My 1971 FJ40 Patina Queen (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oops, I see now he doesn’t have that port. I thought all 71’s had it. Pretty sure 65swb45 told me it receives full manifold vacuum.

Wow, thanks for all the help. This is great info. Glad I started this thread. As I mentioned at the start, this “project” will have to wait a little while bc of other projects already started. But you guys are really tempting an ADD guy like myself to jump right in and get started.

Mark

Thanks for the PM inviting comment. As I have said before, if I’m going to comment, I prefer to do so publicly, so that others may benefit as well.

The accelerator pump linkage is on backwards, and it looks like the secondary counterweight is frozen. I can easily add a vacuum advance port during a rebuild as well. Jetting is almost never the issue that people seem to make it out to be. The carburetor is more often the victim than the culprit.

Also keep in mind a mechanical secondary (what you have) will never let you down the way a 2F vacuum secondary can. But it is also true that a properly rebuilt and tuned carb trumps all.;)

Mark

Thanks for the PM inviting comment. As I have said before, if I’m going to comment, I prefer to do so publicly, so that others may benefit as well.

The accelerator pump linkage is on backwards, and it looks like the secondary counterweight is frozen. I can easily add a vacuum advance port during a rebuild as well. Jetting is almost never the issue that people seem to make it out to be. The carburetor is more often the victim than the culprit.

Also keep in mind a mechanical secondary (what you have) will never let you down the way a 2F vacuum secondary can. But it is also true that a properly rebuilt and tuned carb trumps all.;)

LOL you talk to me like you think I know what I’m talking about vs the semi noob idiot that I am. I am not sure I understand 1/2 of what you mentioned but I will do some reading and try to learn more. I know I have to have a starter, a carburetor and some fuel to try and get her running. I need to get it off the trailer and indoors out of the weather where it can sit for however long.

Did you ever get this 40 going?
Yes we did finally get it started. All that was needed was a slight adjustment to the Dizzy allowing the engine to be in proper timing and it fired right up. So now we can move forward. My buddy Bill aka @POPO AGIE has the 4 spd transmission and transfer case done so hopefully soon we will have this along w the new Birfields to build the four wheel disc brake system. The carburetor from @SlapSmak worked perfect.

It is not original for 1971. I don't believe emission equipment began until the 2F IN '72 and it was minimal. I owned a '71 many years and still have a '72. My '71 and '72 had no equipment like that under the hood. I could be wrong but neither one had that unit. Hope that helps. BTW: NICE CRUISER!

All that was needed was a slight adjustment to the Dizzy allowing the engine to be in proper timing and it fired right up.
And you tried to convince us that you didn’t know what you were doing 😂!

Based on my math skills and the info you provided earlier, this rig now belongs to your daughter as she is now 16. Right? 😝

Last edited:
@POPO AGIE has finished my H42 and TC. It has been delivered to the shippers. May arrive by Xmas, though with the snow who knows. Here is the thread for his rebuild work on the tranny and TC. So thankful for all the great guys (and girls) on this forum. This community is awesome.

shipping trans.jpg
shipping trans2.jpg
shipping trans3.jpg
shipping trans4.jpg
shipping trans5.jpg
shipping trans6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom