My 97 has some vibrations... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

offroadkid

GOLD Star
Threads
Our 97 we just bought has 140K on it. It has a vibration when coming to a stop, and while sitting at a stop. It seems to go away after a few seconds. I bought an extended 2 year, 24K mile extended warr. covering everythihg, except brakes, belts and the radio, etc. I want to take it to Toyota to get it checked out. Will they know what it is? Is it a common problem, or will they tell me it's normal? What else should I look for before I take it in? Thanks!

We need more info on the vibration :slap:. Where does it seem to be coming from :eek:? Front, rear, left side, right side, center, engine room, steering (can you feel it through the steering wheel, does the wheel shake, etc.) brakes (pedal pulsate, etc.), does it follow the speed of the vehicle or the engine's rpm, do you have the a/c on or numerous other accessories, etc., etc.

Wayne S :cheers:

of course, the dealer will say that the vibration is normal... don't they always...? :D
E

Okay, it happens without a/c, it seems to be coming rrom the middle of the vehicle, you can feel it in your arse :D. My wife was sitting in the middle row seat, and said she felt it more prominent there. I notice it when I come to a stoplight, (sitting still in drive) it will come for a about 10 sec. then smooth out. The other thing I notice is a high pitch whistle on accel sounds like from the muffler. Other than that I'm stoked on my new purchase! Thanks again for the help.

I could be the torque converter???
You might want to have the tranny fluid changed.
If you have a tranny shop do it, don't get a power flush. I don't know why but others can help with that.

It almost sounds like the RPMs are droping when you come to a stop, watch the tach and see if the rpms are droping below 600 when you come to a stop and then creep back up to the 600 mark. If so may need just a tune up, new filter. May have a vaccum leak some where. later Robbie

Even if its not a tranny problem you should change all the fluids; tranny,t-case,diff, rad, brake and power steering(ATF fluid)

Josh,

You might want to check all your exhaust hangers. It might be the exhaust resonating around on some broken hangers at or near idle. That's the only thing I could think of, besides the tourqe converter, that would be in the middle of the truck.

Check your belts for the whistle sound could be that they installed non-OEM belts. If you have cogged belts it will whistle when the cogs come in contact with the pulley. I had to go back to OEM.

I posted the exhaust hanger problem a while back but that was when the site went down because it was on line number 58 :eek:. The hangers to check would be at the rear of the second cat and the rear of the muffler. They tend to rot off. The exhaust will also whistle as you describe. My solution was Borla. Solved both the hanger and whistle problem.

could be an aftermarket muffler badly mounted or a broken/repaired factory mufflet. Do you have the resonator (second small muffler/tin can near the tailpipe)? If not you will supposedly whistle.

Also a common problem is loose heatshields on the exhaust on the engine side of the cats. The upper clamps tend to break causing a rattle you only hear at low rpm or idle. Wait until its cold then try rattling those heat shields by hand. A new clamp is a cheap fix.

My '97 has a similar vibration except mine is very intermitent and happens at idle and sometimes at various speeds--Does not seem to be related to the RPM tho as when it does it I have shifted up and down maintaining the same speed and it doesn't go away. If I speed up or slow down tho it goes away.

My Chukar hunting buddy and personal LC consultant Jeff who is the Service Manager at Carson City Toyota tells me to "just drive it"--of course it never does it when we go hunting together or when I take it in for service.

Compared to my FJ60's it is nothing--in any of the 60's you would never feel it anyway with all the other noises going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom