My 1996 was in an accident and doing repair myself...where should I go from here? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was recently involved in an accident in my 96. I’ve taken apart a good chunk of the vehicle and I’m not really sure what area to tackle next. o_O

BB06991F-AB52-4D2C-8663-8CC0E3F1F883.jpeg

DC164F2C-15D7-43A8-A88B-985425C62461.jpeg

Asking for “while you’re in there” recommendations?

having just done alot of engine bay work on my 80, I will say having the fenders and more of the front end apart doesn’t make things much easier, but having the hood off can help with things towards the rear of engine bay.

Asking for “while you’re in there” recommendations?

having just done alot of engine bay work on my 80, I will say having the fenders and more of the front end apart doesn’t make things much easier, but having the hood off can help with things towards the rear of engine bay.
I needed to take the fender off to replace it due to front end damage. I’ll attach an image before I started.

42055E9D-72AC-4703-B40A-BE9977891E93.jpeg

You probably should have the frame checked for straightness. Those front horns tend to bend very easily.

These areas I think would need to addressed. I think you can stitch in a section for the circle. At least with my untrained eye that is what I would be looking at.

1594754620898.png

I'd pull the rest of the front sheet metal and replace. No point dealing with bent steel when used parts are plentiful and inexpensive. The frame horn looks tweaked, so I would get that taken care of first. The rest is just bolting in new parts.

Definitely need a new core support I bought a 91 wrecked and fixed it. I had a friend straighten the frame horn and bought a used core support and went aftermarket bumper. Really it was pretty easy you’ll have to evacuate the ac and drain the radiator and when you pull the Tranny cooler I used some bolts and zip ties to plug up the lines. Good luck

I think it depends on what you want to do with it and what was wrong with it before. With all the panels off and halfway+ to removing the radiator, it's a good time to do all the things. Blue fan clutch, Power Steering lines, yeah...the list gets long. Where does it leak, when was the last time you replaced all/any of the rubber in the engine bay? Be careful what you ask, some guys are going to say it's a perfect time to start that frame off restoration! What does it need and where are you going with it are the first questions to ask.

i am picking up a white one tomorrow for parts but shipping might be hell from GA to OR lol.

Drill out the welds and replace with one of these. Had a problem just like yours except a little worse. It will have to be welded back in place. Shop around. Should be under $100.00 for a new one.

53203-60022 Left side panel​
1595067017069.png

X2 after getting the frame checked. For 100$ it’s makes more sense to replace than then repair.
Drill out the welds and replace with one of these. Had a problem just like yours except a little worse. It will have to be welded back in place. Shop around. Should be under $100.00 for a new one.

53203-60022 Left side panel​
View attachment 2375430

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom