My 80 left me stranded today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was driving down the interstate going a smooth 60 MPH when suddenly putt putt putt so I pulled over and as I pulled to the shoulder a few feet it died and wouldn't even try to turn over.

After getting towed home I jumped it off and it ran fine, I didn't drive it but I let it idle and revved it up. After turning off the key and trying to crank it again no-go.

I just replaced the battery with a Die Hard Platinum this weekend so I am positive that isn't the problem.

I have a spare alternator I was meaning to install anyway since this is the original and it's going on 19 years old.

Anything else I could be missing here? While replacing the alternator I am going to re-wire it to the battery to make sure that is good as well.

What's the voltage gauge doing?

Turn the key to ON position and carefully note where it's at. Then jump start the vehicle, and see if it's any higher than with the vehicle off. If not, bad alt.

When I was driving I noticed it dipped really low while it was puttering to the shoulder, once I jumped it off it went back to the middle but never budged. I figured the alt was going out and possibly the new battery was the nail in the coffin for it.

X2 on the alternator. This story is like Deja Vu. About a month and half ago my truck just suddenly died and the alternator was the culprit. If your volt gauge does not move or reads less than 12 volts, look no more, is the alternator.:cheers:

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I will replace it later this week.

Sounds exactly like mine when it went. I'm betting on the alternator.

odd that this would happen right after the battery swap. Sure it's good and sure the connections to the battery were put back on correctly?

odd that this would happen right after the battery swap. Sure it's good and sure the connections to the battery were put back on correctly?

I had been having charging issues for the past couple of months where the battery wouldn't charge but after a jump it would work again for a couple of weeks. I have just written it off as the result of a 10 year old battery dying but knew the alternator would need to be replaced soon (hence the spare one laying around.)

Today more or less confirmed it to me.

Hmm, if the battery is brand new then why does a malfunctioning alternator cause an engine to die while running? The battery alone should allow the engine to run it is totally drained, no?

Just curious.

I'd have the alternator tested to see if it's the culprit before going forward with messing with it.

I'm thinking perhaps the EFI system? Maybe the EFI relay?

Hmm, if the battery is brand new then why does a malfunctioning alternator cause an engine to die while running? The battery alone should allow the engine to run it is totally drained, no?

Just curious.

I'd have the alternator tested to see if it's the culprit before going forward with messing with it.

I'm thinking perhaps the EFI system? Maybe the EFI relay?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what it sounded like. New battery ran him so far and was drained. A short jump and then dead again. Or did I mis-read that?

If the alternator is bad than the engine will run for only a brief while on the battery alone.
The alternator is need to provide constant power to certain things that are needed which the battery alone can not provide for an extended period of time, that is why it runs dead.

If the alternator is bad than the engine will run for only a brief while on the battery alone.
The alternator is need to provide constant power to certain things that are needed which the battery alone can not provide for an extended period of time, that is why it runs dead.

X2 on this. Like they mentioned earlier, have the alternator checked, don't even have to remove it but I bet you'll end up removing it to either replace the brushes, have it rebuilt or get a rebuilt one from an auto parts store; unless you want to get a new one OEM $$$.:cheers:

Correct, my battery ran till it was almost dead which was evident by the volt meter dropping out. At the time I was in the process of rolling down my window which probably sucked what life was out of the battery and it's too low to start without jumping it off.

I saw this coming so I bought a spare one from a parting out a while back so that will save me some cash for the time being but once someone works on a bracket for the Tundra alt in the other thread I will be going that route.

Correct, my battery ran till it was almost dead which was evident by the volt meter dropping out. At the time I was in the process of rolling down my window which probably sucked what life was out of the battery and it's too low to start without jumping it off.

That's exactly what I was doing when mine died! Plus having the headlights on didn't helped much...:eek:

That's exactly what I was doing when mine died! Plus having the headlights on didn't helped much...:eek:

The lesson of the day is never under any circumstances roll down your window LOL

Ironically I was in the process of bragging to someone about how I would trust my truck to get me around the world and back just moments before it died...I set myself up for a series of jokes while we waited for the tow truck.

The lesson of the day is never under any circumstances roll down your window LOL

Ironically I was in the process of bragging to someone about how I would trust my truck to get me around the world and back just moments before it died...I set myself up for a series of jokes while we waited for the tow truck.

Mine died in front of a parking lot exit; by the lift arm. That day I found how heavy and hard to push a FJ80 Land Cruiser! I pushed it out of the way and next morning I jump started, turn as much electrical stuff as possible. Made it home, had the alternator tested, they gave me the bad news. Following day I took it off, had it rebuilt; now is not a 90 AMP, it shoots almost 120 amps! Don't ask me what the Alt shop did, all I asked if there was any way to increase the amps, and they did something which I have no idea!:steer:

Nice I have an OEM 80 amp but if there is no progress made on the other thread I will go with a 90 and get a shop to "upgrade" it.

Probably not relevant since your battery seemed to die as you were going but...

Some problem that drove me nuts for a while and made me waste some money having the alarm system removed: the connexion to the battery terminal was intermittent due to dust and the battery moving in its housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom