My '71 FJ40, Cali original (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Back in February I got my hands on my first Cruiser, this 1971 FJ40, with the intention of turning it into a daily driver. I'm at least the third owner, and I was lucky that the latest PO kept meticulous records. He bought the truck in 2012 and took it up to TLC in Van Nuys for inspection and repair. Based on service records, they did major work on the steering column, front differential, and the brake system, and they overhauled the suspension with new brackets, leaf springs, and OME shocks. Then it sat, largely unused for the better part of nine years, an occasional mall crawler and beach cruiser. I just got it back from the mechanic after ten weeks of work, and I'll be damned if isn't the most fun I've ever had driving.

front.jpg
side.jpg
rear.jpg

All the mechanic had to take care of were the vacuum hoses, fluid flush, new OEM gas tank, and installing a new steering wheel (who knew those things were so hard to find for 68-71?) The matching numbers 1F got a clean bill of health and a tune-up. Cosmetically I'd say the body is fair, especially for 50 years old. No obvious cancer, but who knows what kind of bondo lurks beneath the rattle can paint job. Judging from the dash, which looks immaculate, I'd say it was once Rustic Green.

dash.jpg

Priority for the vehicle is getting it prepped to take it out to Ocotillo Wells SVRA and to join the local TLCA guys for their monthly meetups. That means tools, a fire extinguisher, and a replacement for the stolen spare. Body work and paint are sure to be pricey, so that's gonna be further down the line, if ever. If I had my 'druthers, it'd be Deep Green.

Anyway, thanks for coming to my TED Talk. I have already learned a ton from these forums, and I can tell it's a welcoming community. My most pressing question: what kind of audio system would you recommend for a soft top? It didn't even come with a radio, and I have a powerful need to blast Fortunate Son. Cheers, and I'll leave you with this picture of the California Natural Terror, fresh from the mechanic with a new SOP Bikini top installed by yours truly.

IMG_1281.JPG

Hell yeah 🤙🏼 and welcome. Sweet looking Cruiser.
I agree, DON’T PAINT IT!
BTW: I am in SD also.

There are few trucks out there as nice as yours with original paint. Clean it up, and it may grow on you. It's your truck of course, just a little advice.

Big thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! The more time I spend on the Mud forums, the more I'm considering leaving the paint as is. I've been thinking that the paint is aftermarket, either rattle can or matched and sprayed, but I'm starting to think it just spent the better part of a century baking under the hot desert sun of L.A. Maybe one of the local TLCA guys can confirm or deny for me.

Hell yeah 🤙🏼 and welcome. Sweet looking Cruiser.
I agree, DON’T PAINT IT!
BTW: I am in SD also.
I'm looking forward to meeting all the local yokels, and you have quite the collection! I'd love to see what you've done with your '70 40 some time. Was that your first cruiser?

Big thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! The more time I spend on the Mud forums, the more I'm considering leaving the paint as is. I've been thinking that the paint is aftermarket, either rattle can or matched and sprayed, but I'm starting to think it just spent the better part of a century baking under the hot desert sun of L.A. Maybe one of the local TLCA guys can confirm or deny for me.

I'm looking forward to meeting all the local yokels, and you have quite the collection! I'd love to see what you've done with your '70 40 some time. Was that your first cruiser?
Anytime!
I’m in Utah at the moment. I went to the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum today.
My ‘70 was my first Cruiser. I bought it after talking a good friend into buying a 1970 FJ40. That was our first direct experience with one. Then his brother bought a ‘70 40, and needed something bigger. That’s where I stepped in.

Where in SD? Jump over the Beach n Toys San Diego section of the forum

CA- Beach-n-Toys - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/ca-beach-n-toys.133/
I'm in mid-city. I've been terrorizing Normal Heights with this noisy ass 1F for the better part of a week. 😁

Looks like a stand-up forum you've got going over there, and as I've said previously, I'm lookin' forward to meeting all the local Cruiser heads. I'll be registering with TLCA just as soon as my next paycheck comes in. Damned mechanic has taxed my discretionary fund.

In response to your audio question... I have a nice kenwood amp under the seat with a Jl Audio MBT-RX Bluetooth adapter. No dash cutting to put in a head unit but still have bluetooth and I'm able to power some speakers loud enough to hear music with no top, v8, and big tires. I went with marine rated speakers as well since even with the top on I am not very watertight.

In response to your audio question... I have a nice kenwood amp under the seat with a Jl Audio MBT-RX Bluetooth adapter. No dash cutting to put in a head unit but still have bluetooth and I'm able to power some speakers loud enough to hear music with no top, v8, and big tires. I went with marine rated speakers as well since even with the top on I am not very watertight.
Thank you! This is exactly what I'm looking for. The only top I ever plan to get is a factory soft top, so weatherproofing is a must.

Your paint is oxidized. The beauty of the single stage paint is you can buff off the oxidation and reapply wax and it will be right back to factory! If you want the original color…. Clean it. Lol. A can of buff and wax is waaaaaay cheaper than new paint! Congrats, and Happy trails!!

Your paint is oxidized. The beauty of the single stage paint is you can buff off the oxidation and reapply wax and it will be right back to factory! If you want the original color…. Clean it. Lol. A can of buff and wax is waaaaaay cheaper than new paint! Congrats, and Happy trails!!
I just took another look, and sadly there's ample evidence that the whole vehicle has been painted over by a PO. For one, most all of the hinge hardware is painted over, even the washers. You can see in these pictures where the original Rustic Green peeks through the current paint job. It's flaking off like this all over.
peel1.JPG
peel3.JPG
peel5.JPG
peel6.JPG
peel7.JPG

In light of this revelation, I'd be interested in stripping down this top layer of paint to see how much Rustic Green is left under there. I've got no problem with preserving a nice original patina, but I don't know how to get this gunk off without hurting what's underneath.

There are a few posts about stripping the rattle can color. I used a Brillo pad and some orange based stripper.

I just got it back from the mechanic after ten weeks of work, and I'll be damned if isn't the most fun I've ever had driving.

All the mechanic had to take care of were the vacuum hoses, fluid flush, new OEM gas tank, and installing a new steering wheel (who knew those things were so hard to find for 68-71?) The matching numbers 1F got a clean bill of health and a tune-up.
Cool 40! Congrats!

But wait.. mechanic had it 10 weeks?? And did what?

You`ll enjoy owning and driving a 40 a lot more if you learn to maintain it yourself, and save a lot of time and $.

Welcome to mud:flipoff2:

Cool 40! Congrats!

But wait.. mechanic had it 10 weeks?? And did what?

You`ll enjoy owning and driving a 40 a lot more if you learn to maintain it yourself, and save a lot of time and $.

Welcome to mud:flipoff2:
Thanks Martin! I agree that it was far too long 😂. That's good advice that I plan on taking. I bought the Haynes manual, and I'm shopping around for the FSM. I spent the time without my cruiser watching Project Wrong Way, and I sure learned a lot about what not to do! Wifey's not too happy about the cost of all of the tools I'll need, but I'm selling it as cheaper in the long run.

My 72 was repainted in the 90's and flaking like yours. I was able to get 70% of that paint off with a pressure washer. Just put the nozzle right next to the flaking parts and it peels off. The rest of the paint, my wife and I used many, many, many (100?) razor blades and scraped it. The primer that was underneath came right off with some eazy-off oven cleaner. It was work, but awesome to see the transformation!

Day 1
Hades day 1.JPG

Now
Hades year 3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom