craigslist My 1985 BJ60 is for sale in LA, now (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
So it turns out that the buyer of my stealth-rustbucket BJ60 has listed it in LA, now. And I think they want $11k for it? It's a little hard to tell, what with all the "sub compact" and "like new" razzle dazzle.

Caveat emptor. This is what the inner frame rails look like:

Inner Right Frame.jpg

Trying to do a flip?....looks like maybe to much for him to handle so ran for the bushes or perhaps he’s just one of those guys that’s all about the dollar bill?

I asked him, and he said it was too slow when driving uphill. He showed me a pic of a tan FJ60 he said he'd bought instead.

Neither he nor his dad seemed to recognize how far the rust had progressed... I DID say it was for a trail rig, donor, or parts truck though...:rolleyes:

I asked him, and he said it was too slow when driving uphill. He showed me a pic of a tan FJ60 he said he'd bought instead.

Neither he nor his dad seemed to recognize how far the rust had progressed... I DID say it was for a trail rig, donor, or parts truck though...:rolleyes:

Yeah I kinda smell BS? But hey maybe he’s telling the truth,let’s give him the benefit? Do I personally believe that?....NO....I think he knew what he was getting into and I think he’s just trying to do a flip?..sounds like he bit off more than he could chew and bought the other one which I’m assuming is probably way cleaner with RUST and I think he’s trying to make his money back with a little extra? True land cruiser guys like myself (lol) always think rust 1st,at least I do then followed by mechanics etc...we all know these could be known to be rust turds if not taking properly cared for. How can you NOT look underneath and see the rust especially if you had mentioned to him prior? You did your part as the seller which was to be honest to the buyer which is very awesome to do in my book so for that you got my upmost respect I’ve dealt with a lot of guys who would say very little rust and then you go see it and it’s rust bucket so kudos to you for being honest bud👍.

So now back to the matter at hand lol...he said to slow for up hill huh?🤔...soooo what’s he plan on doing,up hill races? Lol. I’m sure the torque is there,think they’re know for their torquiness( if that’s even a word🤔lol) either way man I’m going to throw this out there and say he realized it’s probably too much for him to take on work wise with the welding the rust repair etc. and he’s just trying to flip it and get his money back? The next question is kind of personal and if you don’t mind me asking but what did you end up selling it for that’s also a big part of it too because if he got it for really cheap then he’s really trying to flip it which I think that’s kind of wrong with people sometimes you know? I mean everyone’s entitled to do what they want but to buy a vehicle right away turn around and sell it a few days or a week later for a lot more is kind of wrong in my book but hey to each their own right?

At the end of the day, it's your own self you gotta live with, and I like to feel like I try to do the right thing. I appreciate the attaboy though.

It might be a flip. It was hard for me to price the vehicle, I could maybe have gotten more than my asking price for it. The first impression on that truck is very good, and the OUTER frame rails are immaculate.

I agree that it's not likely that a mud member would get the wool pulled over their eyes. A civilian though... well again, caveat emptor.

Fun story about this van: I originally bought that exact camper--I mean that one, same vehicle, not same model--in 1998 in Florida. My wife and I drove it around the country for a few months, exploring and also deciding where to move to. We ended up in Oregon where it took me on trips for the next eight years. Then I ended up selling it relatively cheap to a friend with very deep pockets, when it needed both a new head and a transaxle rebuild. He was the guy who put the Subie... and the OME suspension/lift... and the wheels/tires... and the propane heater... and the rooftop solar... and the burly bumpers with front and rear receivers and tire and platform mounts... and the center diff lock... and the new roof canvas... and IDK what I'm forgetting... in. Then last month he sold it back to me for a great price.

It turns out insuring syncro Westies is a little tricky because of the discrepancy between KBB or NADA and actual demand. After a fair bit of research and a lot of phone calls, I found out that Safeco will insure vehicles for "agreed value" with some documentation (and fewer restrictions than Hagerty). I suppose this insurance information might actually be relevant for tricked-out cruiser owners, too. (PS: you do NOT want " stated value" policy, you want "agreed value," if you pursue this option).

Now that we have insurance sorted it's going out for a family trip tomorrow and another with my sister a few days after that. This isn't really the forum for it, and I don't want to use up too much of mud's bandwidth, but I'll post a link to an album when I have some action shots in a week or so. Stay tuned.

thesamba.com is a pretty strong community, but mud was an absolute encyclopdedia of helpful knowledge for me when I was wrenching on the 60 a little. What I know about vehicles, I know because of the folks here. I don't imagine I'll be posting here too often in the future after the coming pic dump... I'll miss y'all. Maybe I'll buy a star on my way out, lord knows this site has earned a little of my hard-earned.

Fun story about this van: I originally bought that exact camper--I mean that one, same vehicle, not same model--in 1998 in Florida. My wife and I drove it around the country for a few months, exploring and also deciding where to move to. We ended up in Oregon where it took me on trips for the next eight years. Then I ended up selling it relatively cheap to a friend with very deep pockets, when it needed both a new head and a transaxle rebuild. He was the guy who put the Subie... and the OME suspension/lift... and the wheels/tires... and the propane heater... and the rooftop solar... and the burly bumpers with front and rear receivers and tire and platform mounts... and the center diff lock... and the new roof canvas... and IDK what I'm forgetting... in. Then last month he sold it back to me for a great price.

It turns out insuring syncro Westies is a little tricky because of the discrepancy between KBB or NADA and actual demand. After a fair bit of research and a lot of phone calls, I found out that Safeco will insure vehicles for "agreed value" with some documentation (and fewer restrictions than Hagerty). I suppose this insurance information might actually be relevant for tricked-out cruiser owners, too. (PS: you do NOT want " stated value" policy, you want "agreed value," if you pursue this option).

Now that we have insurance sorted it's going out for a family trip tomorrow and another with my sister a few days after that. This isn't really the forum for it, and I don't want to use up too much of mud's bandwidth, but I'll post a link to an album when I have some action shots in a week or so. Stay tuned.

thesamba.com is a pretty strong community, but mud was an absolute encyclopdedia of helpful knowledge for me when I was wrenching on the 60 a little. What I know about vehicles, I know because of the folks here. I don't imagine I'll be posting here too often in the future after the coming pic dump... I'll miss y'all. Maybe I'll buy a star on my way out, lord knows this site has earned a little of my hard-earned.

so I reached out to the guy through Craigslist and asked him how bad was the rust and where because I won’t be able to see it,I’d have to get it shipped to me,he emails me back and says there’s rust on the bottom door but that’s about it lol....I so much wanna pull his cards but I might just let it go!
People can be something else sometimes! He’s just trying to make a quick flip!

BTW this is the vehicle I replaced with, I have sadly left the cruiser community. It's a '91 syncro with a 2.5L Subaru conversion.

View attachment 2366445

here were two vehicles I was looking for when I got my cruiser and a Westy camper was the other one. I just missed out on a stock mid 80’s onein the town I worked in. It got listed and I sent a message and was already second in line. So I got the cruiser. I think there is a very really chance I’ll be selling the cruiser in the future to get the VW though. I have a feeling it will better mesh with future family trips.

I don't wheel a lot so decent clearance and good traction is what I really want, and the syncro (with locking center and rear diffs and a decent lift) has that. It's also exceedingly easy to live out of in a wide variety of situations.

Thanks to all on the site, what a fantastic community y'all have established here.

Here's a little bit of the terrain around Hart Mountain in SE Oregon.

Syncro Mudflats.jpg

Syncro 2track.jpg

How is the mpg with the subie engine? I know the synchros with the stock engine are in the ball park of an FJ60 when it comes to gas useage.

How is the mpg with the subie engine? I know the synchros with the stock engine are in the ball park of an FJ60 when it comes to gas useage.
It's better, but IDK how much. PO says 18-20.

I had three different clerks fill the tank less than full. Then when I started telling them to top it off (here in OR we aren't allowed to pump our own gas :rolleyes:) my G-D odometer broke. I just fixed it and am filling up today, so next fill I'll finally have a read on the mileage. Even if it was worse fuel economy (which it isn't), it would be worth it. It's a totally different driving experience than when I first owned it.

I think every engine conversion option is a better choice than the stock engine at least from an overall power and reliability standpoint. I really like the looks of the Bostig conversion. But the inline 4 VW gas or diesel and all the subie options are good too.

Wow, I contacted that guy on Craigslist asking for more information about that BJ60...

Now I see this thread. Good thing he never bothered to reply...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom