My Custome Tire Carrier (PIC's) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok,

I posted several weeks back that I was working on fabricating a tire carrier to work with my OEM bumper and promised that I would post some pics once it was complete. You will find my previous post here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=50575&highlight=oem+tire+carrier
I have been very pleased with the design. Like I said in my past post, I mirrored the design off of a carrier Christo made several years back w/ some minor modifications. I spent some time on the latch system because I wanted it to look somewhat factory plus be strong.

I know this type of set up is not for everyone, but I figured there are several guys out there that would be interested in this as an alternative.

Last edited:
Looks great!!!. Very clean and it looks much better than the Kaymar that bolts on to the OEM bumper. :beer:

Sweet! Looks excellent!

Looks awesome. That is kind of the setup that I would like to go with. Any chance on making some more? I would be interested. That looks much better than the Kaymar bolt on unit.

Very clean design. :)

acolella said:
can you accomodate a high lift jack onto it?

Yes, I'm sure there is. I have several ideas of how to do this. I still have to add brackets for a light and cb antenna.

Real clean, I think you got as close as you could to a "factory" looking tire carrier. If you are up for making more, I would surely be interested in buying one.

:cheers:

THat is great work there! Did you use the spindle assembly from slee, or did you gather parts from other vendors?

Zane, well executed. Looks pretty familiar now everyone will want one. However there is a slight problem. The latch is called a over the center latch. The principle is that the latch goes over a point and then pulls against itself to stay shut. The U bolt piece should have been at the angle as I have shown on the picture attached. You need to move the latch point.

You have the latch with the safety clip, so it won't jump open, but you are putting to much strain on the safety clip.
sof_latch1.jpg

sleeoffroad said:
Zane, well executed. Looks pretty familiar now everyone will want one. However there is a slight problem. The latch is called a over the center latch. The principle is that the latch goes over a point and then pulls against itself to stay shut. The U bolt piece should have been at the angle as I have shown on the picture attached. You need to move the latch point.

You have the latch with the safety clip, so it won't jump open, but you are putting to much strain on the safety clip.

Christo, Thanks for pointing that out, I had no idea. Looks like I will be doing some changes. I thought that there was quite a bit of pressure on that safety clip. Sure don't want the safety clip to fail. Now to try and figure out the easiest way to move the latch out more or the clip in to make it correct.

Thanks

zjz,

Great work. Christo brought up a good point, but your a smart guy, actually smarter than most on here including me. Keep up the good work, and figure out the latch location, etc. A lot of people said this couldn't be done with the existing bumper system, but you have proved them wrong.

GM

GM

Damn, that is friggin' sweet. Nice work.

Doug

mooker82 said:
Looks awesome. That is kind of the setup that I would like to go with. Any chance on making some more? I would be interested. That looks much better than the Kaymar bolt on unit.

Several folks have asked this question. As for making some more of these to sell, I think that would be a really big challenge. My understanding is that Christo considered doing something similar several years ago, but found that there are slight differences in the rear bumperett and rear frame between years so it would be very difficult to fab up one bracket that would work for all FZJ or FJ 80's. Pending a high number of potential buyers, Christo may be able to work through these issues and start selling them. I enjoyed pulling it together, but do not have the time to develop these for sale as it took me several weeks just to do this one. Regardless, I'm sure they would sell rather well if produced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom