. She looks deathly thin, but not eating for a week will do that to you I guess. She was so happy to be home, and her buddy Scooter has been loving on her all day as well.

She's running and playing like normal now, but being a bit weak as she hasn't eaten in so long. All and all I am quite impressed and thankful.

Thanks everyone, especially flint, for the support. I really meant alot. :beer:

Oh, and for the record, her vet bill was 530 bucks, but after 10% discount I paid 470. It was about 300 less than the quoted me. Not that it really matters, but I was pleasantly suprised :)

oh thats wonderful.
m getting a little teary over here. i love dogs and am very happy for you.

I didn't know there was any cure for Parvo...when I was a kid in Alaska our entire dogsled team died of it, and all their pups (~12 dogs total IIRC)...pretty tramatic as a kid (I was 6 at the time)...

Great to hear!

Another happy ending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom