My 55 doing 45 and I'm 68 and it's 85 out...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mtpickettwoodworking.com
Every day we get more confident and take the old family 55 on longer trips. Well, the fuel tank is still a beat up 5 gallon galvanized gas can with pickup and return lines soldered into the pour spout. We did ok for a while but not enough capacity. We ran out just before the gas station. Fortunately my wife's son was on his way home from a logging operation and he had a couple gallons of chainsaw mix in his truck. After that we stopped at the old resort for a drink and had a balmy drive home. No, we don't do rack crawling, but in 1967 I rode in Cliuff Dickson's new fj 45 and I was hooked. This $#!+ gets deep into a man's brain. No practical explanation I ever found....

Ros 1.jpg

ros 2.jpg

ros 3.jpg

Ros 4.jpg

Ros 6.jpg

Every day we get more confident and take the old family 55 on longer trips. Well, the fuel tank is still a beat up 5 gallon galvanized gas can with pickup and return lines soldered into the pour spout. We did ok for a while but not enough capacity. We ran out just before the gas station. Fortunately my wife's son was on his way home from a logging operation and he had a couple gallons of chainsaw mix in his truck. After that we stopped at the old resort for a drink and had a balmy drive home. No, we don't do rack crawling, but in 1967 I rode in Cliuff Dickson's new fj 45 and I was hooked. This $#!+ gets deep into a man's brain. No practical explanation I ever found....

View attachment 2710642

View attachment 2710643

View attachment 2710644

View attachment 2710645

View attachment 2710646
Love it!!!

Is that what was squealing? I knew I shoulda bought the Japenese bearings. I read somewhere that the muffler spins at 1/2 the speed of the crankshaft, so I thought the Chinese bearings at 3.25 apiece would hold up, but????

Might not see us in S. Dakota, but I have a 17 gal tank ready to install. Here is why we run out on the longer runs.....,

5 gal gas tank.jpg

I have total confidence in this '79 fj 55 platform right now. It pulls the hills like a goat, it idles as smooth as silk. I rarely ever hear the starter as it starts at the push of my start button. Hot or cold. I de-smogged it in the mid 90's with Specter non usa carb and dizzy. Still running that dizzy but the carb went away with a 60 that I later sold :(.... I am now running a 67.00 (with free shipping) Chinacarb. That isn't what this post is about. It's the 195,000 mile never touched 2f that runs down the road at 70-75 lbs oil pressure, has never exceeded 180 degree temp every cyl between 155 and 144 psi compression, 20 inches vacuum at idle. About 25 years ago I had a flathead V8 ford that ran this well. Right after a 5000 .00 rebuild, balanced etc. It ran this good (but with a fresh rebuild). My 2f exceedes my wildest expectatioins, as only a toyota can. For 20 years in it's 'retirement' I ran it just a few days each winter with chains on all four wheels, so we could get groceries up our mountain road when it snowed. Back then it usually ran on 5 cylinders or less, which was plenty good enough for a rusted out,beat up 4wd just an arm's length away from the scrappers, but when I built it into a driver again I needed all 6. I think a valve was hung up on #5 or a bad plug wire there. Anyhow #5 rarely fired. Electrical tune up including wires and cap, bosch blue super coil, Oil/filter change, seafoam, marvel mystery oil etc and driving hard brought #5 to full power. It is a PLEASURE to drive and it runs/idles like the proverbial Swiss watch. I could never expect more from an inline six. The finest internal combustion engine I have ever owned Bar none.

And here it is yesterday along with my seven year old grandaughter returning from dropping off the crab pots.

Pops and KK in blue truck.jpg

Been really cold driving this thing now that fall is here. And if it had a windshield I'd need to get some wipers. Always something......

Did a wood mockup of a roadster type windshield. Thinking inner and outer frame halves bolted together with 1/4" carraige bolts, looking like something on a B-17.

Plywood windshield mockup.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom