My 66' FJ40 rebuild/ Tcase help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My journey began last year, bout May,when I purchased my very first 1966 FJ40 Toyota Land cruiser. I was going to do my very first rebuild, let alone my very first frame off build. It'll all started from my love of taking things apart and fixing them. Now I am year and several months into my build. So far I have powder coated the whole frame with the differentials, rebuilt the engine(3F block with a F head/ carbed), rebuilt my transmission and countless other things. After my engine and tranny rebuilds, the transfer case came next. It had all gone well until I started working on my transfer case. bummer I had a sizeable crack near the transfer case cover. Then to add on top on top of that, I found a bearing had been incorrectly installed into the low speed gear whereas the oil hole in the bearing and gear didn't line up. Obviously it caused the bearing to burn up. Now i am not sure, but the last owner wasn't capable of working on the car so he didn't and I think the owner before him didn't work on the car. Is this a rare problem from the factory??Now my questions are: Has anyone had this bearing problem happen to them? Would it be worth it to buy a new case or have it repaired?
Here are some pictures of the crack, it seems to me that it hasn't cracked fully into the case on the inside. Still want it fixed or replaced regardless because it will vibrate itself into an even bigger wound.
**FYI the bearing has been cleaned of the burnt oil and excess muck already to see the extent of the damage.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It sounds like your not all that concerned about it being an original. I would probably replace it with another case at the stage you are. If it was just being used for light duty a good welder can put a band aide on the crack and it may last for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom