My Cruiser Is Getting Old - Gas Leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well with 242K and still ticking I have another problem. It seems when my gas tank is topped off, which I hate :mad:, I've developed a poring leak. See here in New Germany an attendant must pump the gas. And let me say the gas really pours down the fill tube towards the tank and then onto the ground. If it is filled up and not top off there isn't a problem. So now I have to watch the attendant like a hawk. I had a mechanic at the local shop check for a leak with ultraviolet gas pumped into the tank and he said he really couldn't see where the leak was but it was leaking. He did say that there was a lot of rust in the area around the fill tube and was afraid to touch it and break something. So my question is - Has anyone had a similar problem?

You need a new filler tube or tube, there are two of them! I can see that it may have rusted as you folks use salt and the rear side window leaks! You need to take the cover off where the jack is stored and inspect under the rubber protective cover over the filler tube. I suspect that's where you will find your problem. It should be easy fix.:)

Also check where the filler tube meets the xmember above the rear axle. Mine drips right on the rear sway bar when I fill it. Leaks there once in a while and Ive been dreading messing with it.

If you fill the tank till the pump clicks itll leak till theres no gas in the tube. Just fill to 3/4 for now.

D

Also check where the filler tube meets the xmember above the rear axle. Mine drips right on the rear sway bar when I fill it. Leaks there once in a while and Ive been dreading messing with it.

If you fill the tank till the pump clicks itll leak till theres no gas in the tube. Just fill to 3/4 for now.

D

Your leak is super easy to fix. You can get a new hose for it. I just did a long range tank and replace the hose all together. The hose you are talking about was literally melted on to the metal tube. I suggest you change it because when it gives it will be ugly!:)

Explain the new hose thing a little more man.

From what I can see there are 2 hoses going from the filler area to the top of the tank, one big one small. Both of mine are crusty as hell and flaking. The leak is coming from the larger hose at the x member.

D

OK, I like easy. Without taking everything apart, where do you think will be a good place to start? And, where do you think the leak is most likely to be coming from?
Screen shot.jpg

The tank inlet pipe or inlet hose is where Id start. Just look under your van after the next fill up and follow the drips.

D

I tried doing that the last fill up and it was pouring out so fast I was taking a bath and wasn't able to tell where the leak was coming from. My guess is it is somewhere near the top of the fill tube.

It is smaller hose attached to side of the tank inlet. I agree it has to be the tank inlet!

It is smaller hose attached to side of the tank inlet. I agree it has to be the tank inlet!

I should be able to tell when I take the side off from the inside of my cargo area?

Take the plastic inner fender off behind your rear drivers tire.

D

Will do, thanks. I'll get back.

The smaller hose looks like the breather line shouldnt be a leak there.

The most logical places a leak could be (based on your diagram):

1. Fuel inlet hose (cracks, bad/worn seal) (20.00 SOR.com)
2. Fuel tank filler pipe (bad/worn seal) (20.00 SOR.com)
3. Piece that connects the two together (looks like a hose clamp)
4. Gasket between Fuel inlet hose/pipe and fuel tank.
5. Fuel tank inlet pipe (100.00 used SOR.com)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom