My 1984 FJ45 Troopy Restore (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, it is time that I get this going. I am doing a frame off restoration on my RHD 1984 FJ45 Troopy It has been going on for a few months now. It is a gasser with propane conversion on it. It has been my daily driver for a while and it always gets comments. I figured it was time to give her a make over. Here are some pictures of what she started out looking like.

Right now everything has been taken apart and removed from the frame. I have bought a 5 speed, OME heavy lift and a bunch of other expensive parts. The list goes on and on. As time permits I will try and update the thread and if any of you have any great ideas that I should do, please share them.
P6220003.jpg
P6220005.jpg
P6220006.JPG

She looks like a good platform to start from. I will ne following in your footsteps with a simulate RHD 1981.

Good luck and can't wait to see her in her well deserved glory.

Cheers,

Tear down pics

Here are a couple pics of the frame and the engine removed. The engine is going through a complete rebuild with all new seals, heads, gaskets, valves etc. The axles are going through a complete rebuild. The frame is going to be completely sanded down and dipped and then painted.
P1240084.jpg
P1240081.jpg
P1240080.jpg

Beautiful, you are doing her justice.

Is this a power steering disc brake truck?

wow, that will be beautiful. Going back with white?

My only advice is don't put the OME heavy on unless you have a bunch of weight. I ran the medium on mine and it was still too stiff. Unfortunately, it only netted 1/2" of lift in front with stock shackles and 2" in rear.

I can't wait! Looks like it is going to be amazing when done. Next time I am home visiting my folks in Boulder we will have to meet up.

So are you sticking with government white or going with a nicer color?

Josh

Troopy

It is a power steering disc brake truck. I wish it had AC, that is the only thing I didn't like.

I put the OME heavy springs on. I have the rear tire carrier and the front ARB bumper. I hope it is enough weight. I really am fond of my kidneys and dont want the beat to a pulp.

Right now I am 95% sure I am going to change the color. I love dune beige so that may be what she gets painted in.

Any thoughts on doing the interior bed with a color matched bed liner? I know it would be a little heavier but a little easier to clean and haul stuff with.

Dune beige, color code 464 is a good one. That's the color I painted Patches (which was also white in a previous life). I also like the color of my FJ40 LX - 6L4 olive.

I would do the bed liner myself but I have never had a rig with it in there, so I don't speak from experience; just envy of those with it.

Very easy to do air in that rig. Yokohama makes an under dash unit that works great (called the 747). Then you can get everything else from a US-spec FJ60 since you are running the 2F.

Josh

My 1980 is dune beige, but I think it's not 464. Has been my favorite stock color forever. I really like the olive that Jiriki is doing to his frame off troopy, that will be awesome.

I'm debating doing a spray in liner in mine or just POR15. The liner would be worth it if it drops the floorboard temps up front.

I have that Yoko 747 unit in mine and it's nice. I haven't had time to see if the OEM heater duct for an aircon rig fits yet, mine has a home made duct which loses much air and I also lost the passenger side defrost duct when the aircon was installed.

My 1980 is dune beige, but I think it's not 464. Has been my favorite stock color forever. I really like the olive that Jiriki is doing to his frame off troopy, that will be awesome.

I'm debating doing a spray in liner in mine or just POR15. The liner would be worth it if it drops the floorboard temps up front.

I have that Yoko 747 unit in mine and it's nice. I haven't had time to see if the OEM heater duct for an aircon rig fits yet, mine has a home made duct which loses much air and I also lost the passenger side defrost duct when the aircon was installed.

The factory duct does fit. I had factory air con in my LX, which has been replaced with the Yoko 747. I kept the factory duct.

I think the 464 color code came in 81, but I'm not sure. I don't recall teh code yours David, but I like that one better too.

Josh

Troopy

OK, things are moving along pretty quickly on the restore. Here are a couple pics of the frame and the engine put back on the frame. The frame was completely sanded and then dipped and then epoxy primed and painted. The lift is installed and the brake lines installed and some of the other little things. Axles have been rebuilt from end to end. The engine has a complete rebuild, new clutch, fly wheel, pressure plate, bearings. Waiting for new exhaust right now. Should have the radiator in and some of the rest of the parts by the middle of the week. Should be ready to fire it up and see what needs to be adjusted.
P2270006.jpg
P3140001.jpg
P3140003.jpg

Man, that looks great! Your flying.

Man, that looks great! Your flying.

Is that a 60 series 5 speed I see there? You are going to LOVE that addition. Are you keeping 4:11 gears?

I am so impressed with how quickly your rebuild is going - can't wait to see the body1

Josh

It is a power steering disc brake truck. I wish it had AC, that is the only thing I didn't like.

I put the OME heavy springs on. I have the rear tire carrier and the front ARB bumper. I hope it is enough weight. I really am fond of my kidneys and dont want the beat to a pulp.

Right now I am 95% sure I am going to change the color. I love dune beige so that may be what she gets painted in.

Any thoughts on doing the interior bed with a color matched bed liner? I know it would be a little heavier but a little easier to clean and haul stuff with.

Yes on Dune Beige and yes on the bedliner.

man i've been working on my project for a year an a half, you make me feel like a slacker! good looking so far....keep posting:cheers:

Troopy

If I remember right the transmission came out of a 75 series. It has been so long. By the time this is done, I probably will have to sell it. It is eating up a lot of money. I can't wait till it is done. I love driving it and it always got a lot of comments even though it was in rough shape.

Some more parts came in. I got new seat covers but will need to find a place for some new foam for the driver side. A lot of little stuff too.

Your frame is missing a cross member, is that to fit the 5 speed? Will you add anything to replace it?

Good eyes and good question. The 5 speed fits fine with the cross member in place, so whay did you take it out?

I bet after you are done you will not sell it - it will be far too nice:D

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom