My 1969 frame off fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to start this thread to give me some motivation to keep going. It is a 3/69 fj40 that I have been working at for a couple of months. I have a couple of pictures of what it looked like when I first picked it up.

I have an fj60 I am using as an organ donor. I am getting ready to cut the floors out of the 60 and weld them in the 40 because there was hardly any steel left. Hopefully I can do it somewhat cleanly, match up the tranny hump with the implanted 4 speed and then lift the tub off of the frame. I will get some more pictures this weekend so you can see what a mess I've got myself into.

This website is awesome, and I would have tossed in the towel a week after I bought the rig if I hadn't seen what some other people have gone through.

Thanks,

Brian
fj40 001.jpg
fj40 002.jpg
fj40 003.jpg

wow an original soft top. youd better put that in your resto

( restore the softop)

there is a guy on here that makes them

good luck with everything!

getting ready to lift off the tub

I have the tub pretty much stripped. I have to cut the floors out of my donor 60 and tack them in to hold it together.

Here are some updated pictures.
Jesspcis 001.jpg
Jesspcis 005.jpg
Jesspcis 007.jpg

axles...

Now I am at a point of confusion and have been searching like crazy, so any advice is greatly appreciated...

I would like to use all that I can from my donor fj60, including all of the steering components (i.e. steering wheel all the way to the box). I am leaning towards swapping the axles. I have the fab equipment and the tech section so I think I can make my way through swapping. If I went in that direction, would I be able to bring all of the steering components over (i.e. tie rods ect.) to the 40?

Basically, I have a 40 that sat in the weather for 5 years with no top on and all I have that is salvagable is a the shell of a tub and a frame and I would like to utilize this donor fj60 for all that I can, so any direction is greatly apprectiated.

And if I have searched correctly, swapping the thirds from the 40 into the 60 housing is pretty straightforward isn't it? I'd like to keep the lower ratio.

I really appreciate any time you take to look at this post and thanks,

Brian

Almost forgot...

I am too poor to get a new soft top, so if anyone is looking to trade some hard top doors for the OEM soft top frame let me know;)

No doors, but how much do you want for the frame????

Mack Dog

The Mack Dog, albeit a nice touch, was the payment my friend wanted for pulling that hunk of rust home on a flatbed when I bought it.

I'd like to get enough out of the soft top frame to buy some doors in decent shape;) or even better, a motor.

In regards to my steering situation, if I use the 60 axles and steering wheel/column/shaft/box, ect. can I also make the the rest of the setup work without using the original 40 parts?

Thanks,

Brian

Having an idea...

I've been on the fence about steering on this thing. So I had the idea that maybe I could just sit the fj40 body on the fj60 frame. Has anyone ever done this? That way I wouldn't have to outboard axles, I could keep the 60 steering components, and just do enough fab work to make the body look decent. The only bad part on the 60 frame is the rear, so I could shorten it there and move the axle forward.

Please, if you have any experience or suggestions let me know.

Thanks,

Brian

I think it would be a lot of work to do the tub swap vs outboarding the spring mounts. You also need to worry about body mounts, getting is aligned, getting the fenders mounted(is the frame dimensions in the front the same - doubt it), etc.. If you're worried about the PS, check the FAQ's, there's a good writeup on the 60 PS swap. Or you could go saginaw or scout.

Still it would be cool to do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom