My Diesel gelling adventure in a little town in Wisconsin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I live in the midwest about the same latitude as Des Moines or Chicago so it gets pretty cold here, but not unreasonably so. I've never had trouble with the 3B starting or running in the winter, I've heard stories of diesel gelling but I *know* the stations around here sell winter mix stuff plenty good enough for the temps we see. Yeah..

So here's the truck: 85 BJ73 with the rotary style IP 3B.
V3uMdRsl.jpg

(In a decidedly non winter environment, but hey its the picture I had)

I was visiting a friend in souther Wisconsin. According to the phone it had gotten down to -15F overnight, it was about 0F when I went to start it. It took a little bit of cranking but nothing unreasonable, started up and ran no problem. Cool. About a half hour down the road it starts to lose power very very slowly. Its snowing and I'm not driving very fast so I don't notice right away. Eventually it gets to the point that it'll barely pull the truck along even in first gear. Luckily I'm just pulling into a little town. I pull off on a side street and park. I know I've got fuel and electricity. It idles really rough for a few more minutes then dies. I poke around under the hood for a few minutes but I don't see anything amiss. Well it must be gelled diesel, I can't find anything else wrong, but why did it run for 30 minutes them? I start googling. This is my first lesson.

It turns out that when diesel gels up it it isn't all the diesel that gels. Diesel has paraffin in it and that's what separates and kind of "waxes up." It had taken that half an hour to pull enough of it through fuel lines and such to clog it up enough that it wouldn't run. If I'd realized what was going on immediately the proper course of action would have been to add diesel 911 (power service) to the tank the moment it started waxing up. Diesel 911 isn't the greatest for the engine but it will de-gel everything. But I wasn't that smart and now everything is gelled up.

Its still about 0F without the windchill, I don't want to know what it was with the windchill. The good news is that the NAPA was only about a block and a half away. I walk over to the NAPA buy some Diesel 911 and ask what they've got for fuel filters. The reading I did said to put 911 in the fuel filter about 50% with diesel as well as mixing it in the tank if its so gelled it wont run. It also said to replace the filter if at all possible. The guy asks "What's the model and year of your truck?" "Trust me, it won't be in your system." The I remember that I think I've seen the same fuel filter in my uncle's 2LT minitruck. I have him look for that in the computer. No luck. I'm not even confident I'd be able to get the fuel filter off, last time I did it in a shop and nice weather and it was a royal PITA. Well I'll try just putting the power service in the tank, mixing it around and using the hand priming pump.

I pour quite a bit more 911 into the tank than the directions say, jump around on the rear bumper for a while, then commence pumping with the hand priming pump. It is incredibly stiff and hard to pump. I pump it around 125 times then try to start the truck. No bueno. Well back to the NAPA for a strap wrench to get this fuel filter off, and to thaw my hands a little. I warn the guy I'l probably be back a few more times.

When I get back out to the truck I prioritize, fine motor skill stuff first, undo the wiring clip for the fuel filter sender, gross motor stuff second, undo the filter. Surprisingly it comes out relatively easily. I pour a out a little of the diesel on the road (I know greenpeace but I'm kinda desperate right now) and mix in some 911. I screw the filter back on and commence pumping and priming. Still no luck. Well the filter must be wholly crapped up. Back to the NAPA. I bring the filter in and the guy says "let me check my catalog again. Would a 85 diesel Toyota truck be right?" "Um yup" Apparently if you look for minitruck it won't show up, but if you look for truck it does. Well they still don't have the fliter in this store, but there is one in the town I came from and one in the town I'm going to. Useful. Next we start looking through the books to see if there's some other filter that'll work. A 3386 looks close so I'll try it, I'm really desperate now.

I take the filter. I have two jerry cans on my truck and one of them had some diesel it in. I check that the filter will thread on, then mix 50% power service and 50% diesel in the filter and install it. Next I prime it again. Probably pump it another 200 times. Still nothing. I call my dad and warn him he may have to come pick me up with a trailer after work.

Well I'll walk down to the gas station three block away and get some fresh winter mix diesel. It'll dilute what's in the tank and mix around the 911 that's already in there. And it'll give the stuff that's in the fuel filter time to mix around. When I get to the gas station I go inside and ask what their diesel is rated down to, and make small talk until my hands have thawed. I go outside and start filing the cans, even this diesel is pumping slow, it must be a little thick too. I carry it back and mix it in the tank.

Time to keep cranking. The motor will pop every once in a while but it still not running. As per the owners manual when I start my truck I let it glow, put the throttle to the floor and crank til it starts. For some reason I try cranking with my foot off the throttle, it starts to sound a little more optimistic and eventually starts. Its running super rough. I let it go for a minute or so and then try to rev it up. It dies immediately. Another lesson learned. Since fuel is constricted when you try to rev it up it supplies the engine with a lot more air but no more fuel and so it dies. If you've gelled up your diesel don't try to start it under full throttle. I start it again and let it idle away, slowly increasing the rpm's with the hand throttle as its able. After about a half hour of idling its gotten to the point it seems like its running ok. I call my dad again and tell him he may not have to come after all.

I let it idle a little longer and make one last trip back to the NAPA to get some pre-treat so this never happens again. Everything I read online said you'll only let it happen once, and I can 100 percent confirm that. It wouldn't have been a terrible job in a shop in the summer, but that's not when it happens. It only happens when its beyond balls cold outside. I was lucky to be very close to warmth and a car parts store. If it had happened anywhere else I would have been screwed.

So the moral of the story is USE ADDITIVES! and if you do feel your truck start to gel up act faster than I did.

Last edited:
Lesson 2, always keep at least one fuel filter and the tools to change it in the truck. I do this on every diesel vehicle I have owned / currently own.

I learned this lesson on my Hilux. Thankfully I learned in my driveway. I decided to install a heated fuel filter near the tank and wired it up with an inline thermostat that turns on the heater at 45 degrees F, off at 75 degrees. I plan to install a similar setup in my BJ42 and HJ45.

Ah...that's so miserable in that kind of cold. I'm not so sure I would have stuck it out. Towing it to the nearest heated garage would probably have been my default action.

- throttle to the floor to start a 3b?, in the FSM?. seriously.

you got a new filter, you pumped your primer 125 times, blamed the filter, went back to napa and got another filter, pumped 200 times?

WTF ?

Change your primer pump, its not seasonal diesel or filter.

diesel is diesel, drain your sedimentor of H2O, prime, glow, start.

Lesson 2, always keep at least one fuel filter and the tools to change it in the truck. I do this on every diesel vehicle I have owned / currently own.

Amen. This is the second time I've needed a filter. I had one clog so bad the truck could barely pull fuel through it once.

Ah...that's so miserable in that kind of cold. I'm not so sure I would have stuck it out. Towing it to the nearest heated garage would probably have been my default action.

I was three hours from home, if the heated garage had been nearer I would have chickened out too.

you got a new filter, you pumped your primer 125 times, blamed the filter, went back to napa and got another filter, pumped 200 times?

WTF ?

Change your primer pump, its not seasonal diesel or filter.

As per the owners manual that's how you start it.

Diesel is not just diesel my friend. Around my parts in the winter they mix the normal #2 diesel with some #1 to get it to handle the cold enough. The priming pump was so hard to pump because of how thick the diesel was.

<snip>

Per the owners manual I have and the several FSMs, yes. Though I never start my BJ73 this way.

I cannot speak for the OPs truck, but my truck does not have a sedimentor from the factory. I will likely add a heated fuel/water separator in the future.

0 F, -17C for us canadians isn't that cold.

diesel is diesel, it is thinned in winter.
...last night i started a 1980 bj40 after sitting for 4 months, summer diesel, old filter, -15C, glow, key = start

Does your truck have an EDIC?, upon ignition it will "overinject".
Show me in the FSM/Owners manual, where it says to matt the fuel peddle.
Keep in mind, all my diesel land cruisers (7) are '84 and before.

The fuel pick-up in the tank has a screen. You can't get to it without dropping the tank. Paraffin wax and/or biodiesel made from animal fats will settle out of diesel fuel in the tank and clog the screen when it gets cold. Nothing you do with the fuel filter will have any remedial effect. It's starved for fuel at the tank. Draining the tank and rinsing with kerosene, [or 'stove oil' as it's known in northern states] can usually flush the screen clear. If the truck has a fuel sedimenter, then you can easily disconnect the fuel line there and blow compressed air back through the intake screen in the tank. However unless the wax/fat is drained or kept warm the screen will again clog and stop the engine.

Canadian winter diesel is adjusted regionally and seasonally; it's not just 'thinned' summer diesel. The paraffin component is removed from winter diesel and the biodiesel lubricity additive is cold filtered to remove fats.

Last edited:
The fuel pick-up in the tank has a screen. You can't get to it without dropping the tank. Paraffin wax and/or biodiesel made from animal fats will settle out of diesel fuel in the tank and clog the screen when it gets cold. Nothing you do with the fuel filter will have any remedial effect. It's starved for fuel at the tank. Draining the tank and rinsing with kerosene, [or 'stove oil' as it's known in northern states] can usually flush the screen clear. If the truck has a fuel sedimenter, then you can easily disconnect the fuel line there and blow compressed air back through the intake screen in the tank. However unless the wax/fat is drained or kept warm the screen will again clog and stop the engine.

Canadian winter diesel is adjusted regionally and seasonally; it's not just 'thinned' summer diesel. The paraffin component is removed from winter diesel and the biodiesel lubricity additive is cold filtered to remove fats.

That may have been exactly what happened in the tank. Maybe it was adding that extra fuel that finally stirred the 911 enough to eat the paraffin off the pickup.

Last edited:
When that happened to me, adding about 10 liters of premium gasoline to the tank of diesel would often 'cut the wax' if it wasn't below zero F.

Here in the interior of Alaska I do not have much trouble with gelling until the temperature gets below -40 F. We are having the mildest winter in history. Last week it got down to -30 but it has been above zero for almost all winter. Our fuel are blended for the cold. This is my first winter driving my 85 truck with a 2lt. Other than glow plug issues all has gone well.

0 F, -17C for us canadians isn't that cold.

diesel is diesel, it is thinned in winter.
...last night i started a 1980 bj40 after sitting for 4 months, summer diesel, old filter, -15C, glow, key = start

Does your truck have an EDIC?, upon ignition it will "overinject".
Show me in the FSM/Owners manual, where it says to matt the fuel peddle.
Keep in mind, all my diesel land cruisers (7) are '84 and before.

Slight hijack [on]

You hit the nail on the head with "it is thinned in the winter". The times I have had issues with paraffin settling out and clogging lines / filters have been in the Southeast US when an unusually early cold snap came and the winter blend diesel (winterized 2-D in the attached pdf) was not yet in the supply chain. The most memorable time was in the early 90s in Northeast Alabama. I filled both tanks of my F250 on a Saturday in October when the temperature was in the mid 70s. On Tuesday morning it was 5F when I got up to drive to work. That engine had an electrically heated fuel filter, but I still had to change it twice on my 40 mile drive to work. I realize that 5F is not too bad for your area, but a 65F swing is enough to cause us problems with our "summer blend" diesel (or at least was in the good old days of high sulfur fuel).

Every time I have had an issue has been a result of an early cold snap that occurred before "winter blend" diesel was in the supply chain.

I attached a pdf of two pages from my 1986 Owner's Manual. I have highlighted the notation of using winterized diesel. Additionally please note step three on the starting procedure (cold). I did not scan the warm start up procedure, but it states half throttle.

My truck has EDIC and I know how it functions. I DO NOT mat the throttle on start-up on any vehicle, much less the 3B, nor have I ever cracked the throttle on any diesel I have owned / own while starting. However, the Toyota Owner's Manual calls for that and I swear I have seen it in the FSM as well.

Hijack [/off]

Attachments

• 1986 LC Owners manual pages.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 160
My truck is the rotary style pump which means no throttle diaphragm or edic. I don't know how much of a difference that makes on start up but it is a difference.

many diesels can safely handle up to 20% gasoline in the mix according to their manuals. It's not a bad idea to blend in 10L per tank fill up. It's anti-gel and it'll start a bit easier when cold.
I run 40% vegetable oil all winter long on the east coast of Canada with 12% gasoline. It's never gelled at -30 Celcius and always starts ok.
It is best to always have a fuel filter on board, also a filter wrench and 2 cans of Seafoam.........one to fill up your new filter and one to dump into the fuel tank. Standard for running a diesel. Never be hung up on bad fuel again.

Regarding cold start procedure, the wife and I follow the owners manual on that with no ill effect.
Remember the the throttle on 3B, 2H and other Toyota diesels is not directly linked to the rack inside the pump, but to the butterfly valve in the intake, the rack is regulated by the pressure difference on the two sides of the butterfly valve.
So by putting the accelerator to the floor, you supply max. air but don't forcefeed it fuel untill the engine builds up a pressure difference, at which point you should have removed your foot long ago...
I know this procedure seems odd on a conventional diesel where the throttle is attached to the rack, but this it a different system.
Toyota would'nt have written it, just for fun, or for you to blow up your engine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom