My ‘79 FJ40 Build—a long time coming & a long way to go.... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Once the old was cut out, the panel fit beautifully and closed the gap. I still don’t understand it, but he was right....and I’m relieved!

Also remembering to hit the laps, spare tire mount bracket, rear sill horns and any metal to be buried with weld through primer. Anything else I should be doing to these areas prior to welding?

146862EB-13BA-4AF6-840B-588FD27CF15C.jpeg

DBA85363-0AA4-4587-B46B-120576EE22E4.jpeg

6B20EDE0-97EF-487F-B107-43C322056C1A.jpeg

E6DD8728-F5E5-467A-8514-D9CE5EED6980.jpeg

Tack, tack, tack.....repeat. Had some burn throughs but was able to fill. Pretty ugly, but had some good sections. Dialing in the right gap, torch angle, distance and duration. A lot to think about for a split second weld. Takes some getting used to, I guess.

DAA00A35-DCA2-4CE6-AD6D-598F11DB7F33.jpeg

B8381F9F-7195-4DDE-9FFC-69B97DB92CF6.jpeg

E3695769-E162-4713-BB82-E239EC4D5111.jpeg

63B1A68F-5A27-4C57-A37E-743BFEC2F2E9.jpeg

43D209B1-6ADF-4F47-B7E0-53230D8E25F6.jpeg

Cleaned up.

So all the tiny little depressions between welds, is it suitable to leave as is and take care of it later will the skim of body filler? I’m assuming you don’t go back and keep tacking new welds and grinding down. I can get a closer pic if needed. The weld gaps where the spare tire carrier mounts get drilled out anyway, so I didn’t fill those.

8C61807A-0BC8-4686-B113-83A51ACE4B2E.jpeg

5C7F1792-FD4E-4122-A51B-A86C9E92D704.jpeg

Are the welds at the bottom of the rear of the quarter panel welded to the sill plate?
Yes, I plug welded the bottom of the quarter panel to the rear sill horns. I had seen this done before and it seemed like it made sense. Were these not supposed to be welded together?

I am not sure either I am currently getting ready to put in a new rear sill and was wondering if it got welded to the quarter panel.

I am not sure either I am currently getting ready to put in a new rear sill and was wondering if it got welded to the quarter panel.
It was such a good fit that if I hadn’t welded it, it would be a rub point and a place to collect dirt and moisture. I also welded it to help lock everything in place prior to wheel well supports and wheel wells. I will use seam sealer where the sill meets the quarter panel. Don’t know if that’s right, but that was my train of thought.

Working underneath that cruiser would be a lot easier if it were on a rotisserie or upside down. Will save your body and easier to do much nicer work. Looks goo so far.
I agree, that would definitely make things easier when doing the underside. I’d thought about a rotisserie or making one. This won’t be my last cruiser build, so I may think a little more about it!
I wanted to get at least most of my tub bodywork done before pulling it off the frame to ensure everything aligns correctly. I’ll flip it once it’s back together and dress up underneath.

Hey mate, any updates? I am currently busy cleaning up my tub and this here helped me alooot.
I had a freak surfing accident last summer, surgery and recovery….leg is actually still healing 6 months after surgery. So, it’s been slow lately. I’ve done a bit on the PS floorboard and inner/outer rocker. I’ll try to get that posted up soon. Good luck with your tub! Hope it isn’t as bad as mine

I had a freak surfing accident last summer, surgery and recovery….leg is actually still healing 6 months after surgery. So, it’s been slow lately. I’ve done a bit on the PS floorboard and inner/outer rocker. I’ll try to get that posted up soon. Good luck with your tub! Hope it isn’t as bad as mine
Oh man, sorry to hear that. Good that you are better now. Well My Tub is okayish but still alot of work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom