My 82 pick up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
nomadrooftents.com
I have owned this truck the past 10 years. I am just starting to build it. I have a set of 33' swampers for it, locker in the rear, sliders, and power/crossover steering. I cannot find a thread on putting power steering in one of these trucks. I went to the junkyard and pulled the pump, box, brackets, both pulleys, lines, and resevoir out of an 88' 4runner. Any tips on mounting the steering box to the frame? I have seen a couple of mounting kits/plates but have not heard any reviews on them.
land rover bumper lexus tailgate 014.jpg

i got my frame stiffening plates from marlin, i had to drill some holes and weld it on, but i did run off the road going 45 to 50 mph and put the top of the shock on the passenger side through the inner fender and every thing on the passenger side was fine i w the passenger side spring on my 84 4runner. so i would look into marlins!

I have owned this truck the past 10 years. I am just starting to build it. I have a set of 33' swampers for it, locker in the rear, sliders, and power/crossover steering. I cannot find a thread on putting power steering in one of these trucks. I went to the junkyard and pulled the pump, box, brackets, both pulleys, lines, and resevoir out of an 88' 4runner. Any tips on mounting the steering box to the frame? I have seen a couple of mounting kits/plates but have not heard any reviews on them.

ton of info on the web concerning this mod. here's a start for ya power steering box install - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board. I'm sure you realize that the 88 box you scored was never offered on any solid axle rig requiring you to weld it to the frame. Also, you will have to lift the truck at least 3.5" in order to install the hysteer. Plenty (AND I MEAN PLENTY) of info regarding this on the big 'ole WWW.

ton of info on the web concerning this mod. here's a start for ya power steering box install - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board. I'm sure you realize that the 88 box you scored was never offered on any solid axle rig requiring you to weld it to the frame. Also, you will have to lift the truck at least 3.5" in order to install the hysteer. Plenty (AND I MEAN PLENTY) of info regarding this on the big 'ole WWW.

hold on a sec here, you do not weld the steering box to the frame!

holy crap i hope that was a typo!

buy the kit from marlin or even trail gear please do not weld the box to your frame! and look into the FAQ stick right here i am sure they will have a lot of good info for you.

oh and i used the marlin kit for my 84 and did not have to weld the steering box to my frame, the 84 had the same box as his truck.

the lift well others will chime in, but yes a lift is required!

here is a pic of my frame before welding the marlin reinforcing kit on...

toy4xfun-albums-stupidity-picture18089-mytruck-197.jpg

here is after...

toy4xfun-albums-stupidity-picture18090-mytruck-198.jpg

make sure you scrape all the grease off, then spray the area down with brake clean, then spray it again and again. and follow the directions on marlins site.

hold on a sec here, you do not weld the steering box to the frame!

holy crap i hope that was a typo!

buy the kit from marlin or even trail gear please do not weld the box to your frame! and look into the FAQ stick right here i am sure they will have a lot of good info for you.

oh and i used the marlin kit for my 84 and did not have to weld the steering box to my frame, the 84 had the same box as his truck.

the lift well others will chime in, but yes a lift is required!

I used chewing gum!! What I meant is welding is required to put the box on the frame. Thanks for pointing it out three times.

As for lifts, I'd go rears up front and 63" chevies for the rear. It will give you the amount of lift you need for the crossover steering and give you a nice ride. Also, easier on the wallet. You'll have to source out shocks, towers, front hanger, shackles, new mounts for the 63's, UBolts, brake lines, etc. etc., but still much cheaper than the vendors prices.
DO NOT WELD THE BOX TO THE FRAME!!!!!!

Weld the plate you fab or purchase to the frame and bolt the box to the plate. Sorry for the mixup!!

Last edited:
I did not realize how much lift was involved in crossover steering so I got a stock 82' power steering box. I have everything installed except for the box and resevoir. They are going in on Monday along with the 33"s. The lift will come a little later this year. I am going to order the Aussie locker and try to get it installed by the end of the month.

im thinking thats the back side of some paint pealing...

it is an optical illusion, it sure does look like a hole on that one pick, but it is a chunk of what ever the po used for undercoating peeling off. some of the s*** peels right off and some of it wont come off for nothing.

A British racing green D90 in the background and you talk about the Chebby!? :hillbilly:

I'm a little miffed too. At least the Defender's nicer to look at than a Chebby.

Nice first gen! Welcome to 'Mud, and please keep us updated, I look forward to seeing where you take this.

I got the power steering and tires installed today. I trimed the front fenders but also have a little but of rubbing on the back passenger side wheel well. Next up is a front axle rebuild.
pick up 003.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom