My cruiser is sagging on on front left (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2004 LC is lower on the left in front by about 3/4" compared to the right. As far as I know the suspension is all original.

I don't want to increase the ride height.

Will simply replacing the shocks fix this or is there more to plan for "as long as we are in there"?

Shocks won’t do s*** to fix ride height, fortunately 100 series have this amazing thing called “torsion bars”, which allow for “BIFF” ( Big Improvements For Free) by just turning a bolt. 😮

Thank you JLB. Now here is another question I should know the answer to but do not. When I picked up my LC from the dealer yesterday they said the leaning was probably due to the air bags in the front wearing out.

Do these even have air bags? I thought not!

If you have AHC, you have hydraulic adjustable suspension, which would absolutely cause that. It's great when it works*. Do you have a dial and buttons near your gear shifter?

No, there is no adjustment for the suspension settings.

I'm wondering if the service rep was just guessing...

The torsion bar on that side is either worn out, or, although unlikely, it just was never adjusted properly. I have also seen a torn mount where the torsion bar meets the lower control arm (there are a few threads in the forum regarding this)

If you have an 04 Land Cruiser, you do not have AHC (hydraulic suspension, not air), you have standard suspension so adjusting the torsion bars is your next step.

Thank you JLB. Now here is another question I should know the answer to but do not. When I picked up my LC from the dealer yesterday they said the leaning was probably due to the air bags in the front wearing out.

Do these even have air bags? I thought not!
On a 19 year old vehicle, I can’t guarantee what your vehicle has…

Unless you’re using the term “Land Cruiser” term very loosely, or you live outside the US, you shouldn’t have AHC (hydro pneumatic) suspension from the factory.

As @SkidMarcus mentions, it could always be a broken bracket on the front LCA.

Turn the torsion barbbolt WHILE there is no LOAD on the suspension.

If you do determine that an adjustment is needed, spray PB Blaster or some penetrant on the adjusting bolt at least a day ahead of time. When I change out my suspension for the Ironman kit, I applied antiseize to the bolt to ease cranking the torsion bars where I wanted them.

I suspect something may be broken on one end of that torsion bar.

If you do determine that an adjustment is needed, spray PB Blaster or some penetrant on the adjusting bolt at least a day ahead of time. When I change out my suspension for the Ironman kit, I applied antiseize to the bolt to ease cranking the torsion bars where I wanted them.

I suspect something may be broken on one end of that torsion bar.
Kinda like this?

Kinda like this?

Exactly! Your search skills are better than mine. I've seen a few on here break on the adjusting end as well.

Well it's fixed, by the dealer – with everyone's help. I brought it back to the dealer to have the center the steering wheel (was not quite perfect after the alignment this week). I told them the experts on the LC forums said to adjust the torsion bars and an hour later it looks level to me!

Thanks again for all the guidance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom