My 100 Series Roof Rack Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the infancy stages of designing a roof rack for our 100 Series Land Cruiser. We've pretty much decided to go with 3/4" x .125 Aluminum tube with 1/8" 2" x 1" uprights and stringers, although there is some discussion of using 1" Aluminum for the base and 3/4" for the top railing. I will have bar stock tabs for mounting 4 lights in the front and rear with 2 tabs on port & starboard for LED's.

Any ideas or recommendations encouraged!

A couple guys on here have used 80/20 T-slot extruded aluminum bars on their racks. That stuff looks pretty practical and if you're already using aluminum...

I built an aluminum tube frame rack for my 62 and loved it. Research and plan around different diameters for aluminum pipe, tube, and electrical conduit. Mcmaster has good fitting selection and what I used. If you go 1.25 there are more connector options as that was a size used in handrails, might've been 1.5 but look into it. Electrical conduit can be bought in pre-bent 90s, otherwise you'll want to have a shop bend it (and this is where tube is better) which was the route I took. Benefit to using pipe is the fittings off the shelf for attaching stuff like hilift and shovels, lights, etc. Overall a very fun project and mine iterated 2 or 3 times over the years!

land sharks rack.PNG

If you need roof mounts I have (6) from Trail Tailor for sale, $100 shipped OBO

I built an aluminum tube frame rack for my 62 and loved it. Research and plan around different diameters for aluminum pipe, tube, and electrical conduit. Mcmaster has good fitting selection and what I used. If you go 1.25 there are more connector options as that was a size used in handrails, might've been 1.5 but look into it. Electrical conduit can be bought in pre-bent 90s, otherwise you'll want to have a shop bend it (and this is where tube is better) which was the route I took. Benefit to using pipe is the fittings off the shelf for attaching stuff like hilift and shovels, lights, etc. Overall a very fun project and mine iterated 2 or 3 times over the years!

View attachment 1405851

If you need roof mounts I have (6) from Trail Tailor for sale, $100 shipped OBO
I wish I could use gutter mounts....contemplating utilizing my existing roof rack....

I wish I could use gutter mounts....contemplating utilizing my existing roof rack....

<confused>
you CAN use the TT ones, they are made specifically for the 100 and perfect for this sort of project:
Adjustable Lo-Pro Rail Mounts 100 200 Series

I bought them with the intent to build another custom rack for my 100, but when I started making the KISS Drawers realized I had no time for it, and bought one instead. $100 for (6) shipped is a great deal, PM me if you're interested.

@Aaron13 - sorry, sold - I should've posted in a main thread ages ago, I had those brackets for sale for 6 months in the classifieds and now sold in a day and 3 other offers! Sheesh;(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom