Trade My 40 for your pig? (SC) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Family is growing and considering moving into something bigger. I've always like the 55's so I'm starting here.

Mine:

- 1973 FJ40, 1F 3 sp (original) in good running order; fires right up, goes, and stops like it should. 4wd/TC work as they should
- Lights and gauges work except backup lights and brake warning indicator.
- Solid body (no rust and pretty straight with the exception of a few dings here and there), decent farm implement gray enamel paint (I just had the doors repainted to match); interior with what looks like a DIY bedliner coating; dash is still the factory white color but looks OK with the grey exterior and black bedliner interior.
- 31x10.50 AT's in good condition on 15x10 wagon wheels (painted and could stand to be repainted)
- From what I can tell, it's sitting on the original springs with lift shackles; rear wheel wells cut (whoever did it did a pretty good job.. planning to add fender flares if I keep it).
- I've had it for about a year or so (traded a buddy who had it for a year or so) and have put some money into it... some cosmetic, some mechanical: New clutch master/slave; brakes redone all around (4 wheel drum but I'm very happy with how I have it stopping now); some ignition upgrades; other repairs/upgrades under the hood; new front winch bumper; a few new parts on the winch for aesthetics; doors repainted; new style mirrors just purchase to be installed; new seals here and there; I put a factory roll bar in as I thought I was going topless but now prefer top on; purchased rear jump seats but haven't installed (they're 'ok' but need to be recovered and frames painted). I'm sure there's other things that I've done or parts that I have to install that I'm forgetting...

Still plenty that can be done to it (and I'll probably keep going with it if I keep it) but it's a pretty decent example of a weekend cruiser, for what I see being offered in the southeast.

So what do you have? Open to trading up (with add'l cash to "seller") but not looking for a project. Happy to provide more pics and details on the history/condition of my 40 for serious traders.

Thanks for looking and my apologies if posted incorrectly or in the wrong forum!

IMG_8837.JPG

IMG_8842.JPG

IMG_8843.JPG

Keep the FJ40. Check out Salvageautosauction.com. Today I saw what appeared to be a clean 1976 FJ55 with a bid of only $1,500, probably will increase. It is in New Mexico, but even the cost of the flight added in and you still have a deal.

I do not know anything about this website so I am not backing or promoting it.

I'd like to keep the 40 but if I can't cruise with my kids then it sort of takes away some of the fun. Just checked out that site... wish I knew this was legit because that's a screamin deal even just based on what you can see in the pics. I might look into it. Thanks for the heads up!

Do you have any pics of the interior, the frame, and engine compartment?

I had this pic on my phone. I replaced the 1F stamped valve cover (which are notorious for warping and leaking like crazy) with a 2F aluminum valve cover and rubber gasket. Not sure if I mentioned it in the original post but the original exhaust manifold was replaced with headers. There was an exhaust leak when I got it but I replaced the exhaust manifold gasket and that took care of it. I also have a new fuel pump (I'd have to look but I think it's OEM) that can go with it but it doesn't need it (the one on there actually looks pretty new). Also has new ignition, dist cap, wires and plugs. I've probably done a few other things under the hood too... can't recall off the top of my head.

IMG_6905.JPG

Well I'm trying to decide if I want to keep my FJ55 or not. I like the space in it but I really like the looks of the FJ40 better. I've had my FJ55 for not quite a year. You can see details here: 1970 FJ55 new owner I'm entertaining the thought of selling it, but I'm on the fence as I really do like it and it's in decent condition and reliable mechanically. I already have an FJ40 as well so I really don't need another one, but your post popped up and I liked what I saw and you're about 6 hours South of me.

@White wings - In the scenario I presented, if I'm trading on a vehicle of greater value with cash making up the balance then it's no longer a straight trade but rather a purchase with partial trade. I'm the buyer... other guy is the seller. Do you have a 55 that you are considering selling or trading?

@fflood - Nice looking pig. Is it still in the condition as shown in the thread or have you done anything else to it? I'm really hoping to find a later model with the 2F/4-speed but will consider any year provided it's complete and in good condition. The way it sits in the thread, there might be more work left to do than I'm willing to take on right now. Spare time is non existent with 2 kids under the age of 3.

@awendawcruiser I just put in a new headliner, and adjusted the brakes, but that's it for now. Everything else is pretty much the same. I totally understand where you coming from about time, so I'll just hang on to my pig and make improvements as needed. It's just slow going for me as well with my family. Thanks for the reply.

I sent you a message. I have a PIG and am in Charleston.

Well, sometimes things just line up... proud new owner of a 1977 FJ55 that was living just on the other side of town from me! Thanks to @BBQ BOY for a very smooth transaction. I'll take care of her for you!

View attachment 1495967

You got a good one! I've seen it at Trollhole's and if I didn't have so many in the herd right now and a daughter heading to Clemson in a few weeks, I would have been actively pursuing @BBQ BOY for it! Please contact me if and when you find yourself wanting to sell it as maybe the time will be right!

Sweet. Awenda this is my 77. If I can help with anything let me know. Maybe we can bounce some ideas off each other.

pig.jpg

Swampfox, that's a good looking pig... love the color too!! Jtoobe, I'll keep it in mind but already told BBQ it's his if I ever have to part with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom