My 1968 FJ40 Patina Project. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been on the hunt for a new project for my wife and 4yr old son to be involved in for awhile. My wife loves the 40s she always sends me pictures when she spots one starts to guess the year and mods, just her all around favorite. So I set out to find a roller with rust, a lot of rust so I could get in cheep. And there are a lot to choose from so after many questions and conversations with my good friend @cruisermatt. I decided to hold off on my 1,000 to 1,500 rust bucket idea and save up. Somewhere in the 6 to 10 range and get a nice truck/roller to start with. Sold my wife on the idea and that’s that, we/I was going to save up. But I still had the itch my 60 project has almost come to an end. So I found myself still searching late at night in the hotel On Mud, Craigslist, marketplace. And then a week or so later I found Mav. I was so excited I could not stand it. I reached out to the owner and got the wheels moving. It happened to be in the same state I was currently working. So only out of pocket was the trailer rental. I was already driving home on the weekends so I just need to grab a u-haul for the Honda Civic I was buying and tow it home. Nice well maybe not I got the deal worked out and got the truck loaded and in the excitement I forgot to tell my wife about it! So I sent her some pictures and she said well I thought we were waiting and then told me not to bring that home under any circumstances. But what I thought she said is I can’t wait to see you I love surprises!!!! So I figured I would shoot her a pic of it on the trailer when I stopped for fuel! Because we got disconnected most likely the bad cell reception. Lol big mistake my phone blew up and you thought extended warranty calls were bad. I had to block my own wife the entire drive home! So 7hr later I pull in the drive and my son can’t wait to get inside. He played and played so now I’m in the process of cleaning the the exterior with CLR and doing a rust converter and then linseed oil. All is good on the home front wife loves it. She even took a tour of a few nice 40s over at Cruiser Matt’s shop in winter park to get an idea of the height she wants.

6BC87A51-C75E-4967-A173-6CE22A3776BC.jpeg

04E87DC5-AFFA-4BC0-BD18-727FB13091E2.jpeg

B4F2F566-D089-462D-856B-D19B598E7959.jpeg

37ABE08F-E303-4A8B-B5A2-7F6D83189202.jpeg

That looks like a great find. Congratulations! It looks like it will make a great patina 40.

Anyone recognize that front bumper as a Toyota offering? Looks awfully alot like the Scout 80/800 bumpers. Just cruious is all, never seen a bumper like that on a 40. I like it.

Congrats, looking forward to following along with your build!

Almost missed that rad looking 60 in the background! That thing looks like a monster. You have good taste.

I have been on the hunt for a new project for my wife and 4yr old son to be involved in for awhile. My wife loves the 40s she always sends me pictures when she spots one starts to guess the year and mods, just her all around favorite. So I set out to find a roller with rust, a lot of rust so I could get in cheep. And there are a lot to choose from so after many questions and conversations with my good friend @cruisermatt. I decided to hold off on my 1,000 to 1,500 rust bucket idea and save up. Somewhere in the 6 to 10 range and get a nice truck/roller to start with. Sold my wife on the idea and that’s that, we/I was going to save up. But I still had the itch my 60 project has almost come to an end. So I found myself still searching late at night in the hotel On Mud, Craigslist, marketplace. And then a week or so later I found Mav. I was so excited I could not stand it. I reached out to the owner and got the wheels moving. It happened to be in the same state I was currently working. So only out of pocket was the trailer rental. I was already driving home on the weekends so I just need to grab a u-haul for the Honda Civic I was buying and tow it home. Nice well maybe not I got the deal worked out and got the truck loaded and in the excitement I forgot to tell my wife about it! So I sent her some pictures and she said well I thought we were waiting and then told me not to bring that home under any circumstances. But what I thought she said is I can’t wait to see you I love surprises!!!! So I figured I would shoot her a pic of it on the trailer when I stopped for fuel! Because we got disconnected most likely the bad cell reception. Lol big mistake my phone blew up and you thought extended warranty calls were bad. I had to block my own wife the entire drive home! So 7hr later I pull in the drive and my son can’t wait to get inside. He played and played so now I’m in the process of cleaning the the exterior with CLR and doing a rust converter and then linseed oil. All is good on the home front wife loves it. She even took a tour of a few nice 40s over at Cruiser Matt’s shop in winter park to get an idea of the height she wants.

View attachment 2864041

View attachment 2864074

View attachment 2864075

View attachment 2864076
A few days ago, I gave it a good rinse and started with the hood CLR first picture and Rust Converter second.

DEBD1AE6-48C6-4A61-BB19-70E8018F9E14.jpeg

A8FC49D5-8A83-46A7-AD24-8A43DC2A013A.jpeg

Anyone recognize that front bumper as a Toyota offering? Looks awfully alot like the Scout 80/800 bumpers. Just cruious is all, never seen a bumper like that on a 40. I like it.

Almost missed that rad looking 60 in the background! That thing looks like a monster. You have good taste.

Thank you yea the 60 is a big girl she is my daily!

I agree, great story and cool looking rig! I have now had 2 rigs that were dune beige, and someday I really want a light blue one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom