My 200 won't start ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello ... I am new here ... I have both a 100 series and a 200 ... My 20o won't start ... the key does open the doors but when inside , the dashboard will not read the key ..and will not light up... the tester can't work because the dashboard is not on ... I would like not to go to the dealer ... I am afraid the would change too many parts .. nAny one can help here ? thank You !!

Can you try jump starting the 200 with the 100? Is this a gas or diesel 200? Any recent rodent damage to wiring? Have you replaced the battery in the key fob or tried the other key fob?

Reactions: HGB
Can you try jump starting the 200 with the 100? Is this a gas or diesel 200? Any recent rodent damage to wiring? Have you replaced the battery in the key fob or tried the other key fob?
They are both gas versions ..the 100 is 4.7 V8 ...the 200 V6 4.0 ... No way to jump start ... I have a booster ... yes i changed the battery in the key as well ... but no good ... we checked the wiring but we don't see any damage.. I am quite desperate ...

If all the batteries are good and the fuses are good and there is still no power inside, then check the ground cable all the way from the battery terminal to the chassis and check for damage, corrosion, etc.

Just to be clear, you have no power anywhere? Even for things that don't rely on key proximity, such as no brake lights?

Just to be clear, you have no power anywhere? Even for things that don't rely on key proximity, such as no brake lights?
good question.......or Emergency flashers?

Ok ... I will ... thank You !

Are you running a standard battery setup? Just in case you are using a terminal extender such Slee as I do...loosen and clean bolts and extension surfaces...retighten.

Does this have keyless entry or is it a traditional key that you insert into the lock and turn?

no electricity at all !!

To me that implies the problem is at or very close to the battery.

Hopefully you own, and know how to use, a Volt-Ohm Meter (VOM).

First step is to compare voltage across the battery terminal posts with the voltage across the battery cables at the battery. They should be the same value. You are trying to make sure the batteries cables are properly coupled to the battery posts. Many times the problem turns out to be bad connectors.

Once that first step is done troubleshooting will have to be somewhat methodical. Start at a good known end, then a bad known end. Find someplace in between and if still no good, move closer to the good end until you find the break.

I don't have a wiring diagram to match your truck, so my help can only be somewhat generic.

Switch to the Ohm scale and check between negative post on battery to some other metal (unpainted) surface such as the engine block and/or a bolt coming through the firewall. If you can, check where the cable attaches to the body. That will verify if the ground side is working. If not you will have to check ground cable continuity along it's length.

If ground is OK, then you have to move to the positive side. I would suggest looking in the under-hood junction block of fuses and relays. You want to use one that is not triggered by the ignition switch being active (brakes, emergency flasher, etcetera). Remove the fuse and test to see if there is continuity between the positive battery terminal and the hot side of the fuse block.

Not being there and not having a wiring diagram limits my thoughts on this. You will have to find where the wiring has a discontinuity and fix that. Go back to what I said about a methodical approach.

i agree with @LBridges, battery or connections or grounds are the likely problem. If you don’t having the meter, just clean and tighten all big wires even if they look good. While doing that, disconnect the negative wire from the battery. Then make sure the battery is charged and I’m hoping the truck will start right up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom