1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 97 fzj80 auto tranny is acting up. Help.

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Zog, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Zog

Zog

I posted this on Pirate4x4 also.

So my truck has about 117K on it and the tranny is starting to act up. It seems to stutter from a dead stop, mostly when the truck is cold. It also seems to not shift correctly sometimes and is getting really bad gas milage from what it originally got. From 15mpg to around 12mpg now. I havent changed the fluid since I got it, but it is full and doesnt look or smell burnt. I have never had a auto before. Will a fluid/ filter change fix it or is my tranny ****ed? How do I go about changing the fluid filter, how much does it hold? I really hate autos, but I dont have the $3500 or so to put in a 5spd. Anyone have any experiance with this, this is kind of shaking my faith in the 80 series.

Rick.

2. moralien

moralien

Try draining and filling with new atf several times. Do this two or three times and go from there.
    N

3. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Since this is not pirate we would say fawked or messed up. ::)

I would start by following Nick's suggestion and see what happens. It is cheap and easy to do.

4. Pitbull

Pitbull

Do a complete fluid exchange using Mobil1 synthetic ATF it will take about 15 quarts. The nice thing about the exchange machines you can see what is coming out. Also these transmissions don't have a filter only wire mesh. Don't put any transmission flush in your transmission just do the fluid exchange. I do this every 30K miles and now have over 136K on mine and it works like new. Good luck