my 74 will not start...:-(

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Razor, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Razor

Razor

I know the started is on the way out, but I want to start it up to put it back in the garage this evening.....click click zzztttt, nothing...no lights or power anywhere......few minutes, the lights would come onl, try starting it and zzzzzt.....nothing no lights or power..

Sounds like a loose batt cable or something, nope...all new under there.

Any idea's...short in wirring somewhere..?

Bumming out !

Note: the started has been clicking before it kicks in and works since I have owned the cruiser.

2. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

if anyone you know has a starter for it you could try ask them. my friend's 86 merc did the same thing...starter=toasted. tap on it with a hammer too maybe. Also on all the ignition and starter wiring check for bare wires. if any are found wrap with electrical tape immediately.
    -Trash

3. HawkDriver

HawkDriver

Media:
    Albums:
    Have a meter to check batt voltage? Starter clicking is usually due to low battery voltage. If that checks out you could try jumping the starter posts with a screwdriver (have the key on and in Neutral).

Hard to diagnose by reading. Did you say it was a new battery?

4. trekker

trekker

Come on razor. Get jiggy and get out there and start the stupid thing! :bounce: :bounce2: Sounds like something let trick kal.

Check yer batt. Charge it up.
    Jumper it. Starts... battery bad or low.

Got a battery charger? Get yerself one.

5. Razor

Razor

Brand new napa batt is frickin toast....

I don't know why I dick around with napa junk....getting on optima in the morning.....hell, 2 of the bastards...winch in line.

I was out night wheeling lastnight....good thing it funked in my driveway, I have a feeling there is a short somewhere that drianed the batt.

6. GetsUThere

GetsUThere

If you've checked the terminals at the battery and for good contact between the battery ground and frame and frame/block cable, I'd guess the battery? When you say no lights you're not seeing anything lighting up on the dash?

edit: hmm too slow typing that up apparently

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.