My daughter's 4-runner in body shop. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sunset South Carolina, Tamassee, South Carolina
My daughter was driving her 4-Runner to the beach on saturday to go surfing. Not paying attention while she was on her cell phone and she rear-ended a 2005 Silverado. :mad:

Fortunately, no one was hurt. The guy she hit was really cool and didn't have an attitude with her. Will get the estimate tomorrow, hopefully, it won't be totaled. Both air-bags deployed so it may put it near that magic number where the insurance company won't repair it.

No pics, sorry. The impact took out the entire front clip, bumper, grille, lights, fenders, hood, radiator and support, wheel well liners, windshield, etc. We'll see what my body shop says.

I hate it when this happens to me..............:rolleyes:

sorry to hear that Capt. but definetly glad no one was hurt, cars can be fixed..........hope all works out for you :cheers: you need to come take a vacation to the upstate bring up the 40 and do some nice relaxed wheeling :D!!!

Sorry about that Jim, as long as her Mac wasn't hurt..haha. How is her school going?

Mongofj60 said:
Sorry about that Jim, as long as her Mac wasn't hurt..haha. How is her school going?

School is going good for her. She returns for spring semester next week. The only disruptions this past semester were hurricanes Katrina and Wilma.

BTW, the younger daughter got a Mac for Christmas. She loves the I-movie program.

Gundy said:
Glad she's OK. Tell her lynn and I send our love and hope she gets a new LC out
of the deal. :)

Thanks Dave, She's up at Florida SState in Tallahassee visiting her best friend who went back to school this week. After the last Land CRuiser and a college student budget, I think she would prefer the better gas mileage of her 4-Runner.

glad everyone is ok.
but here's a little story for you about driving and talking on cell phones.

a couple of years ago, i had a parts driver who was watching a full size ford weaving ahead of him. as my driver was passing this truck, he notices the female driver talking on her cell.
at this time, she starts to drift onto the shoulder of the road where an older man was pulled over working under the hood of his mini van.
she plowed into this guy, launching him over 100 feet killing him instantly.
my driver saw everthing that happened and the stupid b%@%h got off a vehicular manslaugter charge.:mad: how? $$$

i would like to know what is so important that people need to be on the phone while they are driving?
if you gotta call someone quick while driving, fine.
but to talk for no particular reason while driving....:confused:

sorry capt. but how big is the beach,and how do you not see a full size silverado in front of you?

good thing it was'nt kids playing in the sand.

just my .02
and still glad no one was hurt..

Couldn't agree with you more, 2Bad. I have preached this to her since day one and fore-warned her of this day. I think (hope) she has learned her lesson.

Capt. Jim said:
Couldn't agree with you more, 2Bad. I have preached this to her since day one and fore-warned her of this day. I think (hope) she has learned her lesson.

i hope i did'nt come across being harsh about this.
i see alot of people talking and driving at hwy speeds, and that is unacceptable.
people have hard enough time driving as it is.

i'm not a perfect driver by all means,i just try to more responsible. ;)

thanx capt.
jim

Happy to hear she is okay. I know it must have been scary for her. Maybe this will help her... although it's gonna cost dad some bucks. Lesson hard earned for any young driver.

Sounds like a total to me, but I missed the year of 4Runner.

Glad she is OK and she didn't hurt anyone.

Cruisin'Carolina said:
Sounds like a total to me, but I missed the year of 4Runner.

Glad she is OK and she didn't hurt anyone.

The year is a '98. How do you guys figure the value of the vehicle prior to the accident? Does good (new) tires, good interior and cosmetics, etc. keep the value higher, or is just a table with year/mileage on it?

I'm hoping they won't total it. Much easier to eat a $250 deductible than buy a new vehicle.

Also, can I contest the value of the vehicle if I feel they place it too low? I have never been able to buy a vehicle at the NADA published values.

Thanks,

Jim

Some cos use NADA, but any good adjuster should use that as a starting point only. I agree it does not always fit. I think plunging domestic values skew the overall numbers, and mess it up for Toyotas (bias on my part I think?)

I only adjusted property losses, except for flood totalled vehicles during Floyd. We could make exceptions and add on value for any recent upgrades like a new engine, tires, or battery. Just remember (as I'm sure you will, you have demonstrated a good level head time and time again IMO) routine maintenance doesn't count for much.

If it is totalled (maybe not a bad thing,(?)? go prepared with listings. from private parties, for similar condition and miles. The more work you do, the better the outcome will be.

In my experience most people's discontent comes from an initial offer being perceived as too low (when reality dictates otherwise). If you research it, you should get a feel for the true market value (not a used car dreamer dealer looking for marks), and you will do fine.

I never had many problems as long as people could document (helps the adjuster document and justify his file) the worth....

I'd go armed with KBB, Edmunds, autotrader, etc......

Thanks CC. I am glad to hear what you have just posted. I expect to hear from the body shop tomorrow. I'll post what their findings are. The body shop owner knows me well and has gone to bat for me several times against the insurace company. He is also on my insurer's list of preferred shops.

what year 4runner is it? I have a 97 chrome bumper with only a small dent that I will sell. Took it off when I got our TJM.

It's totalled......

My body shop guy called me today and advised my 4-Runner (daughter's) is indeed totalled. He said $10K would be fair but said I should try to negotiate it higher, as it is in good condition. Plan on getteing her another 4-Runner.

Any advice on what to do get the most from my insurer?

What year is it?????????

From what I can tell if $10K isnt fair get ads of vehicles similar that have been sold recently in your area. Get several and then you can prove that the price is lower than what most are selling for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom