My Directionals Don't work. What the ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geocities.com
Not sure what this can be. My flashers work fine. Directionals in the front and back don't work. I checked the fuse with an ohmmeter and it is fine.

What the ?

Anyone see this before? I need a clue.

Not sure what you mean by flashers and directionals. The turn signal circuit has a different fuse than the emergency hazard flashers, so check both fuses first. If not that, then check the fusible links, then check for a bad ground.

Seen this often on the older models, usually a bad ground. Can be a burnt out bulb, can be low voltage...

What I mean by "directionals" is the "turn signals". Front and rear are dead. Nada. The turn signals fuse it fine.

The emergency flashers do work.

Would the fusable link be under the steering column near the fusebox? I may have seen one.

(I have an 1989 62')

Swap in a new fuse, even though the present fuse looks fine, it could be bad. (happened to me)

My 1988 FJ62 had a bad turn signal switch when I bought it. The signals, hazards, wipers, etc. are all one unit. Everything worked except the signals, including the hazards. Easy to change, but a spendy little bastid.

Fusible link is right off the battery...

I seem to have the problem that my turn signals work but flashers & horn don't. That's the last electrical gremlin to solve...I guess I should get going on that.

I seem to have the problem that my turn signals work but flashers & horn don't. That's the last electrical gremlin to solve...I guess I should get going on that.

Hazards and horn share the same fuse. Turn signals have a different fuse. So, check your fuses.

I won't be finding the problem anytime soon with my turn signals. We're getting a foot of snow tonight

I'm driving it just the same. This is why I bought it.

Watch out commuters. I'll be out there tomorrow. No turn signals and all.

If you don't have 4WD or AWD,..... stay home, dammit.

I checked the horn/hazard and that didn't do the trick. I'll have to get the multimeter out tomorrow and poke around. All of my other electrical problems were ground related. Every connection was corroded.

Horn Hazard Update

I wanted to update this thread with my experience.

My horn and hazards were not working but my turn signals were.

The hazard switch has a small plastic pin that connects the rocker switch cover to the actual switch mechanism which is vertically oriented in the steering column. If you push the rocker cover to the on position and keep putting pressure on it the pin will probably break (I think the PO did this).

I drilled a small hole in the vertical switch mechanism with a dremel right angle adapter. I then found a small screw and cut it to the proper length so it would go through the switch mechanism and into the rocker cover pin hole. I had to file the plastic steering column cover to accommodate the new screw head. Flashers work great now!

As for the horn, it seems to be the classic ground pin and ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom