my 82 POS turd polishing. future 532 DD runner. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got this 40 at the end of 07 or 08. I was looking for something in need of a little work and I would make it a DD/runner. Runs good drives good and pretty complete 40. The only real issue is that it was wrecked and I was never told about that. Anyway I have moved on to doing what I have to do and probably more.
Ive been working on this for just over a year now so I figured I would throw out here some of my mess and damage. Hell if anything its always cool to see pics.

Disclaimer: What I know now about fj40s and how to work on them I have learned from Mud in the past 3 to 4 yrs. First time welding , changing rear main, busted birfs, added sag power steering, and working on the disk brakes on my 69.
P1010156.JPG
P1010234.JPG
P1010154.JPG

Some more of my issues. Ive seen alot better and ive seen alot worse.
Dealing with what Ive got.
P1010189.JPG
P1010191.JPG
P1010192.JPG

I have a ton of pics and I will expalin better as i go but I figured this would be good for starters.
P1010234.JPG
P1010238.JPG
P1010235.JPG

from last week getting some of the panels to fit right. I have already welded in quarters rockers and some misc patches from dash and around tranny hump. I will back up and do this alittle more origanized.

Feel free to comment as I have been learning as i go.
IMG00543-20110925-1144doors good.jpg
IMG00549-20110926-164982 dorrs.jpg

used a ratchet strap to pull quarter panel in aprox 1/4 inch. someone welded the quarter to far out, trowing the opening between the ambi doors out. I cut it apart and fixed while I repaced the top of the fender well that was jacked up.

Decided to cut out the few bad spots on the dash instead of the whole dash. I feel good about it. Lines up pretty good. Those pics look like crap but its straight and cluster fits perfect.
82 dash metal.jpg
old dash metal.jpg

This is myback tracking to last year. Figued I would show alittle of my progress and some of what I'm working with.

Painted rattle can beige just before I tore down to see what I thought (I will be going back to mustard yellow). I just couldnt shake the mustard although I'm leaning towards making the mustard with a little more brown/green tint.

The POS in the title is for my neighbor who loves giving me a hard time.
"you still working on that POS? Cant believe you paid money for that POS."
He is almost 90 yrs and loves talking crap
82fj40 bringing it back 005.JPG
82fj40 bringing it back 061.JPG
82fj40 bringing it back 131.JPG

A few more, thi is all after I did afew weeks of pulling on the frame. Got it pretty close considering it was out about an inch(diamond).
92510  motor in 82 051.JPG
92510  motor in 82 070.JPG
92510  motor in 82 078.jpg

Ok, that is looking great, I have to ask if you know what the deal with the swiss cheese on the bib? I thought and thought and just couldn't think of a reason unless it had a plow and they ran lines through the holes. am I close?

Looks like you're doing great work. Stick with 532 mustard - there aren't that many nice OEM-Mustard trucks out there!

Thanks, and Mattcamp I have no idea what the swiss cheese holes were for. I know the bib is not original for this rig it was blue under the yellow. I figured maybe winch controls or power steering lines but none of those add up to 5 holes. Been in FL to long, didnt think of the snow plow.

Looks good. I figure everytime I buy a cruiser it has been wrecked, or any 20 plus year old car. I just hope its not too bad. Mike

I will get pics of my frame fixer you will like it. The dumpster was such a big help.

I only had one bad spot. Right under the drivers door. I tried to get a couple shops to fix it for me but when it came down to actually doing the work no one would do it. When all else failed I did it myself. I am not frame guy but its pretty close.

Dont know if I took any pics with it chained to the side of the dumpster but that was something special.
9-6-10  motor teardown +some 075.JPG

A telephone pole and a come along works well too. American know how. MIke

I havent buttoned up the shackles etc yet. I wanted to make sure the body and fenders were good. Axels are actually centered pretty good now.
9-6-10  motor teardown +some 105.jpg
9-6-10  motor teardown +some 106.jpg
9-6-10  motor teardown +some 107.jpg

I needed some yanking. Found out the difference in chains steel etc.

Between the frame and getting the panels and doors etc to line up it just about made me crazy. I was determined to fix and make it work on my own. I feel alot better with all that behind me and will get back at it soon but for awhile I wasnt quite sure if it would make it like I wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom