My '68 FJ40 arrived today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I posted a few months ago saying I was getting my parent's 68 FJ40 (orig. owners) and it got here today...needless to say I'm excited. It's in OK shape. It drives ok...pretty noisy...but that's how I remember it always being.

Anyway, I'd love to bring it to a meeting and get some opinions on what needs to be done mechanically to it. I'm pretty inexperienced w/auto repair, but I'm looking forward to learning...this'll be a great project.

I should be able to make the next meeting on Oct 4th, but are there any swap meets scheduled before then? Also, are there dues/fees for a membership?

Thanks for any info, I look forward to meeting some fellow FJ owners!

Cheers,

Craig
P.S. Here are a couple pix of it:

That's a good looking 40! I love the old Belleview winch. I only wish mine worked. :doh:

Are those original hub caps?

Unforunatley, there aren't any swap meets (we should probably start talking about the fall swap meet, though) or other events scheduled before the next meeting, but I look forward to seeing it then.

For membership in the CLCC, you need to already be a member of the TLCA and pay our $25 dues. But you don't have to do that just to come to a meeting.

Felix

Lucky bastard!!! ;)

At least you know the history! Do what I did this weekend. Drive it down to Fredericksburg to Iron Pig Offroad. Lance specializes in Land Cruisers and will give you an honest evaluation of what needs to be done (if anything). He said mine was in great shape and didn't need a lot work. However, I had a laundry list of things I wanted done and he's working on them. He gave me and my wife a tour of the shop and he's doing some amazing things. He's very talented and very nice.

After you get the big things taken care of, you can start practicing your own maintenance.

EDIT: BTW, he has some beautiful 40s in mid restore. I was ready to give him my credit card and say "work your magic"!

Last edited:
Felix said:
Are those original hub caps?

For membership in the CLCC, you need to already be a member of the TLCA and pay our $25 dues. But you don't have to do that just to come to a meeting.

Felix

Yeah, the hub caps are origs. Dented a bit, but in ok shape.

Looking forward to the meeting. See you then!

Craig

Looks to be in better than ok shape to me.
Very nice.

greytandy said:
Lucky bastard!!! ;)

At least you know the history! Do what I did this weekend. Drive it down to Fredericksburg to Iron Pig Offroad. Lance specializes in Land Cruisers and will give you an honest evaluation of what needs to be done (if anything). He said mine was in great shape and didn't need a lot work. However, I had a laundry list of things I wanted done and he's working on them. He gave me and my wife a tour of the shop and he's doing some amazing things. He's very talented and very nice.

After you get the big things taken care of, you can start practicing your own maintenance.

EDIT: BTW, he has some beautiful 40s in mid restore. I was ready to give him my credit card and say "work your magic"!

I remember someone referring me ot Iron Pig earlier, so I'll definately check them out. Someone also mention Vienna Mobile and Sam (I think) who works there.
I don't know that my FJ needs a ton of work. I think the carb needs to be adjusted for altitude since it came from Colorado. I'm sure I can do that myself by adjusting a screw or something, but I need to find a manual for it. It's a two-barrel carb but I'm not sure of the manufacturer. The gasket between that and the airfilter is also cracked and basically useless...which I guess sends a lot of extra air (and dust) in that I don't need/want. The part looks cheap but I'm not sure where to pick it up.
Beyond that, the clutch is on its last legs.

I have been driving it around the past few days, tho, and it's been fun. I had forgotten how loud it is. I'm looking forward to hearing other's FJ40s to see how they sound for comparison.

Anyway, thanks again for the Iron Pig ref!

Craig

breckbone said:
I remember someone referring me ot Iron Pig earlier, so I'll definately check them out. Someone also mention Vienna Mobile and Sam (I think) who works there.
I don't know that my FJ needs a ton of work. I think the carb needs to be adjusted for altitude since it came from Colorado. I'm sure I can do that myself by adjusting a screw or something, but I need to find a manual for it. It's a two-barrel carb but I'm not sure of the manufacturer. The gasket between that and the airfilter is also cracked and basically useless...which I guess sends a lot of extra air (and dust) in that I don't need/want. The part looks cheap but I'm not sure where to pick it up.
Beyond that, the clutch is on its last legs.

I have been driving it around the past few days, tho, and it's been fun. I had forgotten how loud it is. I'm looking forward to hearing other's FJ40s to see how they sound for comparison.

Anyway, thanks again for the Iron Pig ref!

Craig

I didn't need a lot of work either, but I wanted an experienced Land Cruiser shop to see if there was something that I was missing. More peace of mind than anything else. I can drive around knowing that there's a less likelihood of something catastrophic failing. ;) It is 36 years old after all.

RE: Sound. I drove mine to Fredericksburg from Olney (MD) on Sunday, about 80 miles. There's no doubt, these things are LOUD. It's something you live with. Somebody suggested earplugs, which really is a good idea for longer distances. The sound and heat can be fatiguing. Consider it part of the charm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom