My $500 1974 FJ40- Campbell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another 12/73 find, mine rolled off the assembly line earlier that month. Decisions, decisions....how do you want to spend your money. If time is not a factor you can do a lot of things, if money isn't a factor either then there is even more you can do. My recommendation, define what you want to do with it and then plan a budget. If either doesn't match then modify what you want to do with it. Many start these projects and a percentage don't make it to the finish line. I knew mine would not be show room quality (too much cancer), but there was enough good parts to make a rig that can go down a hunting trail and survive teaching my daughters how to drive in a few years. I've seen some awesome builds down to each bolt and would be afraid to drive them. I also like the freshen up builds like wnrog's a lot more where they are updated, stopped the rust, and ready to be used. Scratches and dents are a part of busting down a trail and there is always a story behind them. I personally went a little overboard with mine as i changed my mind several times. The forum is a great tool to learn your rig and to see what others have done as well.
Good luck mapping out the path forward.
Thanks for the advice. I went down this road when restoring my 62. It was a steal as well but in much better condition. I quickly realized what I had in the 62, 100% rust free, strong engine, and 99% complete. I also had a 2" binder full of maintenance records from the past 30 years. Knowing me I will want to make it pretty clean which means a replacement tub. I realized I like working on them more than just maintaining them. I want a project, I'm just trying to determine if this is the palette I want to start a project on. My 62 , Judy.
A9D7F60C-FF89-45DB-B5E6-3052AE5631FC.jpeg

Curious does it have a three speed and single light on the license plate bracket? Sadly the four speed didn't start 9/72 like it did in Australia. That may have been a H42 starting later than H41.

To really find out what you have don't start at the front, start at the rear sill and work forward. Cowl forward is generally in much better condition. Not sure I've seen an FJ40 with rust that the rear sill wasn't rusted.

Curious does it have a three speed and single light on the license plate bracket? Sadly the four speed didn't start 9/72 like it did in Australia. That may have been a H42 starting later than H41.

To really find out what you have don't start at the front, start at the rear sill and work forward. Cowl forward is generally in much better condition. Not sure I've seen an FJ40 with rust that the rear sill wasn't rusted.
It does have the three speed on the floor with a single license plate bracket. A four speed would be nice. Navigating around Houston requires some freeway driving.

The 4 speed is much more refined and easier shifting but the 4th gear ratio(1:1)is the same as 3rd in a 3 speed. Fyi

Yep, this is a block purchased through Mr T back when they would stock replacements, warrantied or otherwise.
I would assume then that it was a dealership swap. Could a random shop get a factory swap motor when they were available? Or would a random shop put a F back in and not just drop a 350 in it. A much more easily attainable motor to get.

I would assume then that it was a dealership swap. Could a random shop get a factory swap motor when they were available? Or would a random shop put a F back in and not just drop a 350 in it. A much more easily attainable motor to get.

Any random bloke could roll in and purchase one. I've done it a many times, though mostly from CAT and Peterbilt and not Mr T. It would have been sold from Mr T though.

You do have a point, why wouldn't the PO just drop in another F or a cheap V8? Just speculating, but it was likely some sort of warranty repair at a dealership early in it's life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom