Builds My build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So on another's advice I'm starting this thread to keep track of my info better, as my posts are all over the place.
Picked this beaut up about three weeks ago and love it so far. As soon as I get a nice day gonna pull intake and throttle body off and clean the s*** out of it. Gonna install catch can, new rocker cover gasket, thermostat and switch over to waterless coolant. Soon on the list will be 2.5 exhaust probably straight piped. Also have new hubs, but still have to purchase the adapter/spacer kit.
I'm new to these rings so bear with my ignorance. I've learned a lot from you guys but not nearly enough. Thank all of you so much!

20190201_174517.jpg

20190201_182018.jpg

Sorry, forgot. 1991 LJ78. Right auto hub no bueno, left one works fine. No cracked head symptoms have surfaced so far but EGT gauge is also going on soon. Also gonna service clutch fan in coming days

Thanks guys and I'm not sure honestly. I bet guy I bought it from wouldn't know. I know they were on it in Japan pre import

I know you said that your left hub wasn't working. Have you pulled it apart yet? It may just be gummed up. The grease in them is really old at this point. A good cleaning and new grease might free it up. They have a tiny little motor in there, but the motor is pretty long lasting if someone didn't damage the brushes when it was reassembled.
A lot of people are really down on the auto hubs, and I agree they can be problematic. But, they have been on these trucks for 25-30 years and lots of them still work despite no maintenance. So, it can't be a complete crap system.
I still run mine and they work flawlessly. If they fail, I will replace them with manual hubs, but as long as they work, I am fine with them.

I may try that first. Thanks for the advice. When I pulled hub plate off everything inside was so clean. I was very surprised. Didn't look like a bunch of water or contamination has been inside. May look different though when I actually pull hub

Couple questions. When replacing rocker cover gasket is this where you need to squirt a little form a gasket? On back side of rocker cover? I've heard a couple people mention this.
Also, do you have to remove injectors to remove intake manifold? Never done any of this so I'm winging it and dont wanna get in over my head. Any advice is appreciated. Anything else I need to be looking for while I'm in here? Had a day off so getting my hands dirty. Wish it was a little warmer

20190306_100950.jpg

Sealant goes on the front where the cam gear is attached. Basically the corners of the upside down U shaped part. A bit at the back 2 corners wouldn't hurt you either. Better to have it in a couple of extra spots then have it leaking all over your engine.
Intake will come off without removing injectors. You can pop the lines off without removing the injectors. When you put the lines back you will need to bleed the air out. Don't crank down on the flare nuts when you put the lines on. Just past snug and check for leaks. Tighten a bit if it's seeping. You don't want to ruin the contact surface on the piping.
Watch the wiring on the glow plug resistors where it attaches to the manifold. Don't want to forget and turn the key on while that is laying there and set the glow plugs off. You will let the smoke out if you do.

@Sd1975 have you downloaded the manuals for your truck? When doing this work it's really worth having a look at them. It details all this stuff. Toyota manuals are really well written and easy to follow. Good to ask people also of course. In addition to what Nas90tdi said, there is a little half moon rubber piece at the pack of the cylinder head if I remember correct. Where that meets the head needs silicone too. Make sure to clean off all the old silicone with a razor. Clean all the surfaces really well; wipe with brake clean.

Not hard at all. If your primer pump on the fuel filter works, just crack the nut loose at the injector one at a time and pump it until you get diesel. If the primer doesn't work, you can do the same by turning it over a few times.
Once it cranks it may be a bit rough for a bit, but it will get the air out and it will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom