My 80 got towed home... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've been driving my fzj80 for a few weeks now after rescuing it from a field sitting for a couple years. Has been running like a top for almost 1000 miles. Wednesday I was making the 30 mile drive to work and it felt like two different times it ran out of fuel for just a moment, like one cylinder missed. On my way home it shut off like I turned the key off. Cranks but will not fire at all. I changed the fuel pump last night, still no start. I crossed the B+ and Fp terminals and the fuel pump runs with the key on. Thats where I stopped last night. Any ideas where I should look next? Thanks in advance for any help, this forum has been a wealth of information for my project.

20200412_194818.jpg

Check your fuel filter. Located under clamshell intake. Might be clogged. Also confirm fuel is getting to filter as well. Disconnect fuel filter banjo bolt and turn key to on without starting to see if fuel flows to the filter. Might get a tad messy. Perhaps have someone check. Fuel filter is not easy to get to.

Beat me to it.

The fuel pump should NOT run with the key in the "RUN" position.

Is the CEL on with the key in the "RUN" position?

Nope, now to find out why the ecu has no power.
First place to look are the fusible links. Especially since it just "died". Also check all other fuses.

Well, the fusible links test good, but I placed an order at wits end for spares anyway.
The 15 amp underhood efi tests with 12v present.
The 15amp in dash ecu-ig shows no v present.
Is there a way to check the 50amp underhood AMI relay? I'm assuming its upstream from ecu-ig?
I hate electrical...

I've replaced the efi relay, and the 50 amp AMI, and still getting no power to the underdash ecu-ig terminal. I followed the above guide, plus tested the fusible links with a volt meter to each show current on supply side, checked all fuses multiple times, pulled the ecu, checked all connections, even opened the ecu to check for visible problems, smells, puffy resistors, and nothing. I'm down to swapping harnesses or sourcing another ecu?
Does anyone know where the ecu-ign fuse gets its power from? Thanks for any help. The above posted link was a wealth of information. Thank you.

"opened the ecu to check for visible problems, smells, puffy resistors"

Which model year is your FZJ80 and what is the part number of your ECU?

Check post #13:

Check post #13:

Thank you. This is why this sight is so awesome. So much info, if you know where to look. Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom