My 350 is angry at me/why wont it stay running? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just replaced the heads and added a edelbrock performer intake on the ol 40 and it starts but wont idle at all. I have to keep it in high rpms to keep her running. HELP!!!

rockers to tight?
vaccum leak?
gasket leak?

WAT IS WRONG WITH MY BABY!!!!!!!?????????:mad:

Did you put the distributor back in.....backwards?

Guess I shouldn't say backwards, but at 180 degrees

fuel filter or pump? could be a number of things. Id start with the pump tho...

Howdy! What carb are you running? Is it the one you had on it before the manifold swap? Check your timing, as you must of had the dizzy out to pull the intake. Vaacum leak is a good bet, or you whacked the throttle linkage/idle mix screws. John

first of all, would it even run at 180 degrees?

2nd, new fuel filter, no issues with pump before tear down

3rd, Howdy back at cha, running a 4bbl quadrajet, same ol carb from before, only moved the idle screw to get the thing to idle. (note: that still didn't work)

how would you fix a vaccum leak? and where is the most likely spot to have one

how would you fix a vaccum leak? and where is the most likely spot to have one

Perhaps between your new manifold and the head or heads?? ie gasket or not installed right:doh:.After that i would probably blame the carb - time for FI!!;)

Spray your vacuum lines and base of the carb and the intake. Also did you use a GM seal with the intake. If you did you should have used a good bead of silicone as the GM seals don't work with intake, with carb and choke cleaner while it is running. You in your case will need 2 people to do it since it won't idle. When you spray the cleaner and the engine smooths out that's the leak. Also on some of the edelbrock manifolds you would require an adapter plate to run the Q-jet.

would wd-40 work if i dont have any cleaner? my carb hookup fine so i dont think it needs an adapter.

for gaskets i bought a fel-pro kit off of jegs and did put silicone on both sides

I did something stupid.... The Holley carb coverd the vacuume
port - hole on the back of the manafold after a hour of trouble shooting and a 18 pack found it... Da.....

Do you have an HEI distributor? Throw away that quadrajet and get an edelbrock or holley carb. If you do any offroading buy the offroad kit for the floats. Start with checking for vacum leak (shoud be about 35psi at intake), then make sure that you have enough fuel pressure (4.5-6psi), then check your timing and advance curve(if using a vacume advance). Still no luck...curse at it for about ten minutes very loudly (trust me it makes you feel better)...then push it off a cliff.

I would guess the timing was off about 30 degrees as the first issue, second would be rocker arms were too tight...

What is the vacuum when it is running at the lowest speed you can get it to stay running?

Also, check and make sure the new intake manifold is compatible with the q-jet and q-jet thick base gasket.

Q-jets are great carbs, when tuned correctly.

I posted this on multiple forums today and was told by many different sources that the rocker arms were to tight. I backed them off to a quarter turn after the push rod stops spinning between my fingers. This worked!!! Well almost, it is not as rough as it was before and i'm almost able to idle it.

Do you think that tightening them just an 1/8th of a turn or so will do the trick?

Do you have an HEI distributor? Throw away that quadrajet and get an edelbrock or holley carb. If you do any offroading buy the offroad kit for the floats. Start with checking for vacum leak (shoud be about 35psi at intake), then make sure that you have enough fuel pressure (4.5-6psi), then check your timing and advance curve(if using a vacume advance). Still no luck...curse at it for about ten minutes very loudly (trust me it makes you feel better)...then push it off a cliff.

Whoa there, pardner. Many of us running 350's have done just the opposite. Taken off our gas guzzling Holleys and Edelbrocks and put on a Quadrajet.

My Holley Truck Avenger gave me a lot more raw power. But it really burned the fuel to do it. And it would not lug down. Constantly had to put it into lower gears or it bucked and stumbled.

With a Quadrajet my 350 lugs down like a six banger. Yeah, it loses the acceleration contest with the Holley. But that's not worth the difference of 2 to 4 mpg.

As far as offroading, the Holley Truck Avenger performed on angles as advertised. But the stock Quadrajet already does that. And, I seldom cracked the secondaries on the Holley on the trail. When I did, I often got a big bog, because the gas boiled away in the secondary bowl and stuck the needle shut. That doesn't happen with the Quadrajet (or the Edelbrock either, for that matter).

For a hot rod or race car, I'll run a Holley. For all around use, especially for an off road vehicle that's street and highway driven, I'll run a Quadrajet.

I have no plans on chnaging the carb so all i want to here is if tightening the rockers another 1/8th of an inch will get her to idle. Sorry to sound like an arse but I want my truck back

What does it do at low RPMs? Does it sputter, does it backfire thru the carb, do you get a fuel vapor misting around the carb inlet? Does it run well with the choke on?

Sounds like timing, or it's your cruiser trying to reject the 350 like a body trying to reject a donor organ:flipoff2:

If the dizzy was off 180, it would not run. Check the timing. WD40 is NOT a good idea for finding vac leaks. Use carb cleaner or starting fluid. Make sure you have the proper carb base gasket. Some carb / intakes combos require an open gasket, others need one with 4 holes, 1 for each port. The instructions with the intake will tell you what you need.

Do not tighten the rockers, you may have them too tight now. Spin the pushrod between your fingers, and tighten the rocker until you can not spin the push rod, that's it, no more. You do this when both the intake and exhaust valves are closed. You will need to rotate the engine for each cylinder. I assume you have hyd lifters, and not solid.

Shawn

I bought the intake used therefore it came with no directions.

On another forum a guy said to spin the push rods and once they don't spin tighten them another 1/4 turn.

WHO DO I LISTEN TO?

If I get multiple people telling me to just stop once they stop spinning then thats what i'll do. but until i hear from people one way or the other i might not do it. Not trying to be disrespectful.

You broke it so give it to me. Adjust them using a feeler gauge. It's pretty simple. get your Factory specs and it should have an order in which you adjust each rocker arm. FSM's are nice to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom